A different n00b needs help

dj_dippa_fan

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2002
Hi all
I have mandrake 9.0 and i installed it today for the first time. How do i access NTFS partitions? Btw i cant connect to the internet, the installer recognized my cards and its not working for some reason. Is there an internet connection wizard for mandrake? Thanks in advance

razvan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
> How do i access NTFS partitions?

You need to compile a kernel that supports NTFS partitions. Then you must mount the partition.

>Is there an internet connection wizard for mandrake?

In Slackware there is an utility called netconfig. Since I am only using Slackware I don't know what is the equivalent on Mandrake.

Razvan

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
NTFS read support is already built in, so you don't need a new kernel. The partitions are probably in /mnt/nt/ and /mnt/nt2/ and such.

Reading is supported, writing is not guaranteed (so definitely don't do it to your windows parititon).

You probably didn't enable dhcp. Enable it in netconf and you'll be up and running most likely.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

razvan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>NTFS read support is already built in, so you don't need a new kernel.

It depends on the distribution. Because the install kernel should fit on a FDD, NTFS support is not enabled by default.

>Reading is supported, writing is not guaranteed (so definitely don't do it to your windows parititon).

Writing is NOT supported. There is no problem if you try. You cannot write anything on a NTFS patition because it can only be mounted read-only.

Razvan

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
You are in a bit of a stick. I would recommend, assuming you ever reinstall windows, to use FAT32, that way you should be able to read and write to the partition.

In a world without <font color=red>walls </font color=red>or <font color=green>fences </font color=green>, what use have we for <font color=red>Windows </font color=red>or <font color=green>Gates.</font color=green>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
NTFS support (read only) is enabled by default for Mandrake 9.0 (which he has).

Writing won't work though.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

rollingrock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2001
An alternative, mandrake 9 specific method to enable dhcp and what not is to use the mandrake control center -> Network & Internet -> Connection then use the wizard there and be sure to select use dhcp.

I've taken more good from alcohol than alcohol has taken from me --Twain

Latest posts