Irritating Explorer behaviour

Hi
I recently got my new laptop, preinstalled with WinXP Home Edition. In
Explorer, when I double click a folder, a search window opens, instead of a
folder displaying the folder contents.
In the popup menu, "Search" is highlighted, on top of the menu.

How can I alter those settings, so that "Open" is the default?

Please tell me it can be done, as it is the laptop is virtually useless...

took a whole 1 second on google !!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=double+click+opens+search+instead+of+folder&meta=
--
there are no problems just challenges

"Haleth" wrote:

> Hi
> I recently got my new laptop, preinstalled with WinXP Home Edition. In
> Explorer, when I double click a folder, a search window opens, instead of a
> folder displaying the folder contents.
> In the popup menu, "Search" is highlighted, on top of the menu.
>
> How can I alter those settings, so that "Open" is the default?
>
> Please tell me it can be done, as it is the laptop is virtually useless...

Thanks! Will try as soon as I get home.
I had "popup" among my search criteria, that's probably why I couldn't find
it ;D