Searching tool for lossless (!) 90 deg. rotating (and savi..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.win2000.general,comp.os.ms-windows.misc (More info?)

I would like to rotate 90 degrees (and afterwards save) a couple of jpg/jpeg files.
Unfortuantely the saving operation is done by the most graphic programs I have seen
only with a (minimum) loss of quality. Is there a tool which allows rotating without
loss of data/re-compression?

Frank

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:4327cad6$0$2114$9b4e6d93@newsread2.arcor-online.net,
Frank Callone <inn200@hotmail.com> had this to say:

> I would like to rotate 90 degrees (and afterwards save) a couple of
> jpg/jpeg files. Unfortuantely the saving operation is done by the
> most graphic programs I have seen only with a (minimum) loss of
> quality. Is there a tool which allows rotating without loss of
> data/re-compression?
>
> Frank

I'd try XnView... www.xnview.com and it's free too. I'm pretty sure
transitions/rotations are lossless??? It's small enough and the price is
right to see if it fits your needs.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

http://www.jpegclub.org/losslessapps.html

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

Frank Callone wrote:
> I would like to rotate 90 degrees (and afterwards save) a couple of
> jpg/jpeg files. Unfortuantely the saving operation is done by the
> most graphic programs I have seen only with a (minimum) loss of
> quality. Is there a tool which allows rotating without loss of
> data/re-compression?

They all rotate without loss as far as I know but if you save in JPEG
then you are probably recompressing even with settings at minimum. save
as a bitmap BMP instead.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=lossless+jpg

Frank Callone wrote:

> I would like to rotate 90 degrees (and afterwards save) a couple of jpg/jpeg files.
> Unfortuantely the saving operation is done by the most graphic programs I have seen
> only with a (minimum) loss of quality. Is there a tool which allows rotating without
> loss of data/re-compression?
>
> Frank

IrfanView

http://www.irfanview.com/

You'll need to also download and install the plugins to get the
JPG_TRANSFORM plugin which allows IrfanView to support lossless JPG
operations.

http://www.irfanview.com/plugins.htm

Easiest thing is to get all the plugins in one download and install the
bunch at once.

--
Tim Rude

timrude@NOSPAM.hotmail.com
(remove NOSPAM. for correct email address)

inn200@hotmail.com (Frank Callone) writes:
> I would like to rotate 90 degrees (and afterwards save) a couple of
> jpg/jpeg files. Unfortuantely the saving operation is done by the
> most graphic programs I have seen only with a (minimum) loss of
> quality. Is there a tool which allows rotating without loss of
> data/re-compression?

You set a followup to an XP newsgroup.

If you have XP, the rotate left and right that is bound to your right
mousebutton is lossless with certain caveats about source resolution.
I'm unable to find where that's documented right now though.

Alternatively, Irfanview.com has a free image viewer that, with its
plug in package installed provides a lossless JPEG rotation plugin.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

"Frank Callone" <inn200@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I would like to rotate 90 degrees (and afterwards save) a couple of
>jpg/jpeg files.
> Unfortuantely the saving operation is done by the most graphic programs I
> have seen
> only with a (minimum) loss of quality. Is there a tool which allows
> rotating without
> loss of data/re-compression?
>
> Frank

Paint Shop Pro 9

McG.

"Frank Callone" <inn200@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I would like to rotate 90 degrees (and afterwards save) a couple of
>jpg/jpeg files.
> Unfortuantely the saving operation is done by the most graphic programs I
> have seen
> only with a (minimum) loss of quality. Is there a tool which allows
> rotating without
> loss of data/re-compression?
>
> Frank

Rotation is done in memory>swap space. No lossiness yet. Saving a .JPG
with regular encoding will result in some compression but not necessarily
lossiness. Paint Shop Pro 9 has a selection in Image Save>Save As options
for saving to .Jpg format just for Lossless Encoding. You can still also
retain EXIF data intact. If I do the rotation in the camera, no problem.
If I do it after it is saved to the hd then I have to be careful of this
with .JPG format.
McG.

McGrandpa wrote:
> "Frank Callone" <inn200@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I would like to rotate 90 degrees (and afterwards save) a couple of
>>jpg/jpeg files.
>>Unfortuantely the saving operation is done by the most graphic programs I
>>have seen
>>only with a (minimum) loss of quality. Is there a tool which allows
>>rotating without
>>loss of data/re-compression?
>>
>>Frank
>>

> Rotation is done in memory>swap space. No lossiness yet. Saving a .JPG
> with regular encoding will result in some compression but not necessarily
> lossiness. Paint Shop Pro 9 has a selection in Image Save>Save As options
> for saving to .Jpg format just for Lossless Encoding. You can still also
> retain EXIF data intact. If I do the rotation in the camera, no problem.
> If I do it after it is saved to the hd then I have to be careful of this
> with .JPG format.
> McG.

IrfanView (www.irfanview.com) is a great free image viewer/converter
that also has a set of loss-less JPEG operations:

Flip horizontal
Rotate 90
Rotate 180
Rotate 270
Auto rotate based on EXIF orientation flag
Optimise
Remove markers (such as EXIF, IPTC)

johnf

Irfanview - convert to tif, rotate, save as original format.

--

johnf

In article <4327cad6$0$2114$9b4e6d93@newsread2.arcor-online.net>,
Frank Callone <inn200@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I would like to rotate 90 degrees (and afterwards save) a couple of
>jpg/jpeg files.
>Unfortuantely the saving operation is done by the most graphic programs
>I have seen
>only with a (minimum) loss of quality. Is there a tool which allows
>rotating without
>loss of data/re-compression?

As has been mentioned, IrfanView will do this with a supplied plug-in. A
standalone program based on JPEGTRAN is JPEGCROP, which in addition to
doing lossless cropping will also do rotation:

http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/
http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/jpegcrop.zip