How to Use Dumpchk.exe to check a memory dump file

When I typed dumpchk c:\windows\minidump min091405-01, the computer told me
that DebugClient cannot open DumpFile - error 80070002. I don't konw what
the wrong is. Please help me. Thank you.
1 answer Last reply
More about dumpchk check memory dump file

    8007 errors mean the last 4 digits are a Win 32 error number, so type

    C:\Program Files\Support Tools>net helpmsg 2

    If you look at what you typed in your message, and that is what you actually typed then it's not surprising.
    dumpchk c:\windows\minidump min091405-01

    or is it

    dumpchk c:\windows\minidump\min091405-01

    but as dump files have extensions this still won't work.

    dumpchk c:\windows\minidump min091405-01.dmp

    might if everything else you said is correct.

    Dumpchk does nothing useful (except verify that it's a valid dump). If you are trying to find what is says then the info is in english (or gibberish) in Event Viewer.

    If you want to solve a blue screen do this

    Type verifier in Start Run, follow the wizard but choose All Drivers. This will slow down your computer and cause more blue screen crashes but will pinpoint what is causing the crash (if the original error message didn't). Once you fix it you rerun verifier and turn it off.

    If you can't start after enabling verifier
    choose Last Known Good Configuration at the Failed Boot menu (which will
    start without verifier).

    You will be creating a crash dump file in c:\windows\minidump every blue screen. Make sure you are set to record minidumps (Small Memory Dumps) - type it in Help to see how.

    Then

    If you have the XP SP2 Security Update CD (else see
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/­devtools/debugging/symbolpkg.m­spx
    )

    Install symbols from <CD Drive Letter>:\SUPPORT\SYMBOLS

    Download
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx

    Load the crash dump file into windbg
    and read what it says. You may need to tell it where the symbols are. Read it.
    Type
    !Analyze -v
    into Windbg's command line.
    (this will hopefully tell you the faulty component)

    If the above is too technical then email the crash dump files to davidc @ mvps.org. Don't send me lots of them. Just the one from your last crash after you turn verifier on. And only one per mail.

    You can look up specific details here
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ddtools/hh/ddtools/BCIntro_ea8b9fd0-2d81-4a04-a7ed-c1c6a80bd501.xml.asp

    If it indicates faulty memory might be the cause you can get a memory tester
    here
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/wi­ndiag.asp

    If it mentions a core windows system file, meaning it a MS fix is required,
    upload a minidump to

    http://oca.microsoft.com

    Also try typing the main error code in Help while online (ie,
    Stop 0x50
    and also try in the 8 digit form
    stop 0x00000050)
    and if there are too many hits use a filename if available. Generally memory
    addresses are different for each computer (as each computer has a different
    mix of drivers) so parameters that are memory addresses aren't that useful for searching, but NTStatus codes are (plus you can look them up here http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/mingw/w32api/include/ddk/ntstatus.h?rev=1.2).

    "ANDYZENG" <ANDYZENG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4B6BE012-25AE-4FA3-86DC-52B955B13DA1@microsoft.com...
    > When I typed dumpchk c:\windows\minidump min091405-01, the computer told me
    > that DebugClient cannot open DumpFile - error 80070002. I don't konw what
    > the wrong is. Please help me. Thank you.

Memory Dump Microsoft Windows XP