Home network problems with xp home and xp pro

September 14, 2005 5:14:03 AM

I am trying to set up a home network to connect my laptop (with xp pro) to my
desktop (with xp home) i am using a 3com office conect router as a hub.

With the fire walls on each machine switched off I can see each of the
machines from each other.

I can share files on the laptop with the desktop, but when I try to access
the desktop from the laptop I get the following message :-

\\xxxxxxx is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
network resource.

Login Failure : the user has not been granted the requested logon type at
this computer.

File and printer sharing etc are switched on etc.
Netbios over TCP/IP is enabled
Bothe machines are set to obrain ip adress automatically
the router has dhcp server enabled.

can anyone help?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 14, 2005 5:44:08 AM

Hi

Share a folder from the desktop. Right click on the folder shared, go to
Sharing, permissions and add "everyone".

Regards

"Richard" wrote:

> I am trying to set up a home network to connect my laptop (with xp pro) to my
> desktop (with xp home) i am using a 3com office conect router as a hub.
>
> With the fire walls on each machine switched off I can see each of the
> machines from each other.
>
> I can share files on the laptop with the desktop, but when I try to access
> the desktop from the laptop I get the following message :-
>
> \\xxxxxxx is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> network resource.
>
> Login Failure : the user has not been granted the requested logon type at
> this computer.
>
> File and printer sharing etc are switched on etc.
> Netbios over TCP/IP is enabled
> Bothe machines are set to obrain ip adress automatically
> the router has dhcp server enabled.
>
> can anyone help?
September 14, 2005 6:09:03 AM

I already have shared a shared printer aswell as shared folders, but it
doesn't seem to work

"Grego" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Share a folder from the desktop. Right click on the folder shared, go to
> Sharing, permissions and add "everyone".
>
> Regards
>

> "Richard" wrote:
>
> > I am trying to set up a home network to connect my laptop (with xp pro) to my
> > desktop (with xp home) i am using a 3com office conect router as a hub.
> >
> > With the fire walls on each machine switched off I can see each of the
> > machines from each other.
> >
> > I can share files on the laptop with the desktop, but when I try to access
> > the desktop from the laptop I get the following message :-
> >
> > \\xxxxxxx is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> > network resource.
> >
> > Login Failure : the user has not been granted the requested logon type at
> > this computer.
> >
> > File and printer sharing etc are switched on etc.
> > Netbios over TCP/IP is enabled
> > Bothe machines are set to obrain ip adress automatically
> > the router has dhcp server enabled.
> >
> > can anyone help?
a b D Laptop
September 14, 2005 6:13:02 AM

But did you grant access for everyone for the folder you've shared?

"Richard" wrote:

> I already have shared a shared printer aswell as shared folders, but it
> doesn't seem to work
>
> "Grego" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Share a folder from the desktop. Right click on the folder shared, go to
> > Sharing, permissions and add "everyone".
> >
> > Regards
> >

> > "Richard" wrote:
> >
> > > I am trying to set up a home network to connect my laptop (with xp pro) to my
> > > desktop (with xp home) i am using a 3com office conect router as a hub.
> > >
> > > With the fire walls on each machine switched off I can see each of the
> > > machines from each other.
> > >
> > > I can share files on the laptop with the desktop, but when I try to access
> > > the desktop from the laptop I get the following message :-
> > >
> > > \\xxxxxxx is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> > > network resource.
> > >
> > > Login Failure : the user has not been granted the requested logon type at
> > > this computer.
> > >
> > > File and printer sharing etc are switched on etc.
> > > Netbios over TCP/IP is enabled
> > > Bothe machines are set to obrain ip adress automatically
> > > the router has dhcp server enabled.
> > >
> > > can anyone help?
September 14, 2005 6:30:02 AM

I have checked the box to share the file on the network and also allow the
network users to change my files

is there any other way?

regards

Richard

"Grego" wrote:

> But did you grant access for everyone for the folder you've shared?
>

> "Richard" wrote:
>
> > I already have shared a shared printer aswell as shared folders, but it
> > doesn't seem to work
> >
> > "Grego" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Share a folder from the desktop. Right click on the folder shared, go to
> > > Sharing, permissions and add "everyone".
> > >
> > > Regards

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 14, 2005 6:36:03 AM

Yes.

Right click on the shared folder, Properties\Sharing. There you can see a
button Permissions. See if Everyone is added. If it is, check the rights for
ths group.

"Richard" wrote:

> I have checked the box to share the file on the network and also allow the
> network users to change my files
>
> is there any other way?
>
> regards
>
> Richard
>
> "Grego" wrote:
>
> > But did you grant access for everyone for the folder you've shared?
> >

> > "Richard" wrote:
> >
> > > I already have shared a shared printer aswell as shared folders, but it
> > > doesn't seem to work

September 14, 2005 7:42:03 AM

I cannot see the permissions button (the only options I get are, "Share this
filder on the network" and "Allow network users to change my files"

is permissions something that needs switching on?

"Grego" wrote:

> Yes.
>
> Right click on the shared folder, Properties\Sharing. There you can see a
> button Permissions. See if Everyone is added. If it is, check the rights for
> ths group.
>
> "Richard" wrote:
>
> > I have checked the box to share the file on the network and also allow the
> > network users to change my files
> >
> > is there any other way?
> >
> > regards
> >
> > Richard
> >
> > "Grego" wrote:
> >
> > > But did you grant access for everyone for the folder you've shared?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 14, 2005 1:16:38 PM

In article <3DB211C8-6630-4F9B-94B3-FEE632BAE446@microsoft.com>,
"Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>I am trying to set up a home network to connect my laptop (with xp pro) to my
>desktop (with xp home) i am using a 3com office conect router as a hub.
>
>With the fire walls on each machine switched off I can see each of the
>machines from each other.
>
>I can share files on the laptop with the desktop, but when I try to access
>the desktop from the laptop I get the following message :-
>
>\\xxxxxxx is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
>network resource.
>
>Login Failure : the user has not been granted the requested logon type at
>this computer.
>
>File and printer sharing etc are switched on etc.
>Netbios over TCP/IP is enabled
>Bothe machines are set to obrain ip adress automatically
>the router has dhcp server enabled.
>
>can anyone help?

The: "Logon failure" message indicates a specific problem on the
desktop computer.

Run XP's Network Setup Wizard on the desktop computer. If the wizard
detects the router's shared Internet connection, tell it to use that
connection. Otherwise, tell it that the computer connects to the
Internet through a residential gateway. Reboot the desktop and try
accessing it again over the network.

If that doesn't fix the problem, this should do the job:

1. Download and install the Windows 2003 Server Resource Kit Tools
from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=4544 .

2. Click Start | All Programs | Windows Resource Kit Tools | Command
Shell.

3. Type these lines at the command prompt. The second and third
commands are case-sensitive, so type them exactly as shown. Note the
"+r" in the second one and the "-r" in the third one:

net user guest /active:yes
ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
September 14, 2005 1:34:08 PM

"Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Login Failure : the user has not been granted the requested logon
> type at this computer.

There is your clue. Security information in a peer-to-peer network is held
on each machine locally, therefore you need to tell each machine which users
are authorised to access it. Set up a User on the desktop exactly the same
as the user on the laptop and see if that helps.
September 14, 2005 1:34:09 PM

I will try tis when I get Home

In article <uYFPzbQuFHA.2864@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, "Gordon"
<gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>>I am trying to set up a home network to connect my laptop (with xp pro) to my
>>desktop (with xp home) i am using a 3com office conect router as a hub.
>>
>>With the fire walls on each machine switched off I can see each of the
>>machines from each other.
>>
>>I can share files on the laptop with the desktop, but when I try to access
>>the desktop from the laptop I get the following message :-
>>
>>\\xxxxxxx is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
>>network resource.
>>
>>Login Failure : the user has not been granted the requested logon type at
>>this computer.
>>
>>File and printer sharing etc are switched on etc.
>>Netbios over TCP/IP is enabled
>>Bothe machines are set to obrain ip adress automatically
>>the router has dhcp server enabled.
>>
>>can anyone help?
>
>There is your clue. Security information in a peer-to-peer network is held
>on each machine locally, therefore you need to tell each machine which users
>are authorised to access it. Set up a User on the desktop exactly the same
>as the user on the laptop and see if that helps.

Creating matching user accounts can be necessary when:

1. The computer being accessed runs XP Professional, and:
2. You've explicitly disabled simple file sharing on XP Professional.

In that situation, XP Pro only grants networked access to user
accounts that it recognizes, i.e. that are defined on the local
computer.

However, isn't the case here. The computer that can't be accessed
runs XP Home Edition. XP Home Edition should grant network access to
all users on all computers, with no need for matching user accounts.

[...]

September 14, 2005 2:48:06 PM

"Grego" <Grego@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> But did you grant access for everyone for the folder you've shared?

If there is not a user set up that is exactly the same as the user on the
laptop, that user will not be in the "everyone" group on the desktop and so
will still not be granted access.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 14, 2005 3:14:02 PM

Check the computer name, computer description and the workgroup name on each
of the computers. I have XP Home on my laptop and XP Pro on my 2 desktops.
I think with XP's default security settings they should all be in the same
workgroup. Another thing, is you need to be logged in as an Administrator
to make any of these changes to the networking, file and printer sharing.
I did get all mine working together, but it took me deleting the shares i
started off with and creating new shares for the laptop with XP Home. I
find that not all the admin tools are available in XP Home that I have in XP
Pro.
McG.

>I cannot see the permissions button (the only options I get are, "Share
>this
> filder on the network" and "Allow network users to change my files"
>
> is permissions something that needs switching on?
>
> "Grego" wrote:
>
>> Yes.
>>
>> Right click on the shared folder, Properties\Sharing. There you can see a
>> button Permissions. See if Everyone is added. If it is, check the rights
>> for
>> ths group.
>>
>> "Richard" wrote:
>>
>> > I have checked the box to share the file on the network and also allow
>> > the
>> > network users to change my files
>> >
>> > is there any other way?
>> >
>> > regards
>> >
>> > Richard

September 14, 2005 3:14:03 PM

Thanks for that,

The domain name is the same on both

do you mean I should try "unsharing" the directories which are currently
shared and then re-share them?

regards

Richard

"McGrandpa" wrote:

> Check the computer name, computer description and the workgroup name on each
> of the computers. I have XP Home on my laptop and XP Pro on my 2 desktops.
> I think with XP's default security settings they should all be in the same
> workgroup. Another thing, is you need to be logged in as an Administrator
> to make any of these changes to the networking, file and printer sharing.
> I did get all mine working together, but it took me deleting the shares i
> started off with and creating new shares for the laptop with XP Home. I
> find that not all the admin tools are available in XP Home that I have in XP
> Pro.
> McG.
>
> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I cannot see the permissions button (the only options I get are, "Share
> >this
> > filder on the network" and "Allow network users to change my files"
> >
> > is permissions something that needs switching on?
> >
> > "Grego" wrote:
> >
> >> Yes.
> >>
> >> Right click on the shared folder, Properties\Sharing. There you can see a
> >> button Permissions. See if Everyone is added. If it is, check the rights
> >> for
> >> ths group.

September 14, 2005 4:13:01 PM

"Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I cannot see the permissions button (the only options I get are,
> "Share this filder on the network" and "Allow network users to change
> my files"
>
> is permissions something that needs switching on?

In XP Home you can't access the permissions tab unless you are logged-in as
The Administrator. (In Home Edition, only in Safe Mode)
September 14, 2005 4:37:58 PM

> Thanks for that,
>
> The domain name is the same on both

If you have REALLY put in a Domain Name, you need to change it to a
"Workgroup"
September 14, 2005 4:37:59 PM

sorry I meant work group
"Gordon" wrote:

> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for that,
> >
> > The domain name is the same on both
>
> If you have REALLY put in a Domain Name, you need to change it to a
> "Workgroup"

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 15, 2005 1:48:12 AM

Workgroup and domain are not the same thing. A workgroup is a label, a
domain is an IP. And yes, I did mean to unshare a machines assets
completely, then redo the sharing from the beginning for the one that can't
be seen by the other.
McG.

!