Intel fan noise

hankscorpio

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2004
I just bought a boxed Intel P4 2.4a to replace my old P3-667. When I run both my P3 and P4 fans run at 4000 rpm, the P4 fan is much noisier to an extent it sounds like a hairdryer. The only time where the P4 fan is as quiet as the P3 fan is when I set it to 2000 rpm. I mean theres surely something wrong with the P4 fan right? Same rpm, but P4 fan is much more noisier.

hankscorpio

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2004
Nah, won't be getting that. It's more messy and bulky than air cooling. And it'll probably cost twice as much, if not mroe.

your correct...but there hella fun. Why not buy a third party fan designed for near silent operation?

I am a small fat ginger kid and I lob cow pats at old people, please be my friend

hankscorpio

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2004
Maybe I will but I just blew 850 on my upgrades so i'm trying to keep costs low. And if I could confirm that the P4 fan is indeed faulty, I could rma one new fan which may operate as silent as my P3 fan.

..perhaps the p4 fan is design to have increased air flow - thus more noise? p4's run hotter than p3's, so they need increased air flow to rid them selfs of the heat.

I am a small fat ginger kid and I lob cow pats at old people, please be my friend

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Is the fan connected using the 3 pin connection to the motherboard or do you use the 3-pin to 4-pin converter and connect it to a Molex?

Abit IS7 @ 275 FSB, VAGP @ 1.65, OCZ PC4200 RAM @ 550Mhz, P4 2.4 @ 3.3Ghz Vcore @ 1.625, GeXCube Radeon 9600P @ 450/626.
Thermalright SLK-947U, P3 HS @ NB.

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
Let it run for a while and see if it quiet downs.

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>

endyen

Splendid
The fan motor makes very little noise. What you hear is the vibration caused by moving air. If you are moving twice as much air, there will be twice as much sound.
Since the P4 puts out twice the power in watts as a P3 you need twice the amount of air to keep it cool. Such is life. Just be glad you didn't get a P4e which puts out twice as much heat as your new chip. It's fan is rather loud.

sonoran

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2002
A P4 fan will be noisier than a P3 fan. It's just a fact of life that more transistors produce more heat. But I do know that there have been some tweaks to P4 fan design over time. I have no idea how they handle such issues, but it might be worth a call to Intel customer support to discuss the issue with them. It's probably a long shot, but in a best case scenario they might send you a newer, quieter design? No harm in asking.

Best wishes...

* Not speaking for Intel Corp *