8gb ram or more????

handsman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
I know that to add more than 8gbs of ram you need win7 pro or ultimate.

My question is, do i go for pro or ultimate? (Upgrade)

Also what are the true benefits of having say, 12 or 16gb of ram? hanks in advance.

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

no its you need a 64bit os otherwise it wont ever show more than 4gig usable other than that 8gb is heaps for gaming and only use more if for professional use

ttcboy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
To go more then 3GB of ram, u will need any window of 64bit version.

If your intention is to play game or do some light photo/video editing, 8GB is more then enough but if your aim is for heavy photo/video editing, 3D modelling etc.. , more ram will help.

jtenorj

Distinguished
Actually, win 7 home premium 64bit supports up to 16GB(a limit set on that version by microsoft) and 128GB for more expensive versions( again a limit imposed by microsoft). Echoing ram usage, 8GB is plenty for most gaming and light work, but heavier workloads/heavy multitasking can make use of more ram. If you happen to play minecraft, it can use as much ram as you can throw at it.

Xttony

Distinguished
As others have previously mentioned you need 64 bit to get pass the 4 gB (Video ram + desktop ram) limit.

You would not have any actual benefit for having huge amount of ram unless there is such a power hungry application ( like autocad inventor).

If you are using 64 bit for gaming then 8 gB is enough also Four 2 gB cards will work much faster than one 8 gB card (as they work at same frequency, so of you use up more than 7 gB then your pc will work 4 times slower for one 8 gb card if you have quad channel).

Also try to fill up your slots that way you can use the dual/triple/quad channel benefits.

drifter77

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
I agree with the above posts. If you're going for gaming, 8 GB of RAM will be more than enough with a good graphic card. If you're using any type of CPU hogs like Autocad / Photoshop / Maya ...etc, it will still work fine.

I suggest you get 12 or 16 Gigs only if you're rendering, other than that, it's a waste of money.