Sign in with
Your question

8gb ram or more????

Last response: in Windows 7
November 27, 2012 4:26:18 AM

I know that to add more than 8gbs of ram you need win7 pro or ultimate.

My question is, do i go for pro or ultimate? (Upgrade)

Also what are the true benefits of having say, 12 or 16gb of ram? hanks in advance.

More about : 8gb ram

November 27, 2012 4:32:47 AM

handsman said:
I know that to add more than 8gbs of ram you need win7 pro or ultimate.

My question is, do i go for pro or ultimate? (Upgrade)

Also what are the true benefits of having say, 12 or 16gb of ram? hanks in advance.

no its you need a 64bit os otherwise it wont ever show more than 4gig usable other than that 8gb is heaps for gaming and only use more if for professional use
November 27, 2012 4:35:53 AM

To go more then 3GB of ram, u will need any window of 64bit version.

If your intention is to play game or do some light photo/video editing, 8GB is more then enough but if your aim is for heavy photo/video editing, 3D modelling etc.. , more ram will help.
Related resources
November 27, 2012 4:59:03 AM

Actually, win 7 home premium 64bit supports up to 16GB(a limit set on that version by microsoft) and 128GB for more expensive versions( again a limit imposed by microsoft). Echoing ram usage, 8GB is plenty for most gaming and light work, but heavier workloads/heavy multitasking can make use of more ram. If you happen to play minecraft, it can use as much ram as you can throw at it.
November 27, 2012 8:12:57 AM

As others have previously mentioned you need 64 bit to get pass the 4 gB (Video ram + desktop ram) limit.

You would not have any actual benefit for having huge amount of ram unless there is such a power hungry application ( like autocad inventor).

If you are using 64 bit for gaming then 8 gB is enough also Four 2 gB cards will work much faster than one 8 gB card (as they work at same frequency, so of you use up more than 7 gB then your pc will work 4 times slower for one 8 gb card if you have quad channel).

Also try to fill up your slots that way you can use the dual/triple/quad channel benefits.
November 29, 2012 11:38:28 AM

I agree with the above posts. If you're going for gaming, 8 GB of RAM will be more than enough with a good graphic card. If you're using any type of CPU hogs like Autocad / Photoshop / Maya ...etc, it will still work fine.

I suggest you get 12 or 16 Gigs only if you're rendering, other than that, it's a waste of money.
!