Repost: Looking for GXa BIOS A07

Anyone know where I can get/download BIOS A07 for the GXa? Dell no longer
has it on their site.
6 answers Last reply
More about repost bios

    So what's wrong with A10?

    It IS fully backwards compatible with the board in your GXa....

    Did DELL breaks omething in A08, A09, and A10 that worked in A07?

    "mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote in message
    > Anyone know where I can get/download BIOS A07 for the GXa? Dell no longer
    > has it on their site.

    Versions above A07 will not allow upgrades using Slockets (Slot 1 to Socket
    370 adapter). Same is true for the GX1.

    "Fred Flintstone" <flintstone@slategravel-not-really-.org> wrote in message
    > So what's wrong with A10?
    >
    > It IS fully backwards compatible with the board in your GXa....
    >
    > Did DELL breaks omething in A08, A09, and A10 that worked in A07?
    >
    > "mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote in message
    > > Anyone know where I can get/download BIOS A07 for the GXa? Dell no
    longer
    > > has it on their site.

    Yup, that is true.....Apparently, Dell's engineers could not prevent amateur
    upgraders (ones without things like slockets with their own power
    regulators) from destroying the VR's (Voltage Regulators) on the system
    board, since most of the faster CPU's require lower voltage, but much higher
    current (which the on-board VR wasn't designed to do, so they would overheat
    and kill themselves (or create such crummy power that the system would be
    unreliable)).

    "Fred Flintstone" <flintstone@slategravel-not-really-.org> wrote in message news:<Qgbxc.4888$L4.2298@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com>...
    > Yup, that is true.....Apparently, Dell's engineers could not prevent amateur
    > upgraders (ones without things like slockets with their own power
    > regulators) from destroying the VR's (Voltage Regulators) on the system
    > board, since most of the faster CPU's require lower voltage, but much higher
    > current (which the on-board VR wasn't designed to do, so they would overheat
    > and kill themselves (or create such crummy power that the system would be
    > unreliable)).
    >

    > "mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote in message
    > > Versions above A07 will not allow upgrades using Slockets (Slot 1 to
    > Socket
    > > 370 adapter). Same is true for the GX1.
    > >
    > > "Fred Flintstone" <flintstone@slategravel-not-really-.org> wrote in
    > message
    > > > So what's wrong with A10?
    > > >
    > > > It IS fully backwards compatible with the board in your GXa....
    > > >
    > > > Did DELL breaks omething in A08, A09, and A10 that worked in A07?

    Whilst it is true that on the GX1 bioses above A07 won't work with
    faster processors, I think you will find that on the GXas you are OK
    up to A09, which should be readily available.

    I did not realize that about the VRs. I have two kinds of slockets, one
    does not have VR. Thanks,
    Mark

    "Fred Flintstone" <flintstone@slategravel-not-really-.org> wrote in message
    > Yup, that is true.....Apparently, Dell's engineers could not prevent
    amateur
    > upgraders (ones without things like slockets with their own power
    > regulators) from destroying the VR's (Voltage Regulators) on the system
    > board, since most of the faster CPU's require lower voltage, but much
    higher
    > current (which the on-board VR wasn't designed to do, so they would
    overheat
    > and kill themselves (or create such crummy power that the system would be
    > unreliable)).
    >

    > "mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote in message
    > > Versions above A07 will not allow upgrades using Slockets (Slot 1 to
    > Socket
    > > 370 adapter). Same is true for the GX1.
    > >
    > > "Fred Flintstone" <flintstone@slategravel-not-really-.org> wrote in
    > message
    > > > So what's wrong with A10?
    > > >
    > > > It IS fully backwards compatible with the board in your GXa....
    > > >
    > > > Did DELL breaks omething in A08, A09, and A10 that worked in A07?

    I will have to try that. Thanks,
    Mark

    "Peter Felgate" <peterfelgate@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Fred Flintstone" <flintstone@slategravel-not-really-.org> wrote in
    message news:<Qgbxc.4888$L4.2298@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com>...
    > > Yup, that is true.....Apparently, Dell's engineers could not prevent
    amateur
    > > upgraders (ones without things like slockets with their own power
    > > regulators) from destroying the VR's (Voltage Regulators) on the system
    > > board, since most of the faster CPU's require lower voltage, but much
    higher
    > > current (which the on-board VR wasn't designed to do, so they would
    overheat
    > > and kill themselves (or create such crummy power that the system would
    be
    > > unreliable)).
    > >

    > > "mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote in message
    > > > Versions above A07 will not allow upgrades using Slockets (Slot 1 to
    > > Socket
    > > > 370 adapter). Same is true for the GX1.
    > > >
    > > > "Fred Flintstone" <flintstone@slategravel-not-really-.org> wrote in
    > > message

    > Whilst it is true that on the GX1 bioses above A07 won't work with
    > faster processors, I think you will find that on the GXas you are OK
    > up to A09, which should be readily available.

Dell Download BIOS Computers