2.4GHZ P4 runs at 1.8GHZ

zippy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A tricky problem. I have a HP system, which I have systematically upgraded/changed.

The problem is this, the motherboard (HP:Tango-GLA) came fitted with celeron 2GHZ. According to HP, the motherboard can support up to 2.53GHZ P4 with FSB of 533MHZ. I duly fitted P4 2.4GHZ, with FSB 533MHZ. The problem is, the chip is running at 1.8GHZ (FSB400MHZ). Now, I have checked all of this info via BIOS, Intel chip frequency utility, and others, and chip is correct type, but running slow. According to HP, the motherboard should automatically adjust to the new processor. A kindly soul at HP tech support spent two hours on the phone to solve problem, but could not. To sum up,
1. tried re-setting CMOS via jumpers on board, - at checksum error re-set to defaults.
2. tried also removing battery. No effect.
3. In BIOS (latest version 3.17 phoenix tango) it is not possible to adjust FSB or CPU multiplier directly.

CPU is retail boxed from good supplier, PC still boots fine, with no problems whatsoever. So, from my limited knowledge, it seems to me the problem is that the board is not setting the FSB speed at 533 (up from the default 400)MHZ. Hp tech support do not believe there are jumpers on the board to achieve the required change. HP admitted they could not solve the problem (and the guy did seem to know what he was doing).

Aside from HP, it is difficult to find any info on this board - as you may expect,the system is not supplied with a motherboard manual.

RAM is 1024MB PC2100 DDR, so should be fine with new FSB speed.

Chipset is Intel 845G - so again should be ok.

Intel frequency utility, sisoftware sandra, and others all identify FSB as 400MHZ, chip type as 2.4GHZ P4, running at 1.8GHZ. Is it correct to think that the root of this problem is the failure of the motherboard to 'up' the FSB to 533MHZ?

BIOS is unchanged from original settings.

As I am relatively new to all this, any suggestions to try would be most appreciated. Many thanks.

pauldh

Illustrious
That's what we hate most about the big Oems like HP, Dell, gateway.

Basically yes, you need to get it set to a 533 MHz fsb or you will be stuck where you are. Intel chips are muliplier locked, FSB setting is the issue not multiplier.

Since it doesn't autodetect, You either have to find how to manually set it in the bios or find a jumper for it on the mobo. I'd suggest cleariing CMOS jumper and them trying to load "defaults" but really am leary on that HP to possible not have you boot again or be able to get the setting back to the way they were.

Have you taken a good light and thouroughly checked the motherboard looking for a fsb jumper. Also any other identification numbers to search for. Maybe you can discover who makes the motherboard for HP.

I'd be a bit ticked they can't tell you if it is definately a bios setting or a jumper. But that's what you get with those machines. They only support the CPU it came with, or possible a direct upgrade purchased through them. Doesn't mean you can't do it, just means you are on your own and forfeit support in doing so.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

pauldh

Illustrious
What is the exact pavilion model number?

Have you googlesearched pavilion XXXX FSB jumper or 533 bus, etc?

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

zippy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Model is 433.uk. thing is I checked this all out with HP prior to even starting ,and was told all would be well, no BIOS changes need to be made by me nor Jumpers etc.. The bloke at HP did genuinely try to help, and didn't just give me the official line. Looks like I will have to play hunt the Jumper. It's difficult to find any info on web about motherboard, as manufacturer is HP, though they told me it is a Tango-gla motherboard. HP site doesn't give much away. When I chose the upgrade, I could have got 2.4G P4 with a 400MHZ FSB and that would have been easy. What convinced me was the assurances from HP technical support before I purchased. The BIOS is not like some types where you can go in and modify FSB speeds etc... that section is greyed out (very helpful). I have tried re-setting the CMOS via jumper - this produced cheksum error, which set system to default values (400MHZFSB), to no avail.

From your experience, do you think it is likely (despite what HP says) that there will be jumpers for FSB speed on the motherboard? I did breifly look at overclocking tools to shift the FSB up via software, but none can recognise the Board type.

One final thought, kinda clutching at straws, the RAM is PC2100, so at the current FSB speed 400MHZ, it is not running at full speed (is that right?), so do you think there is any merit in removing the RAM and re-fitting it, as it has only ever run with a FSB of 400MHZ. Just a guess, would it trigger the motherboard to re-set?

The annoying thing is, this board should be well upgradable from its original spec, as chipset is ok. I would have installed 2.53GHZ P4, but couldn't find one from good supplier.

Thanks.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Isn't this your board:<A HREF="http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=bph07722" target="_new">http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=bph07722</A> ? I think it is, its just a rebranded FICVG31. HP doesnt make its own boards AFAIK.

If so, download the orignal FIC manual here:
ftp://ftp.fica.com/mirror/fict/motherboard/manual/socket478/vc37_vg31/vc37_vg31_b1_eng.zip (cant link, this site screws up FTP links, adding HTTP://).

If this is your board, you will not find a jumper for FSB533. Try bios "Frequency/Voltage Control". If there is no such thing, maybe try the FIC Bios instead of the HP customized BIOS ?

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

zippy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Superb. Many thanks for all the help. I haven't fixed problem yet, but now have manual and have looked at FIC site where BIOS can be downloaded. This is the correct manual. I know the info came from the HP website, but didn't realise FIC was the manufacturer. In the manual, it tells to change the cpu frequency in the voltage settings of the BIOS - these do not exist in the HP BIOS. So, it looks like I'll have to try the actual manufacturer BIOS.

One question though, will this affect the Win XP I have installed (came with system), as I know changing the motherboard causes problems.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
It shouldnt be a problem for your XP installation at all, but I can not guarantee the BIOS will work. I'd give you a 95% chance, but no more. Maybe ask HP ? I once had a "Dell" modem that was really a rebranded US Robotics product, but wouldnt work with the USR drivers, only Dell drivers. Since Dell flatly refused to bring out W2K drivers for the modem, and I wanted to move away from '98, I tried upgrading the firmware and ended up with a dead modem. So, don't blame me if it doesnt work, though i would give it a shot myselve if I where you. If it has a dual bios, there wouldnt be any risk at all, and XP will not complain, just run faster with 533 fsb :)

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

pauldh

Illustrious
Shouldn't affect Win XP, and PC2100 is just fine for your CPU.

Good find P4Man!

pauldh

Illustrious
Yeah, i bought many Gateway SB PCI 128 sound cards that couldn't use the creative drivers. Pain in the neck.