reboot delayed at applying computer settings

I have a few computers in my office that take a long time to boot, and by
long time I mean anywhere from 10 minutes to 30-45 minutes. When booting it
never even gets to the logon screen, it stays at "applying computer settings"
for a very long time, but does eventually allow the user to logon. I looked
on the knowledge base and found a couple ideas for a fix, but nothing I try
works. Are there any known problems with Windows XP doing this? I am new to
XP (yeah, I know, where have I been!) and have never seen this issue before.

Thanks!

Chris
7 answers Last reply
More about reboot delayed applying computer settings

    "Chris Reynolds" <ChrisReynolds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a few computers in my office that take a long time to boot, and by
    > long time I mean anywhere from 10 minutes to 30-45 minutes. When booting
    > it
    > never even gets to the logon screen, it stays at "applying computer
    > settings"
    > for a very long time, but does eventually allow the user to logon. I
    > looked
    > on the knowledge base and found a couple ideas for a fix, but nothing I
    > try
    > works. Are there any known problems with Windows XP doing this? I am new
    > XP (yeah, I know, where have I been!) and have never seen this issue
    > before.

    A few possibilities.

    Check Leythos' suggestion.

    Are the clients that logon normally Windows XP?

    Check the DNS settings. In a domain environment the DNS should point only to
    a DNS server on a DC that is authoritative for the domain.

    If one of the systems doesn't experience the problem is running XP then
    compare the results of ipconfig /all with one of the systems that doesn't
    work. If there are any differences you have probably found the problem.

    This sometimes happens if the computer has a hard time finding the group
    policy files. Check if the slow logon computers are in a different OU than
    the other computers. Check what group policies are being applied to one that
    works and one that doesn't.

    Kerry

    All of the computers having problems are XP, and one just happens to be mine.
    And I just started here 2 weeks ago, so it is a new install. Running
    ipconfig I am hitting the correct dns server, but I do see something that is
    strange, and I dont know if this might be causing my problem, but for a wins
    server I am getting an IP for a server that doesnt exist. Could this be
    causing the hangup during boot?

    > All of the computers having problems are XP, and one just happens to be
    > mine.
    > And I just started here 2 weeks ago, so it is a new install. Running
    > ipconfig I am hitting the correct dns server, but I do see something that
    > is
    > strange, and I dont know if this might be causing my problem, but for a
    > wins
    > server I am getting an IP for a server that doesnt exist. Could this be
    > causing the hangup during boot?

    It could be but not likely. In a domain environment XP uses DNS before
    NETBIOS to resolve network names. Did you compare your settings with a pc
    that works? How many DNS servers did you see in ipconfig /all? How are the
    computers that logon normally set up? Do they have the same WINS server? Do
    all the clients use DHCP? Do you have more than one DHCP server? Are all the
    clients on the same subnet? Did you check out Leythos' suggestion? It seems
    the most likely cause.

    Kerry

    In article <B9441472-5225-4A55-B718-B120F375958B@microsoft.com>,
    ChrisReynolds@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > I have a few computers in my office that take a long time to boot, and by
    > long time I mean anywhere from 10 minutes to 30-45 minutes. When booting it
    > never even gets to the logon screen, it stays at "applying computer settings"
    > for a very long time, but does eventually allow the user to logon. I looked
    > on the knowledge base and found a couple ideas for a fix, but nothing I try
    > works. Are there any known problems with Windows XP doing this? I am new to
    > XP (yeah, I know, where have I been!) and have never seen this issue before.

    Check to see how LARGE their profiles are - In a Domain I've seen
    FireFox generate 500MB of cached files and it takes many minutes to
    download those to local machines (for some reason)....

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    I did check out Leythos' suggestion. My profile was 272MB due to having
    something on my desktop, so I moved it and it dropped my profile size
    significantly, but that didnt fix the problem. The delay in boot is before I
    even get to a logon screen so I dont think the problem is profile related.
    All of the PC's are set up similar and the settings in ipconfig /all are the
    same. Only one DHCP server and I found my issue with WINS. As I said I am
    new to this place and they dont have a WINS server, and yet they have a DNS
    entry for one so I removed that and now WINS doesnt show up when I do
    ipconfig /all, but that didnt even solve the problem. I would just re-image
    my machine, but this problem is happening to more PC's than just mine. I
    would like to find a fix and not just a workaround (re-image). Any other
    ideas???

    Thanks again!!

    >I did check out Leythos' suggestion. My profile was 272MB due to having
    > something on my desktop, so I moved it and it dropped my profile size
    > significantly, but that didnt fix the problem. The delay in boot is
    > before I
    > even get to a logon screen so I dont think the problem is profile related.
    > All of the PC's are set up similar and the settings in ipconfig /all are
    > the
    > same. Only one DHCP server and I found my issue with WINS. As I said I
    > am
    > new to this place and they dont have a WINS server, and yet they have a
    > DNS
    > entry for one so I removed that and now WINS doesnt show up when I do
    > ipconfig /all, but that didnt even solve the problem. I would just
    > re-image
    > my machine, but this problem is happening to more PC's than just mine. I
    > would like to find a fix and not just a workaround (re-image). Any other
    > ideas???

    I would start looking at the network infrastructure. It could be a bad
    switch. You have to find out what is the common denominator between the
    clients that have the slow logon. Same software: antivirus, firewall,
    antispyware, etc. same hardware: nic, motherboard, connected to same switch,
    etc.

    Did you check out the AD structure? Are all the affected clients in the same
    OU? Is group policy working properly? I have seen a problem with group
    policy cause slow logons but not that slow. If you have a 2003 server try
    the Resultant Set of Policy snap in.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/TechRef/7372e80d-0124-4419-b3de-29014df610d1.mspx

    If all else fails capture some packets while one of the slow clients is
    logging on and see what is happening on the network.

    Kerry
  7. I think he's saying that this problem has nothing to do with the network- he could have a system completely disconnected from the network and, before even reaching the "Press Ctrl+Alt+Del Keys to Begin" screen to login, there's a period of time where "Applying Computer Settings" sits there for a while.

    I'm experiencing this problem on a few systems in my infrastructure as well, but I can't quite seem to figure out what's causing the problem. It is happening to computers that are in the same OU in AD, have the same DNS entries and ipconfig /all settings, identical WINS settings. Since it happens before login occurs, it seems like it does not necessarily directly correlate to a local profile, however it definitely seems like it's an issue with the local operating environment (such as driver initialization, etc). Not sure how to track this down though..

Computers Windows XP