Samsung PX2370 screen shifting issue

darkelf1217

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I just got a new Samsung PX2370 and I've only played around with it for a little bit, but when I shut down my windows 7 machine the screen seems to shift back and forth until it settles down on the shutdown screen. I'm worried this will happen when I am using it for games or other things. Is there something I need to do so this doesn't happen? Should I send the monitor back?

I am using a dvi cable. My machine specs are: ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7-2600K, SAPPHIRE 100281-3SR Radeon HD 5870, 8GB RAM.

Thanks for your help.

by shifting do you mean a change in resolution where objects appear to shift around as a result or a static resolution that shifts in a direction? unless your monitor has a few extra pixels more than standard i don't see how the latter could be the case.

as for the reason.. if i had to guess it would be the switch from the ATI catalyst display settings to Windows display settings. does your screen flicker a few times when you boot up as well?

you could try disabling any catalyst profiles you have set up and set the display via windows 7 instead. perhaps this would solve any conflicts. brightness/contrast/etc should be set using the monitor's onboard controls.

darkelf1217

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
No, it doesn't appear to be a change in resolution. It looks like part of the screen has windows on it, the other part is dark (no image) and it switches back and forth. This seems to happen for a few seconds before getting the shutdown logo.

I have not installed the monitor drivers and am just using the windows ones. Some comments I read about the monitor said to just use the win7 drivers so I was trying that first. I didn't notice any flickering on startup but will check again. I will also look into the catalyst drivers.

when using the monitor from within windows... the display does not take up your whole monitors surface area? is the unused area more than 1-3 pixels wide? if the space is larger perhaps you have the wrong resolution in use. i know vidcard software includes a way to "fit" to your screen. you could always try catalyst and see if it works (if not you can always uninstall)

did your monitor come with a driver disk? some do some dont. if it did try installing. you could try looking under troubleshooting in the manual as well.

is this a replacement monitor (did you have an old one) ? if so, did the old monitor have the same issues? if this is your first monitor for your new system try hooking up another monitor (and changing settings) does this issue still happen?

any other tests you can think of... what we need to determine is where the problem lies.. be it drivers, windows, or your monitor.

darkelf1217

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
When I'm in windows the display does take up the entire monitor area. I'm using 1920x1080 as the resolution. The monitor did come with a driver disk. This was going to be my next step and see if it fixed the issue.

This is a replacement monitor. My old 19" flat panel samsung does not have this issue with the pc.