I understand that XP allows the use of a second monitor, but is it possible
to add a full second terminal (monitor, keyboard and mouse) to allow 2 people
to use the same computer at the same time?

Gordon

"Don_" <Don_@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I understand that XP allows the use of a second monitor, but is it
> possible to add a full second terminal (monitor, keyboard and mouse)
> to allow 2 people to use the same computer at the same time?

Yes it is but you will need a special switch AFAIK....

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

You could certainly add a second monitor, keyboard and mouse, so as to be
able to use the computer from a different location. To a limited extent 2
people could use it at the same time (eg one could watch a DVD, while the
other typed a report), but you'd still only have one mouse cursor and have
only one place to accept keyboard inputs at any one time.

Jon

"Don_" <Don_@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I understand that XP allows the use of a second monitor, but is it possible
> to add a full second terminal (monitor, keyboard and mouse) to allow 2
> people
> to use the same computer at the same time?

Could he not use a ps2 keyboard/mouse combo for user 1 and a
usb keyboard/mouse combo for user 2? It would be really
annoying when the 2 poeple are trying to use mouse
simultaneously though...

"Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message
: You could certainly add a second monitor, keyboard and
mouse, so as to be
: able to use the computer from a different location. To a
limited extent 2
: people could use it at the same time (eg one could watch a
DVD, while the
: other typed a report), but you'd still only have one mouse
cursor and have
: only one place to accept keyboard inputs at any one time.
:
: Jon
:
:
: "Don_" <Don_@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: news:8C7BB8FE-CCAA-45CD-998F-C4F73EA9B3D5@microsoft.com...
: >I understand that XP allows the use of a second monitor,
but is it possible
: > to add a full second terminal (monitor, keyboard and
mouse) to allow 2
: > people
: > to use the same computer at the same time?
:
:

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Yes, that would work fine.

Jon

"Mike Mueller" <MyName@ecinet.net.net> wrote in message
> Could he not use a ps2 keyboard/mouse combo for user 1 and a
> usb keyboard/mouse combo for user 2? It would be really
> annoying when the 2 poeple are trying to use mouse
> simultaneously though...
>
> "Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message
> : You could certainly add a second monitor, keyboard and
> mouse, so as to be
> : able to use the computer from a different location. To a
> limited extent 2
> : people could use it at the same time (eg one could watch a
> DVD, while the
> : other typed a report), but you'd still only have one mouse
> cursor and have
> : only one place to accept keyboard inputs at any one time.
> :
> : Jon
> :
> :
> : "Don_" <Don_@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> : news:8C7BB8FE-CCAA-45CD-998F-C4F73EA9B3D5@microsoft.com...
> : >I understand that XP allows the use of a second monitor,
> but is it possible
> : > to add a full second terminal (monitor, keyboard and
> mouse) to allow 2
> : > people
> : > to use the same computer at the same time?
> :
> :

Yes you can add a second Keyboard/mouse/monitor. However, this is not a
Microsoft product and you will need to add hardware/software to the PC.

Don_ wrote:
> I understand that XP allows the use of a second monitor, but is it possible
> to add a full second terminal (monitor, keyboard and mouse) to allow 2 people
> to use the same computer at the same time?

Yes and no. You could, for instance, connect 1 USB keyboard, 1 PS/2
keyboard, 1 USB mouse, and 1 PS/2 mouse to the PC simultaneously.
However, the OS isn't really designed for this, so there's still going
to be only one mouse point and/or one typing cursor. Which ever
keyboard or mouse is touched most recently provides the input. In other
words, the two users would be interfering with one another. So the
addition of the input devices will be of little or no value to you.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

No as you would be getting 2 XPs for the price of 1.

The problem isn't technical but legal and XP prevents this.