Closed

Boot Problems: "Error Loading Operating System"

During general use of Windows XP, my PC crashed and I therefore had to reboot
it. However, now it comes up with the message "Error loading operating
system" in the boot phase. I have used the Windows XP CD to get to the repair
console, (by pressing 'R' on the first screen, only I don't know what to do
from here.

Any help as to how i can repair my PC is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Rory.
6 answers Last reply
More about boot problems error loading operating system

    Check here:-

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Rory wrote:

    > During general use of Windows XP, my PC crashed and I therefore had to reboot
    > it. However, now it comes up with the message "Error loading operating
    > system" in the boot phase. I have used the Windows XP CD to get to the repair
    > console, (by pressing 'R' on the first screen, only I don't know what to do
    > from here.
    >
    > Any help as to how i can repair my PC is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Rory.
  2. See itis your hardware problem....... ur hard disk is not getting proper power supply..... so remove the SATA cable and re install it....
  3. I don't think the console will be of any great help. I found it only good to fix the MBR and fixBoot.
    You need to actually continue loading (as if installing a new operating system) which will take you ultimately to a new option to (1) load a new Windows or (2) do a repair.
    The Repair choice also uses the "R" key.
    If you are not familiar, how to. There is a detail post here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/244555-45-performing-repair-reinstall-winxp-tips

    I've done repairs many times. It works 90% of the time.
  4. how do u take out the SATA cable? WHAT IS THE SATA CABLE!!
  5. BananaBoy98 said:
    how do u take out the SATA cable? WHAT IS THE SATA CABLE!!

    The SATA cable is the cable (data cable) that connects a SATA drive to a SATA port on the motherboard.
  6. Not exactly sure how removing and reinstalling the SATA cable will help here. Usually this message relates to a problem with the OS (hence the suggestion to use Windows repair) or it could be a physical problem with the HDD. demax has posted the most helpful suggestion.

Boot Microsoft Windows XP