BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
where can I get the latest Linux software. I can order the Linux for windows addicts/Red Hat Linux 7 unleashed. It comes with 3 Cd's,explains thye basics, has the software itself, with configuration and troulble shooting tips. The price with shipping and tax is probaly 45.00. Is this a good deal or can I go about it in a different way. Thanks Bruce

Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you want the full documentation, then yeah, that's probably the best way to go. Buy a retail package from the distribution company itself. I'd see if you can get redhat 8.0 or mandrake 9.0 though, as they both just got released.

If you want to go the free route, you can get the OS and software for free from their websites, and the internet is full of help sites and forums. You could also buy a separate linux book too.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

razvan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The easiest and cheapest way is to download the ISO image:

ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-8.1-iso/

from there download "slackware-8.1-install.iso". Burn it on a CD-R then boot from it. If you also need the sources for all the utilities then use something like FTP_Expert and download what you need from:

ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-8.1/

Razvan

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Last time I checked, 2 days ago, you couldn't download Redhat 8.0; I hear they are trying to make people buy the distro now instead of getting it for free.

In a world without <font color=red>walls </font color=red>or <font color=green>fences </font color=green>, what use have we for <font color=red>Windows </font color=red>or <font color=green>Gates.</font color=green>

TexanGod

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2002
I dl all 5 discs on the 6th from the RH website (actually a mirror listed on the website.)

--------Sig--------
If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.
I'm too busy acting like I'm not naive, I've seen it all, I was here first

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I just downloaded it 3 days ago. Installed it, blue curve looks really nice, but Mandrake auto configured my SB Live! to play digital out automatically... I was too lazy to look up how to do it in redhat, so I just re-installed mandrake.

It's kinda nice that it only takes 9.5 minutes to do a full 1.8 gig OS + software install :smile:

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.