New Dell PCI express graphics Card

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

I wonder what anyone can tell me about the new ATI PCI express graphics
card. I am not buying a new system just wanted to know something about this
card.
Carolyn

Molly wrote:
> I wonder what anyone can tell me about the new ATI PCI express
> graphics card. I am not buying a new system just wanted to know
> something about this card.
> Carolyn

Google: pci express. The video card itself is likely nothing new, but
the PCI Express bus improvements are worth reviewing. PCI Express
essentially removes a scheduling bottleneck in the PCI bus that
should/might improve data flow and should/might incrementally improve
video card performance. It remains to be seen what the real-world
performance improvements will look like since the PCI Express devices
must be designed to take full advantage of the potential of the bus.

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

http://www.ati.com

"Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I wonder what anyone can tell me about the new ATI PCI express graphics
> card. I am not buying a new system just wanted to know something about
this
> card.
> Carolyn

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

Does this mean an end to the AGP slot , and the graphics card as we know it.
> Molly wrote:
> > I wonder what anyone can tell me about the new ATI PCI express
> > graphics card. I am not buying a new system just wanted to know
> > something about this card.
> > Carolyn
>
> Google: pci express. The video card itself is likely nothing new, but
> the PCI Express bus improvements are worth reviewing. PCI Express
> essentially removes a scheduling bottleneck in the PCI bus that
> should/might improve data flow and should/might incrementally improve
> video card performance. It remains to be seen what the real-world
> performance improvements will look like since the PCI Express devices
> must be designed to take full advantage of the potential of the bus.

Theory says that PCI Express cards will replace AGP cards. Practice often
differs from theory, for a while, anyway... Ben Myers