I'm considering upgrading anything I can on an old Presario 4704. Any info on
the motherboard type, what m/b would fit into the case , what I might need to
consider in deciding to upgrade?

I'd like to upgrade the motherboard, and the processor.

hh

Pls check the Compaq FAQ re: motherboard swapping. 4700s are extremely
proprietary. No go on Mobo. As for the processor, only a Pentium "classic"
(non-MMX) will work in 4700s. You might try Computer Surplus Outlet,
http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com/showproduct.asp?C=4&s=11 . They often
have them. You also can check there for EDO SIMMs (must be added in like
pairs):
http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com/showproduct.asp?C=6&s=24
Other than that, don't sink more money in an obsolete PC.
HH