wowbagger

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2004

XP Home (media center edition to be specific) with three users:
administrator (never used) and two individual accounts, both set with
administrator access.

One of the two user accounts has no issues. The other has all kinds of
restrictions set against the account: can't change the time, can't change
the resolution, can't open properties on My Computer... all of these actions
prompt a message along the lines of "the requested operation can not be
completed because of a policy restriction" (not an exact quote, I am not in
front of that computer at the moment - the gist is that the account is not
recognized as an administrator but seems to be stuck as a restricted user).

This is XP home so there are no domain policies. I have switched the user
from admin to restricted user and back again (rebooting after each change)
using both the other user account and the built in admin account. Searching
for the error message returns hits that are either about:

a) spyware (repeatedly scanned, nothing detected)
b) domain policies (not applicable)
c) IE explorer zone settings (irrelevant since the errors have nothing to do
with IE)

Can anybody shed some light on this situation?

Thanks

"Wowbagger" <none> wrote in message
> XP Home (media center edition to be specific) with three users:
> administrator (never used) and two individual accounts, both set with
> administrator access.
>
> One of the two user accounts has no issues. The other has all kinds of
> restrictions set against the account: can't change the time, can't change
> the resolution, can't open properties on My Computer... all of these
> actions prompt a message along the lines of "the requested operation can
> not be completed because of a policy restriction" (not an exact quote, I
> am not in front of that computer at the moment - the gist is that the
> account is not recognized as an administrator but seems to be stuck as a
> restricted user).
>
> This is XP home so there are no domain policies. I have switched the user
> from admin to restricted user and back again (rebooting after each change)
> using both the other user account and the built in admin account.
> Searching for the error message returns hits that are either about:
>
> a) spyware (repeatedly scanned, nothing detected)
> b) domain policies (not applicable)
> c) IE explorer zone settings (irrelevant since the errors have nothing to
> do with IE)
>
> Can anybody shed some light on this situation?
>
> Thanks

With regards to the time, see here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/aaron_margosis/archive/2005/02/11/371474.aspx

The "Local Security Settings" the post refers to is "secpol.msc"
(Start->Run, "secpol.msc" as admin) which you can use to modify various
security policies for users.

You may be able to the same tool to modify settings for resolution etc.

Mike

wowbagger

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2004

What's the easiest way to redeclare this user as admin?

"Mike Weller" <spam@we11er.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Wowbagger" <none> wrote in message
>> XP Home (media center edition to be specific) with three users:
>> administrator (never used) and two individual accounts, both set with
>> administrator access.
>>
>> One of the two user accounts has no issues. The other has all kinds of
>> restrictions set against the account: can't change the time, can't change
>> the resolution, can't open properties on My Computer... all of these
>> actions prompt a message along the lines of "the requested operation can
>> not be completed because of a policy restriction" (not an exact quote, I
>> am not in front of that computer at the moment - the gist is that the
>> account is not recognized as an administrator but seems to be stuck as a
>> restricted user).
>>
>> This is XP home so there are no domain policies. I have switched the
>> user from admin to restricted user and back again (rebooting after each
>> change) using both the other user account and the built in admin account.
>> Searching for the error message returns hits that are either about:
>>
>> a) spyware (repeatedly scanned, nothing detected)
>> b) domain policies (not applicable)
>> c) IE explorer zone settings (irrelevant since the errors have nothing to
>> do with IE)
>>
>> Can anybody shed some light on this situation?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> With regards to the time, see here:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/aaron_margosis/archive/2005/02/11/371474.aspx
>
> The "Local Security Settings" the post refers to is "secpol.msc"
> (Start->Run, "secpol.msc" as admin) which you can use to modify various
> security policies for users.
>
> You may be able to the same tool to modify settings for resolution etc.
>
> Mike

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Wowbagger wrote:

> What's the easiest way to redeclare this user as admin?
>
> "Mike Weller" <spam@we11er.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>"Wowbagger" <none> wrote in message
>>
>>>XP Home (media center edition to be specific) with three users:
>>>administrator (never used) and two individual accounts, both set with
>>>administrator access.
>>>
>>>One of the two user accounts has no issues. The other has all kinds of
>>>restrictions set against the account: can't change the time, can't change
>>>the resolution, can't open properties on My Computer... all of these
>>>actions prompt a message along the lines of "the requested operation can
>>>not be completed because of a policy restriction" (not an exact quote, I
>>>am not in front of that computer at the moment - the gist is that the
>>>account is not recognized as an administrator but seems to be stuck as a
>>>restricted user).
>>>
>>>This is XP home so there are no domain policies. I have switched the
>>>user from admin to restricted user and back again (rebooting after each
>>>change) using both the other user account and the built in admin account.
>>>Searching for the error message returns hits that are either about:
>>>
>>>a) spyware (repeatedly scanned, nothing detected)
>>>b) domain policies (not applicable)
>>>c) IE explorer zone settings (irrelevant since the errors have nothing to
>>>do with IE)
>>>
>>>Can anybody shed some light on this situation?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>
>>With regards to the time, see here:
>>
>>http://blogs.msdn.com/aaron_margosis/archive/2005/02/11/371474.aspx
>>
>>The "Local Security Settings" the post refers to is "secpol.msc"
>>(Start->Run, "secpol.msc" as admin) which you can use to modify various
>>security policies for users.
>>
>>You may be able to the same tool to modify settings for resolution etc.
>>
>>Mike

Try creating a new account. If that works then copy the data from the
account with the problems to the new account.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279783

How to Copy a User Profile
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Please correct me if I am wrong.....

It is my understanding that XP Media Center Edition is more akin to XP Pro
and NOT XP Home.
If it is MCE2005 then there are no provisions for joining a domain. MCE2004
has the ability to join a domain, and both have group policy capabilities.
--
Mark N.

wowbagger

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2004

"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message

> Try creating a new account. If that works then copy the data from the
> account with the problems to the new account.
>
> HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279783
>
> How to Copy a User Profile
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm

I'll give that a try as last resort... on windows media center how does one
assign a user to the administrator group - without going through users on
the control panel?