Can't change time on XP Home

XP Home (media center edition to be specific) with three users:
administrator (never used) and two individual accounts, both set with
administrator access.

One of the two user accounts has no issues. The other has all kinds of
restrictions set against the account: can't change the time, can't change
the resolution, can't open properties on My Computer... all of these actions
prompt a message along the lines of "the requested operation can not be
completed because of a policy restriction" (not an exact quote, I am not in
front of that computer at the moment - the gist is that the account is not
recognized as an administrator but seems to be stuck as a restricted user).

This is XP home so there are no domain policies. I have switched the user
from admin to restricted user and back again (rebooting after each change)
using both the other user account and the built in admin account. Searching
for the error message returns hits that are either about:

a) spyware (repeatedly scanned, nothing detected)
b) domain policies (not applicable)
c) IE explorer zone settings (irrelevant since the errors have nothing to do
with IE)

Can anybody shed some light on this situation?

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about change time home

    "Wowbagger" <none> wrote in message
    > XP Home (media center edition to be specific) with three users:
    > administrator (never used) and two individual accounts, both set with
    > administrator access.
    >
    > One of the two user accounts has no issues. The other has all kinds of
    > restrictions set against the account: can't change the time, can't change
    > the resolution, can't open properties on My Computer... all of these
    > actions prompt a message along the lines of "the requested operation can
    > not be completed because of a policy restriction" (not an exact quote, I
    > am not in front of that computer at the moment - the gist is that the
    > account is not recognized as an administrator but seems to be stuck as a
    > restricted user).
    >
    > This is XP home so there are no domain policies. I have switched the user
    > from admin to restricted user and back again (rebooting after each change)
    > using both the other user account and the built in admin account.
    > Searching for the error message returns hits that are either about:
    >
    > a) spyware (repeatedly scanned, nothing detected)
    > b) domain policies (not applicable)
    > c) IE explorer zone settings (irrelevant since the errors have nothing to
    > do with IE)
    >
    > Can anybody shed some light on this situation?
    >
    > Thanks

    With regards to the time, see here:

    http://blogs.msdn.com/aaron_margosis/archive/2005/02/11/371474.aspx

    The "Local Security Settings" the post refers to is "secpol.msc"
    (Start->Run, "secpol.msc" as admin) which you can use to modify various
    security policies for users.

    You may be able to the same tool to modify settings for resolution etc.

    Mike

    What's the easiest way to redeclare this user as admin?

    Wowbagger wrote:

    > What's the easiest way to redeclare this user as admin?
    >
    > "Mike Weller" <spam@we11er.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Wowbagger" <none> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>XP Home (media center edition to be specific) with three users:
    >>>administrator (never used) and two individual accounts, both set with
    >>>administrator access.
    >>>
    >>>One of the two user accounts has no issues. The other has all kinds of
    >>>restrictions set against the account: can't change the time, can't change
    >>>the resolution, can't open properties on My Computer... all of these
    >>>actions prompt a message along the lines of "the requested operation can
    >>>not be completed because of a policy restriction" (not an exact quote, I
    >>>am not in front of that computer at the moment - the gist is that the
    >>>account is not recognized as an administrator but seems to be stuck as a
    >>>restricted user).
    >>>
    >>>This is XP home so there are no domain policies. I have switched the
    >>>user from admin to restricted user and back again (rebooting after each
    >>>change) using both the other user account and the built in admin account.
    >>>Searching for the error message returns hits that are either about:
    >>>
    >>>a) spyware (repeatedly scanned, nothing detected)
    >>>b) domain policies (not applicable)
    >>>c) IE explorer zone settings (irrelevant since the errors have nothing to
    >>>do with IE)
    >>>
    >>>Can anybody shed some light on this situation?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>
    >>With regards to the time, see here:
    >>
    >>http://blogs.msdn.com/aaron_margosis/archive/2005/02/11/371474.aspx
    >>
    >>The "Local Security Settings" the post refers to is "secpol.msc"
    >>(Start->Run, "secpol.msc" as admin) which you can use to modify various
    >>security policies for users.
    >>
    >>You may be able to the same tool to modify settings for resolution etc.
    >>
    >>Mike

    Try creating a new account. If that works then copy the data from the
    account with the problems to the new account.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279783

    How to Copy a User Profile
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Please correct me if I am wrong.....

    It is my understanding that XP Media Center Edition is more akin to XP Pro
    and NOT XP Home.
    If it is MCE2005 then there are no provisions for joining a domain. MCE2004
    has the ability to join a domain, and both have group policy capabilities.
    --
    Mark N.

    "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message

    > Try creating a new account. If that works then copy the data from the
    > account with the problems to the new account.
    >
    > HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279783
    >
    > How to Copy a User Profile
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm

    I'll give that a try as last resort... on windows media center how does one
    assign a user to the administrator group - without going through users on
    the control panel?

Media Center Windows XP