Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Difference VGA vs DVI in watching movies

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 31, 2011 11:08:10 PM

Hi,

do you think there is a big difference in watching movies on an IPS monitor connected through VGA rather than on a TN monitor connected through DVI? (all the other specs are more or less the same)

Best solution

a c 193 C Monitor
April 1, 2011 12:23:27 AM

Generally speaking, there should be little difference between an analog signal and a digital signal. An analog signal is basically a converted digital signal, so there is always a possibility of some signal degradation.

There is a difference between watching a movie on an IPS panel vs. a TN panel. TN panels use dithering technology to generate 16.7m colors from only 256k actual colors. This can create artifacts on the screen; either color banding issues with color gradients or general pixellation that are not actually in the source material.

Inexpensive IPS monitors use the e-IPS which almost all use 6-bit color technology just like all TN panels monitors. There is only one or two 8-bit e-IPS panels manufactured and only a very few monitor models actually use them. These 6-bit e-IPS panels can also show some color banding issues and general pixellation, but not as much or as glaring as TN panels.
April 1, 2011 8:37:56 AM

Thanks a lot for your reply!
Related resources
a c 84 C Monitor
April 1, 2011 5:17:57 PM

For the cleanest signal you want to use DVI, but it may be hard to spot any differences. The biggest difference would be in using different monitors, not different connections, resolution and cable quality and length being the same. I went from a cheaper screen on DVI to a nice IPS screen with the same cable and video card, and it was a huge difference. Felt like I upgraded my whole PC.
April 8, 2011 11:16:56 AM

Best answer selected by mamaalda.
!