Boot Problems. Corrupt file

When I boot my computer, it tells me it can't load windows because the
following file is missing or corrupt:

<windows root>\system32\hal.dll

Can i use the "repair console" to copy this file onto the hard drive from a
floppy disk? If not, how do I rectify this problem?

Many Thanks
Rory.
6 answers Last reply
More about boot problems corrupt file

    Rory wrote:

    > When I boot my computer, it tells me it can't load windows because the
    > following file is missing or corrupt:
    >
    > <windows root>\system32\hal.dll
    >
    > Can i use the "repair console" to copy this file onto the hard drive
    > from a floppy disk? If not, how do I rectify this problem?
    >
    > Many Thanks
    > Rory.

    From the late, great MVP Alex Nichol:

    "WINDOWS COULD NOT FIND START BECAUSE THE FOLLOWING FILE IS MISSING OR
    CORRUPT WINDOWS ROOT>\SYSTEM32\hal.dll

    "That message is rather misleading. It happens because the boot.ini
    file that tells the boot where to look for 'Windows' is damaged, so it
    is looking for files in the wrong place - hal.dll just happens to be
    the first one it looks for. Set the BIOS to boot CD before Hard Disk.
    Boot the XP CD and, instead of Setup, take the immediate R for Repair.
    Assume any password requested is blank, and TAB over.

    Use
    Attrib -H -R -S C:\boot,ini
    DEL C:\boot.ini
    to delete the bad one
    BootCfg /Rebuild

    to search for Windows installations and make a new one."

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Thanks for the help. This is what happens when i try these steps.

    Typing Attrib -H -R -S C:\boot.ini, results in a bad command message.

    typing del c:\boot.ini, results in a no matching files found message.

    When i do bootcfg, it tells me it couldn't run the command becuase of an
    error caused by a corrupt file system. It tells me to run chkdsk, which I do,
    and that tells me it has "unrecoverable errors".

    Any ideas as to what this means? I just need to access files to save them,
    then I can do a clean install.

    Thanks
    rory

    "Malke" wrote:

    > Rory wrote:
    >
    > > When I boot my computer, it tells me it can't load windows because the
    > > following file is missing or corrupt:
    > >
    > > <windows root>\system32\hal.dll
    > >
    > > Can i use the "repair console" to copy this file onto the hard drive
    > > from a floppy disk? If not, how do I rectify this problem?
    > >
    > > Many Thanks
    > > Rory.
    >
    > From the late, great MVP Alex Nichol:
    >
    > "WINDOWS COULD NOT FIND START BECAUSE THE FOLLOWING FILE IS MISSING OR
    > CORRUPT WINDOWS ROOT>\SYSTEM32\hal.dll
    >
    > "That message is rather misleading. It happens because the boot.ini
    > file that tells the boot where to look for 'Windows' is damaged, so it
    > is looking for files in the wrong place - hal.dll just happens to be
    > the first one it looks for. Set the BIOS to boot CD before Hard Disk.
    > Boot the XP CD and, instead of Setup, take the immediate R for Repair.
    > Assume any password requested is blank, and TAB over.
    >
    > Use
    > Attrib -H -R -S C:\boot,ini
    > DEL C:\boot.ini
    > to delete the bad one
    > BootCfg /Rebuild
    >
    > to search for Windows installations and make a new one."
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    No, copying the driver won't resolve this.

    A Repair install is one remedy. However, before you do that have
    you made any changes to your system's BIOS ? HAL or Hardware
    Abstraction Layer, is essentially the computer driver. If you've done
    any changes to BIOS, then the expected HAL may no longer be the
    one Windows expects. Sometimes disabling a BIOS setting called
    ACPI will cause this issue. A change from ACPI to Standard PC
    would usually still boot. But a change in the other direction would
    cause your problem.

    Rory wrote:

    > Thanks for the help. This is what happens when i try these steps.
    >
    > Typing Attrib -H -R -S C:\boot.ini, results in a bad command message.
    >
    > typing del c:\boot.ini, results in a no matching files found message.
    >
    > When i do bootcfg, it tells me it couldn't run the command becuase of
    > an error caused by a corrupt file system. It tells me to run chkdsk,
    > which I do, and that tells me it has "unrecoverable errors".
    >
    > Any ideas as to what this means? I just need to access files to save
    > them, then I can do a clean install.

    "Unrecoverable errors" sounds nasty. Perhaps your hard drive is failing.
    To get the data off, I'd use Knoppix rather than mess about trying to
    get into Windows. Here's information about Knoppix:

    An easy way to retrieve Windows files is to boot with Knoppix, a Linux
    distro on a live cd. You will need a computer with two cd drives, one
    of which is a cd/dvd-rw OR a usb thumb drive with enough capacity to
    hold your data. To get Knoppix, you need a computer with a fast
    Internet connection and third-party burning software. Download the
    Knoppix .iso from www.knoppix.net and create your bootable cd. Then
    boot with it and it will be able to see the Windows files. If you are
    using the usb thumb drive, right-click on its icon (on the Desktop) to
    get its properties and uncheck the box that says "Read Only". Then
    click on it to open it. Note that the default mouse action in the
    window manager used by Knoppix (KDE) is a single click to open instead
    of the traditional MS Windows' double-click. Otherwise, use the K3b
    burning program to burn the files to cd/dvd-r's.

    Then I'd test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility from the mftr.
    Download the file and make a bootable floppy or cd with it. Boot with
    the media and do a thorough test. If the drive has physical errors,
    replace it.

    While you're in testing mode, you might also want to give the RAM a
    test. I like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. Obviously, you have to
    get the program from a working machine. You will either download the
    precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or the .iso to
    make a bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll need to have
    third-party burning software on the machine where you download the file
    - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job. In either case,
    boot with the media you made. The test will run immediately. Let the
    test run for an hour or two - unless errors are seen immediately. If
    you get any errors, replace the RAM.

    The hardware tests won't hurt anything, and that way you'll be sure
    before you try and reinstall Windows. Reinstalling Windows with faulty
    hardware will be a waste of time.

    Good luck,

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Wow, thanks Malke. I'll try that right away. Thanks for the help

    Rory wrote:

    > Wow, thanks Malke. I'll try that right away. Thanks for the help

    You're welcome. Let me know if you need more help with Knoppix. Hope
    everything turns out OK for you.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers