P991 Montior looks awful - HELP!

Carol

I've had my monitor for four years. It looked great. Yesterday I
installed some VPN connection software. During the install there were
a few problems (system kept freezing). During the install it told me
to insert my Windows 98 SE disk which I did. I found what it needed
(whatever that was) because it continued with the install and the VPN
connection worked.

When it was done, however my monitor display looked terrible. There
is a grayish caste over the entire display and some darker gray
striped across. I did try unistalling the VPN but this didn't help.

I tested the monitor by disconnecting it from the PC and turning it
on. It said it was fine. The colors looked good. I reset it and
degaused (spelling?) it but it still looks the same.

What should I do?

Gray is quite fashionable these days. It's the new black. Are you really
sure you want to change it? If so, either reinstall your video driver or
upgrade to the latest version (available from the video card manufacturer's
web site.) Whichever you choose, be sure to follow the manufacturer's
instructions for installing the driver. If a new driver doesn't help, your
video card may need to be replaced (an unhappy coincidence that has has
nothing to do with the VPN.) Before buying a new card, try reseating your
video card, by taking it out of its slot and then putting it back in. (Your
owners manual shows you how to do this.) Sometimes these characters work
themselves loose.

Rocky