Sign in with
Your question

Screen Resolution

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
May 20, 2010 8:13:04 PM

I have an HP zd8230 (XP) with a screen resolution of 1440 x 900. Everything on this laptop is small. The icons are small, the Word documents are small, FF is small. I love everything being small. I can see much more on this screen.

I just bought a Dell Vostro 3700 (XP) with a screen resolution of 1440 x 900. Everything on this laptop is big. The icons are big. Word documents can be reduced to 75% to see the same area of info that I see at 100% on the HP.

I thought the screen resolution would determine the size of what is displayed on the screen. It would seem to me since the Dell has a higher resolution, the display would be small like the HP.

What determines a small display?

More about : screen resolution

May 20, 2010 9:21:32 PM

If you're running Vista or W7, you can select the desktop icons, you can hold CTRL + Scroll Wheel to adjust icon size. Try that out.

http://www.entity.cc/change-icon-size.php

That explains how to on XP.

Good luck,

- Jesse
May 20, 2010 9:29:40 PM

It's not just the icons. Everything is displayed larger on the Dell. The desktop, Word/Excel documents, browsers. Everything is larger.

What spec do I need to verify on a computer to have everything displayed small? Is it something in the DPI setting?
May 21, 2010 12:03:27 AM

yeah, thats right.
!