HyperThreading and ATI TV do not get along

I have an ATI AIW 9800 Pro with all the latest drivers and software, When I
play ATI TV I lose all sound and it locks up after about 2 minutes. ATI asked
me to disable hyperthreading, this fixed it. From there it took me to
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817589
so I could download updates that Microsoft claims they have. I have ran in
circles with this for hours and at no point have I ever seen anywhere to
download anything useful. Can anyone help me?

aerosmith_freak_03 wrote:
> I have an ATI AIW 9800 Pro with all the latest drivers and software,
> When I play ATI TV I lose all sound and it locks up after about 2
> minutes. ATI asked me to disable hyperthreading, this fixed it. From
> there it took me to
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817589
> so I could download updates that Microsoft claims they have. I have
> ran in circles with this for hours and at no point have I ever seen
> anywhere to download anything useful. Can anyone help me?

Obviously you have a reading comprehension problem, so I'm gonna type
slower for you.

Either download the latest Service Pack,

"To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft
Windows XP."

or phone MS for the hotfix at 1-800-MICROSOFT.

"A supported fix is now available from Microsoft . . . . To resolve this
problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to
obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support
Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the
following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[LN];CNTACTMS"

--
Peace!
Kurt

"aerosmith_freak_03" <aerosmith_freak_03@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:4EEE1882-5BAC-47A9-AC25-59F52132743E@microsoft.com...
>I have an ATI AIW 9800 Pro with all the latest drivers and software, When I
> play ATI TV I lose all sound and it locks up after about 2 minutes. ATI
> asked
> me to disable hyperthreading, this fixed it. From there it took me to
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817589
> so I could download updates that Microsoft claims they have. I have ran in
> circles with this for hours and at no point have I ever seen anywhere to
> download anything useful. Can anyone help me?

When I had problems with HyperThreading I eventually traced it back to the
motherboard (which I've since had replaced). Have you tried the test utility
from Intel which checks your system for compatibility:
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/htu/

I hope you get to the bottom of it.

Brian.

--
www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Kurt - I'm usually with you on XP Activation and stuff but maybe the guy can
read!

I'm in the same place (9700 Pro TV hangs after random mins) and I DO have
SP2 installed.

And I tried another motherboard (same video card - same P4 HT chip) and a
re-install (repair after MB change and then a complete reinstall) of XP. And
it still hangs (will not terminate using task manager - won't let XP
shutdown to restart - have to hit reset button).

Any other help Kurt?

> aerosmith_freak_03 wrote:
>> I have an ATI AIW 9800 Pro with all the latest drivers and software,
>> When I play ATI TV I lose all sound and it locks up after about 2
>> minutes. ATI asked me to disable hyperthreading, this fixed it. From
>> there it took me to
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817589
>> so I could download updates that Microsoft claims they have. I have
>> ran in circles with this for hours and at no point have I ever seen
>> anywhere to download anything useful. Can anyone help me?
>
> Obviously you have a reading comprehension problem, so I'm gonna type
> slower for you.
>
> Either download the latest Service Pack,
>
> "To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft
> Windows XP."
>
> or phone MS for the hotfix at 1-800-MICROSOFT.
>
> "A supported fix is now available from Microsoft . . . . To resolve this
> problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain
> the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone
> numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft
> Web site: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[LN];CNTACTMS"
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Compatibility. Have you tried and see if that card is compatible with XP. I have seen many that are not

--
Peter

"andredowney" <andredowney@email.msn.com> wrote in message news:%23q%231zbYuFHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Kurt - I'm usually with you on XP Activation and stuff but maybe the guy can
> read!
>
> I'm in the same place (9700 Pro TV hangs after random mins) and I DO have
> SP2 installed.
>
> And I tried another motherboard (same video card - same P4 HT chip) and a
> re-install (repair after MB change and then a complete reinstall) of XP. And
> it still hangs (will not terminate using task manager - won't let XP
> shutdown to restart - have to hit reset button).
>
> Any other help Kurt?
>

> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message
>> aerosmith_freak_03 wrote:
>>> I have an ATI AIW 9800 Pro with all the latest drivers and software,
>>> When I play ATI TV I lose all sound and it locks up after about 2
>>> minutes. ATI asked me to disable hyperthreading, this fixed it. From
>>> there it took me to
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817589
>>> so I could download updates that Microsoft claims they have. I have
>>> ran in circles with this for hours and at no point have I ever seen
>>> anywhere to download anything useful. Can anyone help me?
>>
>> Obviously you have a reading comprehension problem, so I'm gonna type
>> slower for you.
>>
>> Either download the latest Service Pack,
>>
>> "To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft
>> Windows XP."
>>
>> or phone MS for the hotfix at 1-800-MICROSOFT.
>>
>> "A supported fix is now available from Microsoft . . . . To resolve this
>> problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain
>> the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone
>> numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft
>> Web site: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[LN];CNTACTMS"
>>
>> --
>> Peace!
>> Kurt
>> Self-anointed Moderator
>> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
>> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
>> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
>> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

I assume the card is compatible with XP, I don't have the box right now but
the offer drivers for XP. I didn't get this specific problem with the
previous drivers and software ATI offered but I had plenty of others. I
believe ATI MMC was version 8.5 before. After posting this I dicked with
microsoft for an hour and a half on the phone, after several emails that
didn't have the attachments that were supposed to be there or they had the
incorrect email address. Any how I finally got the email and extracted
everything, I already have SP2 so the file for SP1 was junk, the next file
had stream.pbd. That was all I got, no instructions or anything else, I
renamed it as stream.sys like the file that I guess is FUBAR and replaced the
original (I show several on my system:C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\sp2.cab,
there's a couple under Program Files\Mediator 7, I replace the the one in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers) . After reboot the original was back. Does
anyone know what I need to do?

andredowney wrote:
> Kurt - I'm usually with you on XP Activation and stuff but maybe the
> guy can read!
>
> I'm in the same place (9700 Pro TV hangs after random mins) and I DO
> have SP2 installed.
>
> And I tried another motherboard (same video card - same P4 HT chip)
> and a re-install (repair after MB change and then a complete
> reinstall) of XP. And it still hangs (will not terminate using task
> manager - won't let XP shutdown to restart - have to hit reset
> button).
> Any other help Kurt?

Only to say that it works for me, which I know isn't any help at all.

Actually, make sure you are using the latest ATI drivers, CAT 5.8, and
MMC 9.08