Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

I recently bought a Dell Dimension, but the TFT screen seems to be rather
poor quality.

I had a Samsung SyncMaster 172 V, around £275, before that was clear, but
this Dell screen seems to be a bit cheap. Text and photos don't apear as
clear as on the Samsung.

Does anyone have experience with the quality of Dell screens, I'm not sure
if I have a bad screen, or if they just use cheap ones. I've tried
re-setting the screent to factory settings.

Are Dell TFTs generally good quality?

Someone at Dell suggested setting the screen to 1280x1024, but then
everything's so tiny, on the screen, I can't read it.

Thanks

Ah, there's your problem.

TFT screens are ONLY clear at their primary resolution. You could turn on
cleartype and that will help, but your best bet is to go back to the proper
resolution and change the DPI in XP and make things larger.

This is NOT a problem with the panel. You are configuring it incorrectly.

Tom
"Tony" <poipoipoi@poipoipoi.com> wrote in message
> I recently bought a Dell Dimension, but the TFT screen seems to be rather
> poor quality.
>
> I had a Samsung SyncMaster 172 V, around £275, before that was clear, but
> this Dell screen seems to be a bit cheap. Text and photos don't apear as
> clear as on the Samsung.
>
> Does anyone have experience with the quality of Dell screens, I'm not sure
> if I have a bad screen, or if they just use cheap ones. I've tried
> re-setting the screent to factory settings.
>
> Are Dell TFTs generally good quality?
>

> Someone at Dell suggested setting the screen to 1280x1024, but then
> everything's so tiny, on the screen, I can't read it.
>

> Thanks

Malc

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2001

Tom Scales wrote:

> Ah, there's your problem.
>
> TFT screens are ONLY clear at their primary resolution. You could turn on
> cleartype and that will help, but your best bet is to go back to the proper
> resolution and change the DPI in XP and make things larger.

note that sometimes you may need to tinker with the screen refresh rate
to get the best image clarity - in my experience this tends to come down
to the graphics card that you are using more than the screen though.

Malc

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Thanks for the info.

I called my local PC supply store, they said the Samsung 172 was much better
quality than what Dell supplied. Not sure if this is true.

I did check the settings, but I find the Dell screen poor qulity, compared
to the Samsung 172V I used to have.

I'm going to put the two screens together at my friends house and see if
there's difference.

Cheers

"malc" <malc@N05P4M.gothcorp.co.uk> wrote in message
> Tom Scales wrote:
>
> > Ah, there's your problem.
> >
> > TFT screens are ONLY clear at their primary resolution. You could turn
on
> > cleartype and that will help, but your best bet is to go back to the
proper
> > resolution and change the DPI in XP and make things larger.
> >

> note that sometimes you may need to tinker with the screen refresh rate
> to get the best image clarity - in my experience this tends to come down
> to the graphics card that you are using more than the screen though.
>
> Malc

The organic entity known as Tony communicated the following:

> I called my local PC supply store, they said the Samsung 172 was much
> better quality than what Dell supplied. Not sure if this is true.

Might or might not be true. Buying from suppliers like Dell usually will
not assure you the same original manufactorer over any period of time.

> I did check the settings, but I find the Dell screen poor qulity,
> compared to the Samsung 172V I used to have.

As pointed out earlier, you should criticize a TFT monitor on anything but
it's native resolution.

> I'm going to put the two screens together at my friends house and see
> if there's difference.

Or return the Dell monitor and get an Iiyama ProLite E431S ;)

Hans

The refresh rate doesn't apply for an LCD panel
"malc" <malc@N05P4M.gothcorp.co.uk> wrote in message
> Tom Scales wrote:
>
> > Ah, there's your problem.
> >
> > TFT screens are ONLY clear at their primary resolution. You could turn
on
> > cleartype and that will help, but your best bet is to go back to the
proper
> > resolution and change the DPI in XP and make things larger.
> >

> note that sometimes you may need to tinker with the screen refresh rate
> to get the best image clarity - in my experience this tends to come down
> to the graphics card that you are using more than the screen though.
>
> Malc

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

OK you got me.. is this scree, somewhat more expensive than the Samsung I
was going to get, anything special?

Iiyama ProLite E431S

Malc

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2001

Tom Scales wrote:
> The refresh rate doesn't apply for an LCD panel

Tom, I am well aware of the way that LCD panels work; however between
the Dell E171FP and the gForce FX5200 graphics card I have attached to
my machine at the moment I can make text appear painfully horrid and
fuzzy by selecting 72Hertz or pin-sharp by selecting 75Hertz -
everything else remaining equal.

Malc

The organic entity known as Tony communicated the following:

> OK you got me.. is this scree, somewhat more expensive than the Samsung I
> was going to get, anything special?
>
> Iiyama ProLite E431S

It's just as good as the Samsung I suppose. oth have very good response
times. Over here the Samsuns is the more expensive, which is why I
suggested the Iiyama. When you can get the Samsung cheaper, I rest my case
:)

Hans