Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Whistling sound on my samsung px2370

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 1, 2011 3:08:53 PM

i got two pc-screens the main screen is samsung px2370 led monitor using a hdmi-cabel, and the other is a benq E2200HD LCD monitor.
graphics card nvidia gtx 480

when i pull out the hdmi cable it stops whistling also when i turn off the screen. i tested changing the refresh rate lower and lowering the resolution

a b Ô Samsung
April 1, 2011 3:58:35 PM

first, if you have a microphone attached you might be getting feedback from your speakers. this can cause all sorts of odd noises.

if that isnt the case: read below:

have you tried muting your system sound? the whistling noise might be stemming from your sound card (or integrated sound) if the sound stops then you know that there isnt trouble with the monitor.

if it still occurs, does the whisling occur with the monitor on but the computer off? (ie, getting no signal)

next, if you swap your monitor cables around.. do you still get whistling on the same monitor? (checking to see if its a bad port or cable)

report your findings.

electrical interference noises are typically more static/buzz. changing display rates and resolution modification have no affect on speakers.
m
l
April 1, 2011 4:18:25 PM

i disabled sound to speakers via hdmi
the microphone is not cause
i mixed the calbes around and i still hear the sound on the same monitor
the sound is high frequent
m
l
Related resources
a b Ô Samsung
April 1, 2011 6:18:49 PM

well at least we determined that it most likely isn't a bad port or cable.

we still need to know if the monitor does this with the computer off (or disconnected from computer but still "on" (to determine if it is getting said "noise" from the computer)

since it appears you have a microphone, disconnect it. does the sound still register on the speakers? (this is to PHYSICALLY check that this is not the issue. don't just trust your "i turned sound off for hdmi" on this)

you said you disabled sound to the speakers via hdmi.. but you did not state whether you set your system to mute (or zero volume) under sound properties. (this will help tell if your system is sending a sound signal, or if it is just "noise")

----

if you still hear the noise after doing ALL of the above, chances are theres either something wrong with the speaker itself or the speakers are getting some pretty strong interference (from what?)

m
l
April 1, 2011 6:53:06 PM

i tested the monitor on without being connected to pc, and it stoped whistling.
muting did not work either
disconnecting microphone did not work either
m
l
a b Ô Samsung
April 4, 2011 1:49:01 PM

the problem is not your mic,
both ports act the same way,
the sound is not windows created,

have the monitor speakers ever played sound normally? (could test by hooking up to another device?)

everything seems to point towards either interference in the line or the speakers. if the speakers play ok on another device then that leaves interference. you could try locating the speaker and wire away from anything like a router, magnet, or power supply but for you to get interference over the same cable as video there should be video distortion as well you would think.

if moving the monitor away from such objects still doesn't work i'm afraid i'm stumped.
m
l
April 5, 2011 1:04:14 AM

ssddx said:
the problem is not your mic,
both ports act the same way,
the sound is not windows created,

have the monitor speakers ever played sound normally? (could test by hooking up to another device?)

everything seems to point towards either interference in the line or the speakers. if the speakers play ok on another device then that leaves interference. you could try locating the speaker and wire away from anything like a router, magnet, or power supply but for you to get interference over the same cable as video there should be video distortion as well you would think.

if moving the monitor away from such objects still doesn't work i'm afraid i'm stumped.

ive tried putting my ear into the screen and i hear its getting stronger the closer i get to the powercable and hdmi cable.
i have not experienced video distortion and i dont believe the speakers ar inside the powercableconnection or hdmicableconnection
m
l
a b Ô Samsung
April 5, 2011 12:52:08 PM

so the sound isn't coming from the speakers (i never checked, the monitor does have speakers?) , is that what you are saying?

*if* that is the case then perhaps it is the monitors transformer (or other electronics inside) that is causing the sound. from what i've dealth with typically transformers make a humming noise but i'm by no means an expert. if you think this is the case then you might want to get that checked out by a repair tech as it could mean something might fry.

---

HDMI transmits both video and sound signal. the power cable transmits only power. unshielded data connections (ie, really cheap hdmi cables) can get interference from power cables.
m
l
April 5, 2011 4:52:18 PM

i dont know what kind of hdmi kable i got but it has a normal hdmi and a smaller type of hdmi.
but when i try a dvi the sound remains so it cant be the hdmi.
the monitor has speakers yes but i turned them down to 0 at the screens menu thingy
and the part about transformers i agree due to the fact that the sound comes from a place near the cable-connections
m
l

Best solution

a b Ô Samsung
April 5, 2011 5:45:14 PM

well there you go, through trial and error every single factor besides the monitor internals have been eliminated. you can now say with reasonable certainty that it is either a problem with the panel board or transformers. seems to me that you might want to have a tech look at it if under warranty or perhaps replace the unit if it is older (as a repair tech is likely to charge a minimum of about $80).
April 5, 2011 10:53:53 PM

Best answer selected by zniff.
m
l
!