What do you think is the best anti virus software for WIN7

e-coli

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Hi,
Could everyone that reads this thread give their own opinion about what is the best anti virus for WIN7.
Could you also take these factors into account: least amount of RAM used (certainly not Norton), best GUI, best scanning system, best security.

Thanks
-e-coli

NvidiaUser.png

rsmith13

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009

Microsoft Security Essentials
windows.microsoft.com/en-US/.../security-essentials-download

e-coli

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Is there any "paid" virus software that anyone could recommend as I am not a fan of Microsoft Security. Also I do not mind spending some money for extra good security.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
The best anti-virus you can get, is the end user.
It takes up zero system resources, and is the best security available.

Malicious links stick out like a sore thumb, do not click them.
Pirating programs is bound to give you viruses as well.
Someone sends you a file with the name "checkthisout.exe" or "nipslip.exe", don't open it.

Common sense is the best antivirus there is out there. I have stopped loading any form of anti malware on my machines, and they are significantly faster by doing so. Once in a while I run adaware and malwarebytes, but they have never picked up anything because I am careful with how I use my computer.

It has been proven that many anti-malware suits do not hinder performance much at all most of the time (scans and such can obviously take a big hit, but even then, anyone with an SSD is unlikely to have any issue from them).

Also, even legitimate sites get hacked occasionally and you wouldn't even know about the infection you get when you visit the site unless it makes itself known or you do a scan, if even then.

Common sense is probably the most important factor of security, but it shouldn't be relied on as the only factor.

My support team for a UK-wide application thoroughly hates AVG as it causes no-end of issues. Over the summer it was such a pain that it now has it's own category in our support-call stats.

I moved from an Enterpise deployment of Sophos to MS Security Essentials. I'm not one to often recommend M$ applications, but in 4 years and well over 150 deployments, never gives any trouble. Light, fast and unobtrusive. No AV is perfect (and +1 to the common sense comments), but it has done a good job for me and mine.

Web shield, file shield, and much more... Sorry, my memory isn't great after pulling an all-nighter and I'm not using Avast on the computer that I'm using now (home version doesn't support Server 2008 R2 :( ).

If you don't mind, you could give it and/or some other anti-malware programs a quick test-drive (one at a time, of course) to see if you have a personal preference.

aramisathei

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Personally, I've had the best results with Kaspersky and Bitdefender.

The two go back and forth, but lately it seems like Bitdefender has been a little more robust.

It's designed for multiple types of devices, supports most OSes, and can even locate any device runnng the system and remote lock/wipe it (tested with my laptop once--pretty neat).

It isn't cheap, but in a couple years with a bunch of reckless people using my systems it hasn't been infected once.

As for what the OP asked, I think Kaspersky has a simpler UI and is easier to use, but it seems Bitdefender is less ram intensive and provides better background scanning/security.

Never use free security, downloaded from the internet, it's a scam. You have been WARNED.
Use only a professional, all in one security system.
Do not use multiple, mismatched security programs, they conflict with each other.

A lot of free security suits are great and not scams.

You don't need a professional security suit.

Using multiple, mismatched programs generally only causes conflicts if you have multiple programs of the same type, not different programs of different types (IE don't get two different firewalls or anti-virus suits, but you usually can have one anti-virus suit and one firewall that aren't from the same company). For example, I've used Avast Home Edition (free) with Comodo Firewall (did not install the Comodo AV because that would have conflicted with Avast and is an inferior AV, or at least it was last year when I did my installs). I've even thrown Spyboy Search and Destroy along with Threat-fire in there without any issues.

Microsoft Security Essentials. Three PCs, using it as long as it has existed, and had one virus get through.

I booted with Kaspersky's free rescue CD, fixed it, and went about business.

Do periodically run a Malwarebytes scan.

Cannot see the value of a paid suite.

G

There is no "best" - there are several very capable products but none of them can nor do claim to be the best, only fanbois make such claims.

G

What complete and utter bollox

"You have been WARNED." - I for one would like to know how exactly does your "warning" carry any authority.

"Use only a professional, all in one security system" - Actually security professionals will tell you to take a multi-layered approach to security using different vendors for different areas. Reason:- All in one products have a common code base. What exactly do you class as "Professional" you will not find any consumer class products in use in SMB/SMEs, well none that have been advised correctly anyway.

"Do not use multiple, mismatched security programs, they conflict with each other." - If you install 2 AV products or 2 firewalls then yes conflicts are a given, but using one vendors AV and another vendors Firewall is OK.

TRENDING THREADS