Printing problems with canon ip100 all B&W prints are magenta

eaurouge

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Magenta bias on all black and white prints with Canon ip100

Since buying my ip100 a year ago I have never been able to obtain a black & white ptint without a magenta cast. Heres the funny thing: even with both photoshop file set to B&QW AND the printer driver set to greyscale prints still come out with a pink / magenta cast. I have changed cartridges many times over the year.
Colour seems to be OK the quality is really very good but I don't know how much bias I am having to correct if everything is tainted by this magenta cast.
Is my printer faulty?

My files print out perfectly on my friend's Epson 1290 - tint free black and white when printed both in full RGB (desaturated)and greyscale.
It's driving me nuts!

ANy help would be gratefully received!!
Richard

Does it use black by mixing all colors or just using a black cartridge? Depending on the printer and print-out options, a printer can create black by mixing all the colors instead of using the black cartridge. If it mixes the colors, something could be off there where it's injecting too much or to little of a color.

Does sound like something is wrong with the printer, unless for some reason you have some funky paper that reacts with it. Should have returned it a year ago, if the thing in warranty anymore?

eaurouge

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Sadly warrenty is JUST out... The ip100 has two seperate carts. 1 x black and 1 x 3 colour. So it shopuld therefore print completely black and white if the printer driver 'print greyscale' box has been checked. But it doesn't! Wierd!
Thanks for your input though!!
R

If you print out only text (make it a large font so you can see the color better) is it all black? Or is the issue in both pictures/photos and text?

I have had 2 (and still do) Pixma printers and love them, no color issues. It's not very pricey to get a new InkJet anyway.

eaurouge

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
H_T_9

I have printed out a large letter and it definitely comes our BLACK. So where could I go from here? I will assume that the problem is therefore software based? Or perhaps alternative drivers are called for?

A new driver may help, or possibly the printer itself is bad. Check options in how it prints black, it looks like it's printing images by mixing the 3 colors, and there is the issue, it just adding a bit too much red or something to the mix.

eaurouge

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Yes I think that is the point. It seems to be using the 3 colours to try and reproduce black. It's hard to see if any black ink is actually used in them mix.

As I mentioned before using photoshop I have used both the 'convert to Greyscale' and 'Hue & Saturation' options to remove any visible colour and they BOTH print out the same with this magenta tint!

Something is obviously working as the text is printing out dead black. Possibly it could be the 'print photo' option that is to blame. Maybe I should use the text option to print the images!

I am at a loss as to what to do next when all my colleagues who have printed out this file for me have come up mono!

Thanks for your input anyway I appreciate it!

Chris

Using 3 colors to make black is normal, especially for pictures. So the issue is not in the fact that it does that, but the fact that it's doing it poorly. New printer is cheap though :) Oh, another thing, are the cartridges you use "official" from Epson or refils 3rd parthy? Could be the quality or electronics in a cheaper cartridge causing this.

GMolinaro

Reputable
Feb 14, 2014
Did you ever solve the magenta problem while printing b&w? I have the same printer and am experiencing the same problems.