Password Problem

I have just re-installed Windows XP in my laptop. Everything was ok until it
asked me my name for my account and whether i wanted a second named account,
which I thought I did. Arriving at the log-on page I was asked for my
password. I had not yet set up a password. I tried some of the passwords I
use but each one brings up the message :
The system cannot log you on due to the following error
The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
Please try again or contact your system administrator

Since i am de facto the system administrator -- what do I do?

I cannot even turn off the computer, other than by holding down the power
switch - it is stuck on this page.
8 answers Last reply
More about password problem

    If you haven't set up a password yet, don't enter one
    when you log in. The same applies to the actual
    Administrator account.

    --
    -Bob
    _______________________________

    "I hate computers" <I hate computers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have just re-installed Windows XP in my laptop. Everything was ok until it
    > asked me my name for my account and whether i wanted a second named account,
    > which I thought I did. Arriving at the log-on page I was asked for my
    > password. I had not yet set up a password. I tried some of the passwords I
    > use but each one brings up the message :
    > The system cannot log you on due to the following error
    > The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
    > Please try again or contact your system administrator
    >
    > Since i am de facto the system administrator -- what do I do?
    >
    > I cannot even turn off the computer, other than by holding down the power
    > switch - it is stuck on this page.

    It makes no difference as soon as i click on my name I am asked for a
    password and even if I enter nothing I still get the same message as before.
    I think I'll try reloading XP and see what that does.

    "Bob [MVP]" wrote:

    > If you haven't set up a password yet, don't enter one
    > when you log in. The same applies to the actual
    > Administrator account.
    >
    > --
    > -Bob
    > _______________________________
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Media Center Edition
    > http://www.microsoft.com/ehome
    >

    > "I hate computers" <I hate computers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have just re-installed Windows XP in my laptop. Everything was ok until it
    > > asked me my name for my account and whether i wanted a second named account,
    > > which I thought I did. Arriving at the log-on page I was asked for my
    > > password. I had not yet set up a password. I tried some of the passwords I
    > > use but each one brings up the message :
    > > The system cannot log you on due to the following error
    > > The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
    > > Please try again or contact your system administrator
    > >
    > > Since i am de facto the system administrator -- what do I do?
    > >
    > > I cannot even turn off the computer, other than by holding down the power
    > > switch - it is stuck on this page.

    Try hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del twice at the logon screen to bring up the classic
    logon. Then use the account name of Administrator with no password.

    "I hate computers" wrote:

    > It makes no difference as soon as i click on my name I am asked for a
    > password and even if I enter nothing I still get the same message as before.
    > I think I'll try reloading XP and see what that does.
    >
    > "Bob [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > If you haven't set up a password yet, don't enter one
    > > when you log in. The same applies to the actual
    > > Administrator account.
    > >
    > > --
    > > -Bob
    > > _______________________________
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP Media Center Edition
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/ehome
    > >

    > > "I hate computers" <I hate computers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >I have just re-installed Windows XP in my laptop. Everything was ok until it
    > > > asked me my name for my account and whether i wanted a second named account,
    > > > which I thought I did. Arriving at the log-on page I was asked for my
    > > > password. I had not yet set up a password. I tried some of the passwords I
    > > > use but each one brings up the message :
    > > > The system cannot log you on due to the following error
    > > > The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
    > > > Please try again or contact your system administrator
    > > >
    > > > Since i am de facto the system administrator -- what do I do?
    > > >
    > > > I cannot even turn off the computer, other than by holding down the power
    > > > switch - it is stuck on this page.

    Have just tried that. It made no difference. I am re-installing from CD and
    hope that if I skip wherever that is an option instead of filling in forms
    that i might get there.

    "brianb" wrote:

    > Try hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del twice at the logon screen to bring up the classic
    > logon. Then use the account name of Administrator with no password.
    >
    > "I hate computers" wrote:
    >
    > > It makes no difference as soon as i click on my name I am asked for a
    > > password and even if I enter nothing I still get the same message as before.
    > > I think I'll try reloading XP and see what that does.
    > >
    > > "Bob [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > > > If you haven't set up a password yet, don't enter one
    > > > when you log in. The same applies to the actual
    > > > Administrator account.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > -Bob
    > > > _______________________________
    > > > Microsoft MVP
    > > > Windows XP Media Center Edition
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/ehome
    > > >

    > > > "I hate computers" <I hate computers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    "=?Utf-8?B?SSBoYXRlIGNvbXB1dGVycw==?="

    > Have just tried that. It made no difference. I am re-installing from
    > CD and hope that if I skip wherever that is an option instead of
    > filling in forms that i might get there.

    use the boot disk here: http://home.eunet.no/
    ~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

    which contains a p/w changing utility to change the password of ANY account
    w/o knowing the original p/w

    (shows how incredibly easy it is to bypass Windows logon security)

    DanS

    DanS wrote:

    > "=?Utf-8?B?SSBoYXRlIGNvbXB1dGVycw==?="
    > <Ihatecomputers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >
    >> Have just tried that. It made no difference. I am re-installing from
    >> CD and hope that if I skip wherever that is an option instead of
    >> filling in forms that i might get there.
    >>

    > use the boot disk here:
    >http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html
    >
    > which contains a p/w changing utility to change the password of ANY
    > account w/o knowing the original p/w
    >
    > (shows how incredibly easy it is to bypass Windows logon security)
    >
    > DanS

    I also use NTpasswd and highly recommend it. Just a note here, though -
    this doesn't show anything about Windows logon security. Any computer
    running any operating system can be gotten into by a person with skill
    and time and physical access. You can do the same with my SuSE Linux
    box. This doesn't make Windows or SuSE logons insecure - computers that
    need to be absolutely secure can't be physically accessible by just
    anyone.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in news:u123d6YuFHA.1132
    @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

    > DanS wrote:
    >
    >> "=?Utf-8?B?SSBoYXRlIGNvbXB1dGVycw==?="
    >> <Ihatecomputers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Have just tried that. It made no difference. I am re-installing from
    >>> CD and hope that if I skip wherever that is an option instead of
    >>> filling in forms that i might get there.
    >>>

    >> use the boot disk here:
    >>http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html
    >>
    >> which contains a p/w changing utility to change the password of ANY
    >> account w/o knowing the original p/w
    >>
    >> (shows how incredibly easy it is to bypass Windows logon security)
    >>
    >> DanS
    >
    > I also use NTpasswd and highly recommend it. Just a note here, though -
    > this doesn't show anything about Windows logon security. Any computer
    > running any operating system can be gotten into by a person with skill
    > and time and physical access. You can do the same with my SuSE Linux
    > box. This doesn't make Windows or SuSE logons insecure - computers that
    > need to be absolutely secure can't be physically accessible by just
    > anyone.
    >
    > Malke

    Maybe my statement may have been somewhat harsh, but still, I think non-
    technical people, that don't have vast experience with comuters, don't
    know that there are utilities like this. I know several people,
    personally, that were truly shocked when I demonstrated using this disk
    to just get into any machine no problem. They were small business owner's
    that took care of their own network's, so they knew enough to keep the
    thing's running. But they were under the assumption that you just
    couldn't do that.

    It was funny.....one company had a 256K DSL connection. The owner thought
    that was fast, being only used to dial-up. I mentioned to him that I get
    sustained d/l thru cable of 4 megabit's/sec. Almost 3 T1's, I said. Being
    a very intelligent engineer and successful business owner, he got this
    look of disbelief on his face, then said, 'It can't be better than a T1.
    I'll have to verify that with Steve'.

    Steve is a consultant in control electronics he calls in here and there
    for projects. His computer expert. He just didn't think I could get that
    speed to my home when his slow business DSL cost's 4 times as much. He
    also still believed that a T1 line was the best you could get.

    DanS

    This looks like my way forward. Right now I am again reloading the XP from
    disk and whereas previously had chosen the Recovery option, this time I have
    chosen set-up from scratch, thus reformatting the HD, so we'll see what
    happens. FYI the guy in the shop whom I've been consulting without charge,
    thinks I may have a damaged sector on the HD. Thanks folks for all comments,
    even the ones that didn't solve the problem. It's good to know there are
    these forums available.

Windows XP