Tech HELP for Bally Playboy.

xlr8

Help me out here...

I bought a Playboy game. Not exactly my kind of game, but the price was
right. I set it up and played a few games - no problems. Then, in the
middle of a game, BAM, the playfield and backglass lights went out. I
checked the fuses. One was blown out. I went to replace it and it was a
20A fuse!!! Clearly, there should not be a 20A fuse in that slot. I
referred to the manual and it calls for a 5A. I checked around the house
and found another 20A fuse. I put it in and BAM, that one went out too.

So I'm thinking OK, I obviously have a short somewhere. I do not have a
meter and I know NOTHING about boards. Can someone suggest what I should
do now??

LTG !!! You have successfully halped me in the past.... What shoudl I do
NOW?? Remember, I know almost nothing about repairs so try to keep any
suggestions in simple terms!! Thanks!!

Have a good day,

Jim

I'd check the bridge rectifier(s) on your power supply board. One has a dead
short. LTG :)

"xlr8" <xlr8@enter.net> wrote in message
> Help me out here...
>
> I bought a Playboy game. Not exactly my kind of game, but the price was
> right. I set it up and played a few games - no problems. Then, in the
> middle of a game, BAM, the playfield and backglass lights went out. I
> checked the fuses. One was blown out. I went to replace it and it was a
> 20A fuse!!! Clearly, there should not be a 20A fuse in that slot. I
> referred to the manual and it calls for a 5A. I checked around the house
> and found another 20A fuse. I put it in and BAM, that one went out too.
>
> So I'm thinking OK, I obviously have a short somewhere. I do not have a
> meter and I know NOTHING about boards. Can someone suggest what I should
> do now??
>
> LTG !!! You have successfully halped me in the past.... What shoudl I
do
> NOW?? Remember, I know almost nothing about repairs so try to keep any
> suggestions in simple terms!! Thanks!!
>
> Have a good day,
>
> Jim

Del

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001

LTG)

If it was F-4 blowing I'd Bank on your answer,

Jim, if you want to buy a working tested good transformer/Power supply
board, let me know.

Pin-Del,

5a fuse in this game (on the fuse/rectifier board in lower right corner of
backbox) should be F4- for the solenoid power (43vdc) circuit.

You most likely have a shorted BR3 bridge rectifier on that board. Quick
way to test is to remove connectors J1 and J3 from this board (leaving J2
connected), put in good fuse, turn power on. If fuse blows, then yes-
shorted bridge rectifier BR3 is most likely. If fuse doesn't blow with
J1/J3 removed, then you have a short elsewhere in the game- somewhere on the
solenoid buss wire (yellow I think, in this game).

You may also want to check the small red varistor (looks like a disc
capacitor) near BR3 as this one can clamp (short) if voltage on the 43vdc
line gets too high (it's a surge protector basically). I've personally
never seen one fail, but easy to check- just look for a burned up varistor
(will be obvious).

We have new replacement VJ248 rectifiers for these boards in stock- see our
website at: www.actionpinball.com for pics, info, pricing, online ordering.

I strongly recommend replacing all 3 rectifiers at the same time on these
boards, since when one goes, the others are usually not far behind.... Most
of these are 25+ year old parts and never been replaced.

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

"xlr8" <xlr8@enter.net> wrote in message
> Help me out here...
>
> I bought a Playboy game. Not exactly my kind of game, but the price was
> right. I set it up and played a few games - no problems. Then, in the
> middle of a game, BAM, the playfield and backglass lights went out. I
> checked the fuses. One was blown out. I went to replace it and it was a
> 20A fuse!!! Clearly, there should not be a 20A fuse in that slot. I
> referred to the manual and it calls for a 5A. I checked around the house
> and found another 20A fuse. I put it in and BAM, that one went out too.
>
> So I'm thinking OK, I obviously have a short somewhere. I do not have a
> meter and I know NOTHING about boards. Can someone suggest what I should
> do now??
>
> LTG !!! You have successfully halped me in the past.... What shoudl I
do
> NOW?? Remember, I know almost nothing about repairs so try to keep any
> suggestions in simple terms!! Thanks!!
>
> Have a good day,
>
> Jim

xlr8

WOW... That was fast.... I'll check on that. I have visitors coming over
at 5 PM and my wife says I have to vaccume (It's 3 now...). I likely won't
get the chance to check this until tomorrow morning. I will let you know
how it all turns out!!

Have a good day,

Jim