I own a copy of Windows XP Home SP1 it is installed on my desktop and I want
to install it on my sons computer. Do I have to buy another copy or can I
just buy another Licence.
I dont think I should have to spend another $150.00 for another copy.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

You need to purchase a new Windows XP license for each
installation on a different computer. You cannot use the
same license (Product Key) if you install on different PCs.
Product Activation will not enable on a second installation
on a different PC if you use the same license.

Please read your End-User License Agreement by going
to Start > Run and type: WINVER , and hit enter. Then
click on "End-User License Agreement".

From the Windows XP EULA:

1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access,
display and run one copy of the Software on a single
computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other
device ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not
be used by more than two (2) processors at any one
time on any single Workstation Computer.

If you already have a retail copy of Windows XP, you can obtain
additional licenses for another computer or laptop by visiting the
following Microsoft Web site:
http://shop.microsoft.com/special/wal/walinfo.asp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Mixxdj" wrote:

| I own a copy of Windows XP Home SP1 it is installed on my desktop and I want
| to install it on my sons computer. Do I have to buy another copy or can I
| just buy another Licence.
| I dont think I should have to spend another $150.00 for another copy.
|
| Any help would be appreciated
|
| Thanks

Thank You for your quick response that’s what I wanted to know.

Mixxdj wrote:
> I own a copy of Windows XP Home SP1 it is installed on my desktop and
> I want to install it on my sons computer. Do I have to buy another
> copy or can I just buy another Licence.
> I dont think I should have to spend another $150.00 for another copy.

Then don't. If your copy of XP is Retail or generic OEM and it's been
more than 120 days, then it should activate over the internet with no
problem.

If it has been less than 120 days, then you'll have to phone MS to
activate the instal on your son's computer, and come up with a
convincing story.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Ok maybe I didn’t phrase it properly. I just want to know if I can install
windows on two computers. Can I buy a license for the second computer or do I
have to buy a new copy of windows.

"kurttrail" wrote:

> Mixxdj wrote:
> > I own a copy of Windows XP Home SP1 it is installed on my desktop and
> > I want to install it on my sons computer. Do I have to buy another
> > copy or can I just buy another Licence.
> > I dont think I should have to spend another $150.00 for another copy.
>
> Then don't. If your copy of XP is Retail or generic OEM and it's been
> more than 120 days, then it should activate over the internet with no
> problem.
>
> If it has been less than 120 days, then you'll have to phone MS to
> activate the instal on your son's computer, and come up with a
> convincing story.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

"kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in news:
#uW4NwUuFHA.1028@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

And break the EULA in the process. Windows is licensed to be used on a
single computer at a time.

> Mixxdj wrote:
>> I own a copy of Windows XP Home SP1 it is installed on my desktop and
>> I want to install it on my sons computer. Do I have to buy another
>> copy or can I just buy another Licence.
>> I dont think I should have to spend another $150.00 for another copy.
>
> Then don't. If your copy of XP is Retail or generic OEM and it's been
> more than 120 days, then it should activate over the internet with no
> problem.
>
> If it has been less than 120 days, then you'll have to phone MS to
> activate the instal on your son's computer, and come up with a
> convincing story.

If you have a "Retail Version" Windows XP CD, you can use the same CD
to install on a different computer, providing you purchase a second license.

Mixxdj wrote:
> Ok maybe I didn't phrase it properly. I just want to know if I can
> install windows on two computers. Can I buy a license for the second
> computer or do I have to buy a new copy of windows.

If you want to subsidize MS, then buying a second license directly from
them is more expensive than buying another copy from a 3rd party vendor,
and MS will get more money from you.

--

"Mixxdj" <Mixxdj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I own a copy of Windows XP Home SP1 it is installed on my desktop and I
want
> to install it on my sons computer. Do I have to buy another copy or can I
> just buy another Licence.
> I dont think I should have to spend another $150.00 for another copy.

How about $1 for the extra copy on CD and $149 for the license? The CD costs
very little to make, The code on it costs a lot.

CWatters wrote:

<<snipped>>

> How about $1 for the extra copy on CD and $149 for the license? The CD costs
> very little to make, The code on it costs a lot.

No, the code does not cost a lot considering that it took
just a team of programmers to write a product that has sold
several hundred millions of copies. The cost is in the license
and it is typically an arbitrary number.

First I live in Canada and the best price I can find is $125.00, I can't
understand why Microsoft Charges so much if they lowered the price to 75 or
85 dollars most people would buy windows. There would be allot less illegal
copies of XP around and they would end up making more money in the long run.
Here I went out and bought XP and now I want to install it on a second
computer in my house and it's going to cost me another $150. And Microsoft
wonders why there are so many Pirate copies of windows.

Thanks to all that replied

"Ghostrider" wrote:

> CWatters wrote:
>
> <<snipped>>
>
> > How about $1 for the extra copy on CD and $149 for the license? The CD costs
> > very little to make, The code on it costs a lot.
>
> No, the code does not cost a lot considering that it took
> just a team of programmers to write a product that has sold
> several hundred millions of copies. The cost is in the license
> and it is typically an arbitrary number.

Alias

> You need to purchase a new Windows XP license for each
> installation on a different computer. You cannot use the
> same license (Product Key) if you install on different PCs.
> Product Activation will not enable on a second installation
> on a different PC if you use the same license.
>
> Please read your End-User License Agreement by going
> to Start > Run and type: WINVER , and hit enter. Then
> click on "End-User License Agreement".
>
> From the Windows XP EULA:
>
> 1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access,
> display and run one copy of the Software on a single
> computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other
> device ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not
> be used by more than two (2) processors at any one
> time on any single Workstation Computer.
>
> If you already have a retail copy of Windows XP, you can obtain
> additional licenses for another computer or laptop by visiting the
> following Microsoft Web site:
> http://shop.microsoft.com/special/wal/walinfo.asp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Mixxdj" wrote:
>
> | I own a copy of Windows XP Home SP1 it is installed on my desktop and I
> want
> | to install it on my sons computer. Do I have to buy another copy or can
> | just buy another Licence.
> | I dont think I should have to spend another $150.00 for another copy.
> |
> | Any help would be appreciated
> |
> | Thanks

You can get OEM copies for less than that. Wallmarts has them for $119.98.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1957319&cat=3954&type=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A3951%3A3954

Alias

Alias

Prices on Carey's link:

Windows XP additional license pricing
Version Additional License Price
Windows XP Professional-full version $269.00
Windows XP Professional-version upgrade $184.00
Windows XP Home Edition-full version $184.00
Windows XP Home Edition-version upgrade $84.00

Walmart is cheaper.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition OEM Version
$119.98

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition OEM Version
$198.98

Alias

"Mixxdj" <Mixxdj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Thank You for your quick response thatâ?Ts what I wanted to know.
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You need to purchase a new Windows XP license for each
>> installation on a different computer. You cannot use the
>> same license (Product Key) if you install on different PCs.
>> Product Activation will not enable on a second installation
>> on a different PC if you use the same license.
>>
>> Please read your End-User License Agreement by going
>> to Start > Run and type: WINVER , and hit enter. Then
>> click on "End-User License Agreement".
>>
>> From the Windows XP EULA:
>>
>> 1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access,
>> display and run one copy of the Software on a single
>> computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other
>> device ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not
>> be used by more than two (2) processors at any one
>> time on any single Workstation Computer.
>>
>> If you already have a retail copy of Windows XP, you can obtain
>> additional licenses for another computer or laptop by visiting the
>> following Microsoft Web site:
>> http://shop.microsoft.com/special/wal/walinfo.asp
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> "Mixxdj" wrote:
>>
>> | I own a copy of Windows XP Home SP1 it is installed on my desktop and I
>> want
>> | to install it on my sons computer. Do I have to buy another copy or can
>> | just buy another Licence.
>> | I dont think I should have to spend another $150.00 for another copy.
>> |
>> | Any help would be appreciated
>> |
>> | Thanks

begin 666 spacer.gif
M1TE&.#EA% `4`(#_`,# P ```"'Y! $`````+ `````4`!0```(1A(^IR^T/
-HYRTVHNSWKS[KQ4`.P``
`
end

Alias

"Asher_N" <compguy666@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in news:
> #uW4NwUuFHA.1028@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:
>
> And break the EULA in the process. Windows is licensed to be used on a
> single computer at a time.

Course, one hasn't agreed to the EULA until it's too late to get your money
back, so should such a scam be honored and respected?

Alias

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in

> "Asher_N" <compguy666@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
>> news: #uW4NwUuFHA.1028@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:
>>
>> And break the EULA in the process. Windows is licensed to be used on
>> a single computer at a time.
>
> Course, one hasn't agreed to the EULA until it's too late to get your
> money back, so should such a scam be honored and respected?
>
> Alias

Because it's a contract that you have agreed to.

Asher_N wrote:

> Because it's a contract that you have agreed to.

No, it is a post-sale shrink-wrap license.

--

> Asher_N wrote:
>
>> Because it's a contract that you have agreed to.
>
> No, it is a post-sale shrink-wrap license.

And by acepting it and installing the software, you are bound by it.

Mixxdj wrote:
> I own a copy of Windows XP Home SP1 it is installed on my desktop and I want
> to install it on my sons computer. Do I have to buy another copy or can I
> just buy another Licence.

You'll need to purchase a separate WinXP license for each computer
on which you install it.

Just as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and U.S.
copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if not
technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which it
is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to determine
final applicability in your locale.) The only way in which WinXP
licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows is that
Microsoft has finally added a copy protection and anti-theft mechanism,
Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make more difficult)
multiple installations using a single license.

One can buy additional licenses, assuming one already has a retail
license. Naturally, Microsoft cannot sell additional OEM licenses. Be
aware, however, that you'll probably pay more this way than you would if
you were to buy a second copy of WinXP from a discount retailer;
Microsoft will only offer you a 15% discount off their MSRP.

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Home Edition
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.asp

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Professional
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp

> I dont think I should have to spend another $150.00 for another copy.

Sounds like you already knew the answer before you posted.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Alias

Walmart's cheaper :)

Alias

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote

Mixxdj wrote:
> I own a copy of Windows XP Home SP1 it is installed on my desktop and I want
> to install it on my sons computer. Do I have to buy another copy or can I
> just buy another Licence.
> I dont think I should have to spend another $150.00 for another copy.

FYI: XP Home OEM (SP2) can be had at TigerDirect.com for $90.

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition OEM Version with SP2
$89.99

Asher_N wrote:
> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
>
>> Asher_N wrote:
>>
>>> Because it's a contract that you have agreed to.
>>
>> No, it is a post-sale shrink-wrap license.
>>

> And by acepting it and installing the software, you are bound by it.

You may agree to be bound in servitude to MS, but I haven't, and I never
will. If MS doesn't like it, then they can sue me! And they don't have
the balls.

--

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> Mixxdj wrote:
>> I own a copy of Windows XP Home SP1 it is installed on my desktop
>> and I want to install it on my sons computer. Do I have to buy
>> another copy or can I just buy another Licence.
>

> You'll need to purchase a separate WinXP license for each computer
> on which you install it.
>
> Just as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
> systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and
> U.S. copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html),
> if not technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer
> on which it is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright
> law to determine final applicability in your locale.) <snip>

IOW, don't believe Bruce, seek a real legal opinion. One that doesn't
confuse a Limitation on the rights of the COPYRIGHT OWNER as a
Limitation on the OWNER OF A COPY.

And if you follow the link Bruce gave, you'd see the Copyright law is a
LIMITATION ON THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS OF COPYRIGHT OWNERS!

Bruce is too narrow-minded to see reality.

--

> First I live in Canada and the best price I can find is $125.00, I can't
> understand why Microsoft Charges so much if they lowered the price to 75
or
> 85 dollars most people would buy windows.

Most people DO buy Windows.

> There would be allot less illegal
> copies of XP around and they would end up making more money in the long
run.
> Here I went out and bought XP and now I want to install it on a second
> computer in my house and it's going to cost me another $150. And Microsoft
> wonders why there are so many Pirate copies of windows.

Not so many since Activation was introduced.

> Asher_N wrote:
>
> > Because it's a contract that you have agreed to.
>
> No, it is a post-sale shrink-wrap license.

I recall reading a judgement in a Scotish law case that said the sale isn't
completed until the licence was agreed. In other words if you don't like the
license when you get to read it you can take the product back and get a
refund.

The judge also pointed out that the act of installing S/W on a computer
infringes normal copyright laws (because a copy is being made) - so in
theory some form of license has to be supplied with EVERY piece of
software. I can't immediatly see why the same thinking shouldn't be applied
to music CDs - even a dumb CD Walkman buffers fragments of the music in
memory for anti-shock reasons.

"CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in

> "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
> message news:O3qZO7VuFHA.3068@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Asher_N wrote:
>>
>> > Because it's a contract that you have agreed to.
>>
>> No, it is a post-sale shrink-wrap license.
>>

> I recall reading a judgement in a Scotish law case that said the sale
> isn't completed until the licence was agreed. In other words if you
> don't like the license when you get to read it you can take the
> product back and get a refund.
>
> The judge also pointed out that the act of installing S/W on a
> computer infringes normal copyright laws (because a copy is being
> made) - so in theory some form of license has to be supplied with
> EVERY piece of software. I can't immediatly see why the same thinking
> shouldn't be applied to music CDs - even a dumb CD Walkman buffers
> fragments of the music in memory for anti-shock reasons.

Because the Walkman does not make a permanent, or even a complete copy.