XP Pro User Accounts

September 14, 2005 4:57:50 PM

Hi,

I just installed (clean) XP Pro and set up some user accounts. I'm familiar
with Win2K and thought that XP would be similar with regard to user
accounts, but it appears that's not true. When I go to user accounts, I
only see limited user and administrator accounts. How can I set someone to
power user or in between admin and user?

Thanks.

Robert

More about : pro user accounts

September 14, 2005 6:41:06 PM

In news:L6CdnfGBJ4MQy7XeRVn-jw@adelphia.com,
Mr. Newt <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> had this to say:

> Hi,
>
> I just installed (clean) XP Pro and set up some user accounts. I'm
> familiar with Win2K and thought that XP would be similar with regard
> to user accounts, but it appears that's not true. When I go to user
> accounts, I only see limited user and administrator accounts. How
> can I set someone to power user or in between admin and user?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Robert

Well, that's not as easy as one might hope. Fortunately, for Pro, the Power
User account was left in place but that's mostly for legacy reasons going
back to the NT days.

Start > run > type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes and hit enter
Highlight the account, click properties, and click on the Group Membership
tab
Tick Other and in the drop down box assign them a non-standard account
type/membership

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 7:54:54 PM

Thanks. Did the trick! =)
> In news:L6CdnfGBJ4MQy7XeRVn-jw@adelphia.com,
> Mr. Newt <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> had this to say:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I just installed (clean) XP Pro and set up some user accounts. I'm
>> familiar with Win2K and thought that XP would be similar with regard
>> to user accounts, but it appears that's not true. When I go to user
>> accounts, I only see limited user and administrator accounts. How
>> can I set someone to power user or in between admin and user?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Robert
>
> Well, that's not as easy as one might hope. Fortunately, for Pro, the
> Power User account was left in place but that's mostly for legacy reasons
> going back to the NT days.
>
> Start > run > type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes and hit
> enter
> Highlight the account, click properties, and click on the Group Membership
> tab
> Tick Other and in the drop down box assign them a non-standard account
> type/membership
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained his
> trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you will
> come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after all."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

September 14, 2005 11:28:31 PM

Mr. Newt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed (clean) XP Pro and set up some user accounts. I'm familiar
> with Win2K and thought that XP would be similar with regard to user
> accounts, but it appears that's not true. When I go to user accounts, I
> only see limited user and administrator accounts. How can I set someone to
> power user or in between admin and user?

Easily done. Right-click My Computer > Manage > Users and Local
Groups.....

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
September 15, 2005 7:20:25 AM

In news:HbidnVPdKKePHbXeRVn-tg@adelphia.com,
Mr. Newt <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> had this to say:

> Thanks. Did the trick! =)
> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> In news:L6CdnfGBJ4MQy7XeRVn-jw@adelphia.com,
>> Mr. Newt <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> had this to say:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just installed (clean) XP Pro and set up some user accounts. I'm
>>> familiar with Win2K and thought that XP would be similar with regard
>>> to user accounts, but it appears that's not true. When I go to user
>>> accounts, I only see limited user and administrator accounts. How
>>> can I set someone to power user or in between admin and user?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Robert
>>
>> Well, that's not as easy as one might hope. Fortunately, for Pro, the
>> Power User account was left in place but that's mostly for legacy
>> reasons going back to the NT days.
>>
>> Start > run > type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes and
>> hit enter
>> Highlight the account, click properties, and click on the Group
>> Membership tab
>> Tick Other and in the drop down box assign them a non-standard
>> account type/membership
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained
>> his trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you
>> will come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after
>> all." Sherlock Holmes

Not a problem and thanks for letting us know it worked.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
!