XP Pro User Accounts

Hi,

I just installed (clean) XP Pro and set up some user accounts. I'm familiar
with Win2K and thought that XP would be similar with regard to user
accounts, but it appears that's not true. When I go to user accounts, I
only see limited user and administrator accounts. How can I set someone to
power user or in between admin and user?

Thanks.

Robert
4 answers Last reply
More about user accounts

    In news:L6CdnfGBJ4MQy7XeRVn-jw@adelphia.com,
    Mr. Newt <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> had this to say:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just installed (clean) XP Pro and set up some user accounts. I'm
    > familiar with Win2K and thought that XP would be similar with regard
    > to user accounts, but it appears that's not true. When I go to user
    > accounts, I only see limited user and administrator accounts. How
    > can I set someone to power user or in between admin and user?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Robert

    Well, that's not as easy as one might hope. Fortunately, for Pro, the Power
    User account was left in place but that's mostly for legacy reasons going
    back to the NT days.

    Start > run > type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes and hit enter
    Highlight the account, click properties, and click on the Group Membership
    tab
    Tick Other and in the drop down box assign them a non-standard account
    type/membership

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

    Thanks. Did the trick! =)

    Mr. Newt wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just installed (clean) XP Pro and set up some user accounts. I'm familiar
    > with Win2K and thought that XP would be similar with regard to user
    > accounts, but it appears that's not true. When I go to user accounts, I
    > only see limited user and administrator accounts. How can I set someone to
    > power user or in between admin and user?

    Easily done. Right-click My Computer > Manage > Users and Local
    Groups.....

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    In news:HbidnVPdKKePHbXeRVn-tg@adelphia.com,
    Mr. Newt <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> had this to say:

    > Thanks. Did the trick! =)
    > "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> In news:L6CdnfGBJ4MQy7XeRVn-jw@adelphia.com,
    >> Mr. Newt <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> had this to say:

    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I just installed (clean) XP Pro and set up some user accounts. I'm
    >>> familiar with Win2K and thought that XP would be similar with regard
    >>> to user accounts, but it appears that's not true. When I go to user
    >>> accounts, I only see limited user and administrator accounts. How
    >>> can I set someone to power user or in between admin and user?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Robert
    >>
    >> Well, that's not as easy as one might hope. Fortunately, for Pro, the
    >> Power User account was left in place but that's mostly for legacy
    >> reasons going back to the NT days.
    >>
    >> Start > run > type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes and
    >> hit enter
    >> Highlight the account, click properties, and click on the Group
    >> Membership tab
    >> Tick Other and in the drop down box assign them a non-standard
    >> account type/membership
    >>
    >> Galen
    >> --
    >>
    >> "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained
    >> his trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you
    >> will come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after
    >> all." Sherlock Holmes

    Not a problem and thanks for letting us know it worked.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes

Microsoft User Accounts Windows XP