Cannot Install New Fonts

I am unable to install new fonts successfully in Windows XP Pro. If I drag
the new font file into my Windows\Fonts folder, they are not available in any
programs. If I try to go thru Control Panel/Fonts, there is no "Install New
Font" option available.

I have tried the suggestions in "Missing Menu Commands in the Fonts Folder"
article ID# 133725, but the Resolution is incomplete. I have completed step
1, setting the System attributes for the Fonts folder, but this does not fix
the problem. It is then suggested to try repairing the Fontext.dll and/or
the Desktop.ini files, but the Resolution does not provide directions on how
to do this in Windows XP.

I can still see all pre-existing fonts, both defaults and ones added by me
before this week. I just started having this problem and have no idea why.
Thanks in advance for your help!
--
SVP
3 answers Last reply

    You can download and install (run) TweakUI for WinXP,

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

    Run it (Start -- All programs -- Powertoys for Windows XP -- Tweak UI), select
    Repair -- Repair Fonts Folder -- Repair Now.

    Most likely that will help.

    --
    Mikhail Zhilin
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:30:09 -0700, "S" <S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I am unable to install new fonts successfully in Windows XP Pro. If I drag
    >the new font file into my Windows\Fonts folder, they are not available in any
    >programs. If I try to go thru Control Panel/Fonts, there is no "Install New
    >Font" option available.
    >
    >I have tried the suggestions in "Missing Menu Commands in the Fonts Folder"
    >article ID# 133725, but the Resolution is incomplete. I have completed step
    >1, setting the System attributes for the Fonts folder, but this does not fix
    >the problem. It is then suggested to try repairing the Fontext.dll and/or
    >the Desktop.ini files, but the Resolution does not provide directions on how
    >to do this in Windows XP.
    >
    >I can still see all pre-existing fonts, both defaults and ones added by me
    >before this week. I just started having this problem and have no idea why.
    >Thanks in advance for your help!

    This worked great. Tweak looks like a handy fellow. Thanks so much!
    --
    SVP

    "Mikhail Zhilin" wrote:

    > You can download and install (run) TweakUI for WinXP,
    >
    > http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe
    >
    > Run it (Start -- All programs -- Powertoys for Windows XP -- Tweak UI), select
    > Repair -- Repair Fonts Folder -- Repair Now.
    >
    > Most likely that will help.
    >
    > --
    > Mikhail Zhilin
    > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
    > Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
    > Please reply to the newsgroups only.
    > ======
    > On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:30:09 -0700, "S" <S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I am unable to install new fonts successfully in Windows XP Pro. If I drag
    > >the new font file into my Windows\Fonts folder, they are not available in any
    > >programs. If I try to go thru Control Panel/Fonts, there is no "Install New
    > >Font" option available.
    > >
    > >I have tried the suggestions in "Missing Menu Commands in the Fonts Folder"
    > >article ID# 133725, but the Resolution is incomplete. I have completed step
    > >1, setting the System attributes for the Fonts folder, but this does not fix
    > >the problem. It is then suggested to try repairing the Fontext.dll and/or
    > >the Desktop.ini files, but the Resolution does not provide directions on how
    > >to do this in Windows XP.
    > >
    > >I can still see all pre-existing fonts, both defaults and ones added by me
    > >before this week. I just started having this problem and have no idea why.
    > >Thanks in advance for your help!

  3. If unable to install fonts

    Don't do anything just click on the link below and download the utility and install & backup your fonts

    http://www.esnips.com/doc/8a4f9410-530e-4b96-9136-f0df09c0d2c9/fontinstalbackup

Windows XP