Cannot Install New Fonts

September 14, 2005 2:30:09 PM

I am unable to install new fonts successfully in Windows XP Pro. If I drag
the new font file into my Windows\Fonts folder, they are not available in any
programs. If I try to go thru Control Panel/Fonts, there is no "Install New
Font" option available.

I have tried the suggestions in "Missing Menu Commands in the Fonts Folder"
article ID# 133725, but the Resolution is incomplete. I have completed step
1, setting the System attributes for the Fonts folder, but this does not fix
the problem. It is then suggested to try repairing the Fontext.dll and/or
the Desktop.ini files, but the Resolution does not provide directions on how
to do this in Windows XP.

I can still see all pre-existing fonts, both defaults and ones added by me
before this week. I just started having this problem and have no idea why.
Thanks in advance for your help!
--
SVP

More about : install fonts

Anonymous
September 15, 2005 3:11:04 AM

You can download and install (run) TweakUI for WinXP,

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9...

Run it (Start -- All programs -- Powertoys for Windows XP -- Tweak UI), select
Repair -- Repair Fonts Folder -- Repair Now.

Most likely that will help.

--
Mikhail Zhilin
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:30:09 -0700, "S" <S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am unable to install new fonts successfully in Windows XP Pro. If I drag
>the new font file into my Windows\Fonts folder, they are not available in any
>programs. If I try to go thru Control Panel/Fonts, there is no "Install New
>Font" option available.
>
>I have tried the suggestions in "Missing Menu Commands in the Fonts Folder"
>article ID# 133725, but the Resolution is incomplete. I have completed step
>1, setting the System attributes for the Fonts folder, but this does not fix
>the problem. It is then suggested to try repairing the Fontext.dll and/or
>the Desktop.ini files, but the Resolution does not provide directions on how
>to do this in Windows XP.
>
>I can still see all pre-existing fonts, both defaults and ones added by me
>before this week. I just started having this problem and have no idea why.
>Thanks in advance for your help!
September 15, 2005 12:38:03 PM

This worked great. Tweak looks like a handy fellow. Thanks so much!
--
SVP

!