mn-740 with Dlink 624 and xbox Live

I purchased the mn-740 Xbox Wireless adapter, and the D
link 624 router, because both are on the microsoft site
as being Xbox Live Compatible. I have the newest
firmware running on the mn-740, and am running v2.42 on
the Dlink router (which is a bios that state is xbox live
compatible). The problem is that I get constant lag
whenever I try to play xbox live. I have tried changing
the transmit channels on the router, and lowering the
speed of the wireless connection, but i still get the
same problems. If I initiate a ping to my xbox, it seems
to time out at random intervels, and I'm assuming this is
what the lag is coming from. If I hardwire the xbox to
the router with a ethernet cable, everything works fine,
so its obviously an issue with the wireless network. I
also have a Gateway Centrino laptop with a 802.11b
wireless adapter in it. I do not ever recieve any
request timed outs when pinging that laptop through the
wireless connection, so this is pointing me to the MN-
740. How can I stop this from happening? I purchased
both these devices because of there compatibility, and I
don't want to run a wire into my front room, and make the
$100 i spend on the xbox wireless adapter worthless.
Please advise.
9 answers Last reply
More about dlink xbox live

    oh one other thing. For testing purposes, I have moved
    the xbox wireles adapter into the same room as the Dlink
    wireless router. They are about 5 feet apart, and this
    is still happening, nothing is blocking the signal
    between the two.

    jason miller

    I have let the ping test run for about 5 hours, and on
    average have found that the request timed out happens
    about every 2.5 minutes. This is really unacceptable to
    play xbox live with.

    jason

    Just for a quick test to see if it's the router or wireless problem try
    a direct connection to the router. If that still has lag then it's the
    router or your ISP. At that point I'd also check with the xbox
    connected directly to you broadband modem. If it still lags it is
    caused by your ISP.

    > oh one other thing. For testing purposes, I have moved
    > the xbox wireles adapter into the same room as the Dlink
    > wireless router. They are about 5 feet apart, and this
    > is still happening, nothing is blocking the signal
    > between the two.
    >
    > jason miller

    Are you running WPA encryption on the base station? The MN-740 won't do any
    more than WEP. Might check that.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    "Jason Miller" <jsin@pwly.com> wrote in message
    >I have let the ping test run for about 5 hours, and on
    > average have found that the request timed out happens
    > about every 2.5 minutes. This is really unacceptable to
    > play xbox live with.
    >

    > jason

    ya I had already tried that. Everything works fine when
    I do that, I know its not the ISP.

    Yes, I am aware the adapter only will do WEP (something
    i'm hoping will be changed in a firmware upgrade, though
    by the look of this board it doesn't seem like they are
    going to, even though the Box states they its upgradable
    to add security features in the future. Haven't seen any
    security features added yet)

    Yes,I have 128 bit WEP working. I don't have a problem
    connecting, i'm able to access xbox live, so the
    encryption must be working (unless encryption can cause
    some sort of lag that i am unaware of).

    Jason Miller

    Encryption will reduce the total amount of bandwidth with because 1 bit
    is not 128 bits long or something like that (I may be slightly off on my
    numbers).

    The only other question I have is what connection speed are you getting
    on the wireless connection?

    Jason Miller wrote:
    > Yes, I am aware the adapter only will do WEP (something
    > i'm hoping will be changed in a firmware upgrade, though
    > by the look of this board it doesn't seem like they are
    > going to, even though the Box states they its upgradable
    > to add security features in the future. Haven't seen any
    > security features added yet)
    >
    > Yes,I have 128 bit WEP working. I don't have a problem
    > connecting, i'm able to access xbox live, so the
    > encryption must be working (unless encryption can cause
    > some sort of lag that i am unaware of).
    >

    > Jason Miller

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    When I set the router to auto, the xbox reports 54mb

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Also remember that Ethernet speeds are supposed to be measured in bits
    per second or bps.

    If the number becomes to large you can divided it by 1024 to go up to
    kbps & again divided that number by 1024 to get Mbps so that the number
    is smaller & thus easier to deal with.

    That is total bandwidth (referring to the 54 Mbps).

    The encryption along with other TCP/IP data will reduce the total usable
    bandwidth.

    I also meant to say that 1 bit will now be about 128 bits long.

    If you take a device running at the following speed 56,623,104 bps,
    55,296 kbps or 54 Mbps & divide that by 128 (enable 128-bit WEP
    encryption) the resultant speed is 442,368 bps, 432 kbps, or 0.42,187,5
    Mbps & that is only including the use of bandwidth for encryption.

    You will also have bandwidth used up by the wireless connection as well
    as other TCP/IP related data.

    Although most of the wireless data is not encrypted (that is to say the
    SSID, wireless channel, and information that says which wireless network
    it is going to).

Routers Xbox Live Networking