mn-740 with Dlink 624 and xbox Live

Last response: in Networking
September 3, 2004 4:52:06 PM

I purchased the mn-740 Xbox Wireless adapter, and the D
link 624 router, because both are on the microsoft site
as being Xbox Live Compatible. I have the newest
firmware running on the mn-740, and am running v2.42 on
the Dlink router (which is a bios that state is xbox live
compatible). The problem is that I get constant lag
whenever I try to play xbox live. I have tried changing
the transmit channels on the router, and lowering the
speed of the wireless connection, but i still get the
same problems. If I initiate a ping to my xbox, it seems
to time out at random intervels, and I'm assuming this is
what the lag is coming from. If I hardwire the xbox to
the router with a ethernet cable, everything works fine,
so its obviously an issue with the wireless network. I
also have a Gateway Centrino laptop with a 802.11b
wireless adapter in it. I do not ever recieve any
request timed outs when pinging that laptop through the
wireless connection, so this is pointing me to the MN-
740. How can I stop this from happening? I purchased
both these devices because of there compatibility, and I
don't want to run a wire into my front room, and make the
$100 i spend on the xbox wireless adapter worthless.
Please advise.
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 4:59:01 PM

oh one other thing. For testing purposes, I have moved
the xbox wireles adapter into the same room as the Dlink
wireless router. They are about 5 feet apart, and this
is still happening, nothing is blocking the signal
between the two.

jason miller

Anonymous
September 3, 2004 9:23:40 PM

I have let the ping test run for about 5 hours, and on
average have found that the request timed out happens
about every 2.5 minutes. This is really unacceptable to
play xbox live with.

jason

Related resources
September 3, 2004 10:15:01 PM

Just for a quick test to see if it's the router or wireless problem try
a direct connection to the router. If that still has lag then it's the
router or your ISP. At that point I'd also check with the xbox
connected directly to you broadband modem. If it still lags it is
caused by your ISP.

> oh one other thing. For testing purposes, I have moved
> the xbox wireles adapter into the same room as the Dlink
> wireless router. They are about 5 feet apart, and this
> is still happening, nothing is blocking the signal
> between the two.
>
> jason miller

Anonymous
September 3, 2004 11:07:46 PM

Are you running WPA encryption on the base station? The MN-740 won't do any
more than WEP. Might check that.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"Jason Miller" <jsin@pwly.com> wrote in message
>I have let the ping test run for about 5 hours, and on
> average have found that the request timed out happens
> about every 2.5 minutes. This is really unacceptable to
> play xbox live with.
>

> jason

Anonymous
September 3, 2004 11:27:08 PM

"If I hardwire the xbox to
the router with a ethernet cable, everything works fine"

ya I had already tried that. Everything works fine when
I do that, I know its not the ISP.

Anonymous
September 3, 2004 11:29:27 PM

Yes, I am aware the adapter only will do WEP (something
i'm hoping will be changed in a firmware upgrade, though
by the look of this board it doesn't seem like they are
going to, even though the Box states they its upgradable
to add security features in the future. Haven't seen any
security features added yet)

Yes,I have 128 bit WEP working. I don't have a problem
connecting, i'm able to access xbox live, so the
encryption must be working (unless encryption can cause
some sort of lag that i am unaware of).

Jason Miller

September 4, 2004 12:35:41 AM

Encryption will reduce the total amount of bandwidth with because 1 bit
is not 128 bits long or something like that (I may be slightly off on my
numbers).

The only other question I have is what connection speed are you getting
on the wireless connection?

Jason Miller wrote:
> Yes, I am aware the adapter only will do WEP (something
> i'm hoping will be changed in a firmware upgrade, though
> by the look of this board it doesn't seem like they are
> going to, even though the Box states they its upgradable
> to add security features in the future. Haven't seen any
> security features added yet)
>
> Yes,I have 128 bit WEP working. I don't have a problem
> connecting, i'm able to access xbox live, so the
> encryption must be working (unless encryption can cause
> some sort of lag that i am unaware of).
>

> Jason Miller

Anonymous
September 6, 2004 7:49:57 PM

When I set the router to auto, the xbox reports 54mb

September 6, 2004 10:19:17 PM

Also remember that Ethernet speeds are supposed to be measured in bits
per second or bps.

If the number becomes to large you can divided it by 1024 to go up to
kbps & again divided that number by 1024 to get Mbps so that the number
is smaller & thus easier to deal with.

That is total bandwidth (referring to the 54 Mbps).

The encryption along with other TCP/IP data will reduce the total usable
bandwidth.

I also meant to say that 1 bit will now be about 128 bits long.

If you take a device running at the following speed 56,623,104 bps,
55,296 kbps or 54 Mbps & divide that by 128 (enable 128-bit WEP
encryption) the resultant speed is 442,368 bps, 432 kbps, or 0.42,187,5
Mbps & that is only including the use of bandwidth for encryption.

You will also have bandwidth used up by the wireless connection as well
as other TCP/IP related data.

Although most of the wireless data is not encrypted (that is to say the
SSID, wireless channel, and information that says which wireless network
it is going to).

!