Sign in with
Your question

Can i use a windows 7 upgrade on a built pc?

Last response: in Windows 7
April 14, 2010 3:29:12 AM

my local store sells OEM with certain requirements so will it work with a upgrade?

More about : windows upgrade built

a c 215 $ Windows 7
April 14, 2010 3:35:17 AM

Should work fine. Just make sure you own a previous version of Windows before you buy an upgrade copy. OEM copies are cheaper though... and I'm curious as to what these "requirements" are exactly...?
m
l
April 14, 2010 7:39:17 AM

well i live in the AUS so e.g i must buy this with that and this. (CPU + Motherboard + HDD) something like that
well i just built a pc so does that mean i need to buy a full version then? because i don't own any previous versions of windows. Its just a brand new PC i just built with no OS. So does that mean i can't use a upgrade
m
l
Related resources
a c 215 $ Windows 7
April 14, 2010 11:56:31 AM

Yes. You will have to buy either an OEM version, or the full retail version.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 14, 2010 12:26:25 PM

Do you have a legit copy of a previous version of windows (XP or Vista)? If so, then you can use the upgrade version. Otherwise, you'll have to get the OEM or retail full version.

If you get the OEM, you will have to decide whether you want to get the 32-bit or 64-bit version. With the retail releases (upgrade or full), you get both but the OEM is one or the other.
m
l
April 15, 2010 4:13:14 AM

so the upgrade is only for the previous versions of windows? i thought i could run a clean install on my new hard drive
m
l
April 15, 2010 5:06:34 AM

The clean install only works if you had a legit version of windows before.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 15, 2010 12:33:01 PM

Alph4kil1 said:
so the upgrade is only for the previous versions of windows? i thought i could run a clean install on my new hard drive

Well, technically with the upgrade version, you have to have a previous copy of XP or Vista installed and it has to be activated. However, there are work arounds so that you can do a clean install of Windows 7 without having to install XP or Vista first.

However, if you purchase the upgrade version of Windows 7 and you do NOT have a previous, legit copy of XP or Vista, then you are violating the license agreement because when you purchase the Upgrade version, you are stating that you already have a previous license from a previous copy of XP or Vista. So, in effect what you are doing is you are transferring the XP or Vista license to Windows 7. This makes the copy of XP or Vista no longer legitimate and means you are not allowed to install it on another machine. The key for XP or Vista is invalidated so it will no longer activate, or at least, that is what's supposed to happen.

So, in simple English, if you purchase the upgrade version of Windows 7 and you do not have a legit copy of XP or Vista, you are illegally installing and using Windows 7.

m
l
!