songoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Since there is not place for pda questions I will post mine here.

I have been researching pda’s for a while now. I want a pda that can play video (divx, xvid) and mp3s. So far the only pda that I found that can do that with out dropping frames is the Asus Mypal a620.

My questions are –
Does anyone have this pda? if so what is your opinion of it?
Does anyone recommend another pda?
This pda has a cf type 2 slot. Are their different speeds for memory? How much does it cost? What else can it be used for?

Supporting AMD with your breakable stuff.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by songoku on 03/27/04 03:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
We have two in our household (PDAs) zire something or other couple hundred dollar one and some other 800 sony one.
I think they are fairly useless, but you most likely have a need. You should check out that cell phone that's a PDA can play MP3's, i'm not sure about Divx shite or whatnot.
If i was going to give in and buy a cell phone, that'd be it, just becuase it has everything a PDA has and it's a phone. ^^

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=277124623" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=277124623</A>
46,510 , movin on up. 48k new goal. Maybe not.. :/

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
It may be a bit too late now but here it goes..

I would recommend the a716 (and not because I just ordered it) because it has bluetooth and 802.11b wireless networking. I don't know if you need the wireless network but hotspots are beginning to pop up around the country for it and you can always get a wireless network in your home. The battery is also large in it at 1500mAh, and you can also order the 3000mAh battery if you want prolong use of video.

There are two different types of CF slots, I and II. A CFI card can operate in a CFI and CFII slot but a CFII can only operate in a CFII slot. So you are good either way. The reasons is because CFI cards are 3.3mm thick and CFII cards are 5mm thick.

The Compact flash slot can be used for a bunch of things, flash memory, gps, camera, wireless antennas, ethernet port, modem port and some others. Out of all the standards, CF is the cheapest per megabyte. 256mb is around 60 dollars and 512 is around 130. Compared to SD, they run 80 dollars for 256mb and 170 for 512mb.

-----------------------
[mind went blank]

songoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
I was going to get the a716 but with the reviews that I read their screen isn’t as good as the a620 and they have problems. In the pocketmaxtrix forum there are tons of people that bought the a716 and have had dead pixels and wavy/flashing screens and their batteries dieing on them. However I haven’t heard anything negative on the a620 so far. I could have went with the a620bt version which comes with bluetooth, but I don’t have anything that uses it currently and the fact that it is not worth the extra $70.

Reliability over Functionality

Supporting AMD with your breakable stuff.