XP Pro and Hyperthreading

We recently got two new PCs (P4, Intel 865, FX5200 dual monitor, XP Pro) for
software development. After loading VS2003 and our project's code on the new
machines, we noticed several performance problems with the VS IDE and with
our application. Our app., which worked fine on our older, slower P4 running
Win2K, runs extremely slow on the new PC, 5-15 seconds to react to mouse
clicks, even longer to redraw the main window after resizing, etc. The VS
IDE just seems to bog down at times. This happens on both new PCs.

After much wondering and head scratching, we disabled hyperthreading in the
BIOS and everything worked fine.

As near as we can tell, the OS is detects when hyperthreading is enabled
(two processors shown in Device Manager), but our app just doesn't seem to
run right unless the hyperthreading is disable. BTW, the app seems to run
OK on a PC with HT and XP Home.

Google and MSDN search didn't turn up anything. We need to find a solution
so our customers on XP don't have to change their BIOS to run our software.
Anybody run into anything like this? Any suggestions?

Steve
7 answers Last reply
More about hyperthreading

    Are both the PRo and Home all running the same service pack and have all the
    updates to XP been applied? Did you install the chipset drivers and if it
    is an Intel Chipset, you need the Intel Application Accerlerator software
    installed.

    "Steve" <noonea@home> wrote in message
    > We recently got two new PCs (P4, Intel 865, FX5200 dual monitor, XP Pro)
    > for software development. After loading VS2003 and our project's code on
    > the new machines, we noticed several performance problems with the VS IDE
    > and with our application. Our app., which worked fine on our older, slower
    > P4 running Win2K, runs extremely slow on the new PC, 5-15 seconds to
    > react to mouse clicks, even longer to redraw the main window after
    > resizing, etc. The VS IDE just seems to bog down at times. This happens
    > on both new PCs.
    >
    > After much wondering and head scratching, we disabled hyperthreading in
    > the BIOS and everything worked fine.
    >
    > As near as we can tell, the OS is detects when hyperthreading is enabled
    > (two processors shown in Device Manager), but our app just doesn't seem to
    > run right unless the hyperthreading is disable. BTW, the app seems to run
    > OK on a PC with HT and XP Home.
    >
    > Google and MSDN search didn't turn up anything. We need to find a
    > solution so our customers on XP don't have to change their BIOS to run our
    > software. Anybody run into anything like this? Any suggestions?
    >
    > Steve

    I would also make sure that the PC driver is "ACPI Multiprocessor PC"

    "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Are both the PRo and Home all running the same service pack and have all
    > the updates to XP been applied? Did you install the chipset drivers and
    > if it is an Intel Chipset, you need the Intel Application Accerlerator
    > software installed.
    >

    > "Steve" <noonea@home> wrote in message
    >> We recently got two new PCs (P4, Intel 865, FX5200 dual monitor, XP Pro)
    >> for software development. After loading VS2003 and our project's code on
    >> the new machines, we noticed several performance problems with the VS IDE
    >> and with our application. Our app., which worked fine on our older,
    >> slower P4 running Win2K, runs extremely slow on the new PC, 5-15 seconds
    >> to react to mouse clicks, even longer to redraw the main window after
    >> resizing, etc. The VS IDE just seems to bog down at times. This happens
    >> on both new PCs.
    >>
    >> After much wondering and head scratching, we disabled hyperthreading in
    >> the BIOS and everything worked fine.
    >>
    >> As near as we can tell, the OS is detects when hyperthreading is enabled
    >> (two processors shown in Device Manager), but our app just doesn't seem
    >> to run right unless the hyperthreading is disable. BTW, the app seems to
    >> run OK on a PC with HT and XP Home.
    >>
    >> Google and MSDN search didn't turn up anything. We need to find a
    >> solution so our customers on XP don't have to change their BIOS to run
    >> our software. Anybody run into anything like this? Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Steve

    Yes, both are running SP2 and both used Intel chipsets. From what I can
    determine from info on Intel's web site, the correct chipset drivers are
    loaded. There is a new verison available, but according to the release
    notes, it doesn't seem to be related. Probably wouldn't hurt to get the
    newer version, though. Hadn't run across the APplication Accelerator yet.
    I'll look around for it.

    Steve

    > Yes, both are running SP2 and both used Intel chipsets. From what I can
    > determine from info on Intel's web site, the correct chipset drivers are
    > loaded. There is a new verison available, but according to the release
    > notes, it doesn't seem to be related. Probably wouldn't hurt to get the
    > newer version, though. Hadn't run across the APplication Accelerator yet.
    > I'll look around for it.

    You should NOT need to install IAA.

    You should NOT require your customers to install it
    to get your app to run either. That's bad form.

    After you've complied your code, do you still have the
    performance probs OUTSIDE of the IDE?

    > Steve
    >
    > "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > > Are both the PRo and Home all running the same service pack and have all
    > > the updates to XP been applied? Did you install the chipset drivers and
    > > if it is an Intel Chipset, you need the Intel Application Accerlerator
    > > software installed.
    > >

    > > "Steve" <noonea@home> wrote in message
    > >> We recently got two new PCs (P4, Intel 865, FX5200 dual monitor, XP
    Pro)
    > >> for software development. After loading VS2003 and our project's code
    on
    > >> the new machines, we noticed several performance problems with the VS
    IDE
    > >> and with our application. Our app., which worked fine on our older,
    > >> slower P4 running Win2K, runs extremely slow on the new PC, 5-15
    seconds
    > >> to react to mouse clicks, even longer to redraw the main window after
    > >> resizing, etc. The VS IDE just seems to bog down at times. This
    happens
    > >> on both new PCs.
    > >>
    > >> After much wondering and head scratching, we disabled hyperthreading
    in
    > >> the BIOS and everything worked fine.
    > >>
    > >> As near as we can tell, the OS is detects when hyperthreading is
    enabled
    > >> (two processors shown in Device Manager), but our app just doesn't seem
    > >> to run right unless the hyperthreading is disable. BTW, the app seems
    > >> run OK on a PC with HT and XP Home.
    > >>
    > >> Google and MSDN search didn't turn up anything. We need to find a
    > >> solution so our customers on XP don't have to change their BIOS to run
    > >> our software. Anybody run into anything like this? Any suggestions?
    > >>
    > >> Steve

    I agree we shouldn't need IAA.

    We compiled a release version of our application and when run outside the
    IDE it still runs VERY slow: mouse clicks, window resizing, repaints take
    literally minutes to complete. Seems to almost hang the system: Task Manager
    is not updated during this dead time; cannot click on Task Bar, etc.

    We tried running things using the on board video adaptor but got the same
    poor performance.

    This is all very puzzling since the application seems to run OK on my PC at
    home which has a P4 on an Intel 915 motherboard with hyperthreading enabled,
    running XP Home.

    Just a wild thought but is there any way from the application level to turn
    off or ignore the hyperthreading?

    "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message

    > "Steve" <noonea@home> wrote in message
    > > Yes, both are running SP2 and both used Intel chipsets. From what I
    can
    > > determine from info on Intel's web site, the correct chipset drivers are
    > > loaded. There is a new verison available, but according to the release
    > > notes, it doesn't seem to be related. Probably wouldn't hurt to get the
    > > newer version, though. Hadn't run across the APplication Accelerator
    yet.
    > > I'll look around for it.
    > >

    > You should NOT need to install IAA.
    >
    > You should NOT require your customers to install it
    > to get your app to run either. That's bad form.
    >
    > After you've complied your code, do you still have the
    > performance probs OUTSIDE of the IDE?
    >

    > > Steve
    > >
    > > "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > > > Are both the PRo and Home all running the same service pack and have
    all
    > > > the updates to XP been applied? Did you install the chipset drivers
    and
    > > > if it is an Intel Chipset, you need the Intel Application Accerlerator
    > > > software installed.
    > > >

    > > > "Steve" <noonea@home> wrote in message
    > Pro)
    > on
    > IDE
    > seconds
    > happens

    > in

    > enabled

    sounds very much like a contention issue. are you using any mutex's in
    your code?; is your code multithreaded at all? don't forget about threads
    that the runtime may create on your behalf. how about dll's, and the
    dll_init() logic, did you review that for concurrency issues?
    strategic use of yeild() can often resolve these issues.

    the only real hyperthreading API you can access in your app is the
    set_process_affinity(), which shouldn't really affect anything.

    time for some major debugging! been there, done that! when you finially
    discover it, it'll be so obvious you'll kick yourself...

    Good Luck...

    <frodo@theshire.org> wrote in message
    > sounds very much like a contention issue. are you using any mutex's in
    > your code?; is your code multithreaded at all? don't forget about threads
    > that the runtime may create on your behalf. how about dll's, and the
    > dll_init() logic, did you review that for concurrency issues?
    > strategic use of yeild() can often resolve these issues.
    >
    > the only real hyperthreading API you can access in your app is the
    > set_process_affinity(), which shouldn't really affect anything.
    >
    > time for some major debugging! been there, done that! when you finially
    > discover it, it'll be so obvious you'll kick yourself...
    >
    > Good Luck...

    Completely agree.

    While I don't do it for a living, and keep
    stuff pretty simple, I have written a few small
    apps for myself with VS and they don't misbehave
    on my ASUS PC-DL (dual Xeon) system...

Windows XP