changing resolution

recently i took my computer to a friend, and also a techie, to have it
"cleaned", i know he went into the system registry, and msconfig. It all
works fine, and runs great, but i just started to notice a few oddities. my
touchpad no longer functions as a scroll bar when i drag my finger down the
right side, which i do not mind so much for i often use a usb mouse. but the
one i cannot stand is when i change my screen resolution (it was as large as
it would go when i got it worked on), or when i play a game that uses a
different resolution, i get a large black band around the outside of the
screen, as though the screen doesnt fit the monitor anymore.

any help, or anything i can do to clear up my problem (or question if you
need more information) would be greatly appriciated.

p.s. i am using a laptop, so i do not have anyway of adjusting the screen
size.

thanks alot, -drew
9 answers Last reply
More about changing resolution

    Sounds like your friend needs to put the necessary drivers back on (read
    reinstall drivers) it for you so the system is correct. It's not like it
    used to be, so some necessary registry entries went out the door in the
    "cleaning".

    drew wrote:

    > recently i took my computer to a friend, and also a techie, to have it
    > "cleaned", i know he went into the system registry, and msconfig. It all
    > works fine, and runs great, but i just started to notice a few oddities. my
    > touchpad no longer functions as a scroll bar when i drag my finger down the
    > right side, which i do not mind so much for i often use a usb mouse. but the
    > one i cannot stand is when i change my screen resolution (it was as large as
    > it would go when i got it worked on), or when i play a game that uses a
    > different resolution, i get a large black band around the outside of the
    > screen, as though the screen doesnt fit the monitor anymore.
    >
    > any help, or anything i can do to clear up my problem (or question if you
    > need more information) would be greatly appriciated.
    >
    > p.s. i am using a laptop, so i do not have anyway of adjusting the screen
    > size.
    >
    > thanks alot, -drew

    is there any way i can do this on my own? my friend and i wont see each other
    for a month. i dont know what drivers they were, any good guesses as to what
    they would be? or can i roll them back? i am using windows xp...

    "Bob I" wrote:

    > Sounds like your friend needs to put the necessary drivers back on (read
    > reinstall drivers) it for you so the system is correct. It's not like it
    > used to be, so some necessary registry entries went out the door in the
    > "cleaning".
    >
    > drew wrote:
    >
    > > recently i took my computer to a friend, and also a techie, to have it
    > > "cleaned", i know he went into the system registry, and msconfig. It all
    > > works fine, and runs great, but i just started to notice a few oddities. my
    > > touchpad no longer functions as a scroll bar when i drag my finger down the
    > > right side, which i do not mind so much for i often use a usb mouse. but the
    > > one i cannot stand is when i change my screen resolution (it was as large as
    > > it would go when i got it worked on), or when i play a game that uses a
    > > different resolution, i get a large black band around the outside of the
    > > screen, as though the screen doesnt fit the monitor anymore.
    > >
    > > any help, or anything i can do to clear up my problem (or question if you
    > > need more information) would be greatly appriciated.
    > >
    > > p.s. i am using a laptop, so i do not have anyway of adjusting the screen
    > > size.
    > >
    > > thanks alot, -drew

    You're speaking of Screen resolution. It's a simple task to adjust.
    Right Click an empty area of the desktop, Left click Properties.
    When the Display properties appear Click the Settings (TAB).
    You'll see a Screen Resolution slider. Just move the slide until the
    resolution parameters increase ( 1024 x 768 ) or higher. Click
    the Apply button. The sizing change will occur and ask if you wish
    to keep it at it's new value.

    "drew" <drew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > recently i took my computer to a friend, and also a techie, to have it
    > "cleaned", i know he went into the system registry, and msconfig. It all
    > works fine, and runs great, but i just started to notice a few oddities.
    > my
    > touchpad no longer functions as a scroll bar when i drag my finger down
    > the
    > right side, which i do not mind so much for i often use a usb mouse. but
    > the
    > one i cannot stand is when i change my screen resolution (it was as large
    > as
    > it would go when i got it worked on), or when i play a game that uses a
    > different resolution, i get a large black band around the outside of the
    > screen, as though the screen doesnt fit the monitor anymore.
    >
    > any help, or anything i can do to clear up my problem (or question if you
    > need more information) would be greatly appriciated.
    >
    > p.s. i am using a laptop, so i do not have anyway of adjusting the screen
    > size.
    >
    > thanks alot, -drew

    but you see, when i adjust it, it leaves a black band around my screen (where
    there is no picture on the monitor) it never used to do this, and i would
    like to change something to where it didnt do it now! its frustrating!

    thanks!
    -drew

    "R. McCarty" wrote:

    > You're speaking of Screen resolution. It's a simple task to adjust.
    > Right Click an empty area of the desktop, Left click Properties.
    > When the Display properties appear Click the Settings (TAB).
    > You'll see a Screen Resolution slider. Just move the slide until the
    > resolution parameters increase ( 1024 x 768 ) or higher. Click
    > the Apply button. The sizing change will occur and ask if you wish
    > to keep it at it's new value.
    >
    > "drew" <drew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > recently i took my computer to a friend, and also a techie, to have it
    > > "cleaned", i know he went into the system registry, and msconfig. It all
    > > works fine, and runs great, but i just started to notice a few oddities.
    > > my
    > > touchpad no longer functions as a scroll bar when i drag my finger down
    > > the
    > > right side, which i do not mind so much for i often use a usb mouse. but
    > > the
    > > one i cannot stand is when i change my screen resolution (it was as large
    > > as
    > > it would go when i got it worked on), or when i play a game that uses a
    > > different resolution, i get a large black band around the outside of the
    > > screen, as though the screen doesnt fit the monitor anymore.
    > >
    > > any help, or anything i can do to clear up my problem (or question if you
    > > need more information) would be greatly appriciated.
    > >
    > > p.s. i am using a laptop, so i do not have anyway of adjusting the screen
    > > size.
    > >
    > > thanks alot, -drew

    Is this a notebook PC ?, if so then a BIOS setting for screen expansion
    was set incorrectly. This can cause the banding effect.

    > but you see, when i adjust it, it leaves a black band around my screen
    > (where
    > there is no picture on the monitor) it never used to do this, and i would
    > like to change something to where it didnt do it now! its frustrating!
    >
    > thanks!
    > -drew
    >
    > "R. McCarty" wrote:
    >
    >> You're speaking of Screen resolution. It's a simple task to adjust.
    >> Right Click an empty area of the desktop, Left click Properties.
    >> When the Display properties appear Click the Settings (TAB).
    >> You'll see a Screen Resolution slider. Just move the slide until the
    >> resolution parameters increase ( 1024 x 768 ) or higher. Click
    >> the Apply button. The sizing change will occur and ask if you wish
    >> to keep it at it's new value.
    >>
    >> "drew" <drew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > recently i took my computer to a friend, and also a techie, to have it
    >> > "cleaned", i know he went into the system registry, and msconfig. It
    >> > all
    >> > works fine, and runs great, but i just started to notice a few
    >> > oddities.
    >> > my
    >> > touchpad no longer functions as a scroll bar when i drag my finger down
    >> > the
    >> > right side, which i do not mind so much for i often use a usb mouse.
    >> > but
    >> > the
    >> > one i cannot stand is when i change my screen resolution (it was as
    >> > large
    >> > as
    >> > it would go when i got it worked on), or when i play a game that uses a
    >> > different resolution, i get a large black band around the outside of
    >> > the
    >> > screen, as though the screen doesnt fit the monitor anymore.
    >> >
    >> > any help, or anything i can do to clear up my problem (or question if
    >> > you
    >> > need more information) would be greatly appriciated.
    >> >
    >> > p.s. i am using a laptop, so i do not have anyway of adjusting the
    >> > screen
    >> > size.
    >> >
    >> > thanks alot, -drew

    The drivers should be available on the website of the laptop
    manufacturer. You will need to verifiy the model and such and then you
    should be able to download them. Your friend having "cleaned" the
    registry may have been the cause of the issue. But hopefully a reinstall
    of the drivers will put it right.

    drew wrote:

    > is there any way i can do this on my own? my friend and i wont see each other
    > for a month. i dont know what drivers they were, any good guesses as to what
    > they would be? or can i roll them back? i am using windows xp...
    >
    > "Bob I" wrote:
    >

    >>Sounds like your friend needs to put the necessary drivers back on (read
    >>reinstall drivers) it for you so the system is correct. It's not like it
    >>used to be, so some necessary registry entries went out the door in the
    >>"cleaning".
    >>
    >>drew wrote:
    >>

    >>>recently i took my computer to a friend, and also a techie, to have it
    >>>"cleaned", i know he went into the system registry, and msconfig. It all
    >>>works fine, and runs great, but i just started to notice a few oddities. my
    >>>touchpad no longer functions as a scroll bar when i drag my finger down the
    >>>right side, which i do not mind so much for i often use a usb mouse. but the
    >>>one i cannot stand is when i change my screen resolution (it was as large as
    >>>it would go when i got it worked on), or when i play a game that uses a
    >>>different resolution, i get a large black band around the outside of the
    >>>screen, as though the screen doesnt fit the monitor anymore.
    >>>
    >>>any help, or anything i can do to clear up my problem (or question if you
    >>>need more information) would be greatly appriciated.
    >>>
    >>>p.s. i am using a laptop, so i do not have anyway of adjusting the screen
    >>>size.
    >>>
    >>>thanks alot, -drew

    allright! thanks bob, those drivers got my touchpad back, i downloaded and
    ran the monitor drivers but they didnt seem to effect my screen, i tried
    emailing you, but i guess that isnt a real adress, if anyone can help, it
    would be much appriciated,

    my problem, when i make my resolution smaller (its currently 1280 x 800,
    widescreen) i get left with little black bands around the screen (if i make
    it 800x600 i get a box using about half the monitor in the center of the
    screen, about 1 inch black on top and bottom, and 2 inches on either side) it
    never did it before i took it to my friend, and i reinstalled the drivers,
    but i think im missing a program, or something, any help on this?

    thanks alot bob 1 and anyone else.

    -drew

    "Bob I" wrote:

    > The drivers should be available on the website of the laptop
    > manufacturer. You will need to verifiy the model and such and then you
    > should be able to download them. Your friend having "cleaned" the
    > registry may have been the cause of the issue. But hopefully a reinstall
    > of the drivers will put it right.
    >
    > drew wrote:
    >
    > > is there any way i can do this on my own? my friend and i wont see each other
    > > for a month. i dont know what drivers they were, any good guesses as to what
    > > they would be? or can i roll them back? i am using windows xp...
    > >
    > > "Bob I" wrote:
    > >

    > >>Sounds like your friend needs to put the necessary drivers back on (read
    > >>reinstall drivers) it for you so the system is correct. It's not like it
    > >>used to be, so some necessary registry entries went out the door in the

    On desktop PCs there r adjustments on front of monitor & in
    vcard driver to entend & shift the illuminated area. I
    suspect these exxist 4 laptops too.

    HTH-Larry

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:29:53 -0700, "drew"
    <drew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >allright! thanks bob, those drivers got my touchpad back, i downloaded and
    >ran the monitor drivers but they didnt seem to effect my screen, i tried
    >emailing you, but i guess that isnt a real adress, if anyone can help, it
    >would be much appriciated,
    >
    >my problem, when i make my resolution smaller (its currently 1280 x 800,
    >widescreen) i get left with little black bands around the screen (if i make
    >it 800x600 i get a box using about half the monitor in the center of the
    >screen, about 1 inch black on top and bottom, and 2 inches on either side) it
    >never did it before i took it to my friend, and i reinstalled the drivers,
    >but i think im missing a program, or something, any help on this?
    >
    >thanks alot bob 1 and anyone else.
    >
    >-drew
    >
    >"Bob I" wrote:
    >
    >> The drivers should be available on the website of the laptop
    >> manufacturer. You will need to verifiy the model and such and then you
    >> should be able to download them. Your friend having "cleaned" the
    >> registry may have been the cause of the issue. But hopefully a reinstall
    >> of the drivers will put it right.
    >>
    >> drew wrote:
    >>
    >> > is there any way i can do this on my own? my friend and i wont see each other
    >> > for a month. i dont know what drivers they were, any good guesses as to what
    >> > they would be? or can i roll them back? i am using windows xp...

    Any advise given is my attempt to show appreciation for all
    the excellent help I've received here but I'm no MVP so it
    may only apply NUGS (Normally, Usually, Generally, Sometimes :)

    No the Spammers blew that account away years ago so I abandoned it. You
    also need the graphics adapter drivers. You may also want to have a tech
    at the site help you with the settings. Normally the correct adapter
    driver and monitor inf file will take care of "stretching" the
    resolution to fill the laptop screen.

Windows XP