Closed

No sound from Laptop built in speakers

a b D Laptop
September 14, 2005 4:41:04 PM

I get no sound or audio (including system sounds and beeps) from my laptop's
builtin speaker. Sounds work through headphones. I conceed that I may have a
hardware problem (like a blown speaker) but I don't have a good way to test
this.
I'm running XP Home/SP-2. Device manager shows all devices working, and no
(!) conflict flags. Everything is as updated as I can get from both MS Update
and Toshiba.

I uninstalled/reinstalled the built in sound card in Device Manager.

Nothing is Muted in Microsoft Master Volume Application. I have seen
references to an Advanced button under the Master Volume slider, but I don't
have this, whether File/Advanced options is checked or unchecked.

TweakUI has beep turned on.

I've been to Kelly's Korner (usually my first stop) and have downloaded the
relevant FAQ files and even the "ding repair" tool.

I think that somewhere, something is muting the sound in a way I can't
identify.

Any help would be appreciated.
--
Jeff Cranford
Anonymous

Jeff Cranford wrote:
> I get no sound or audio (including system sounds and beeps) from my laptop's
> builtin speaker. Sounds work through headphones. I conceed that I may have a
> hardware problem (like a blown speaker) but I don't have a good way to test
> this.
> I'm running XP Home/SP-2. Device manager shows all devices working, and no
> (!) conflict flags. Everything is as updated as I can get from both MS Update
> and Toshiba.
>
> I uninstalled/reinstalled the built in sound card in Device Manager.
>
> Nothing is Muted in Microsoft Master Volume Application. I have seen
> references to an Advanced button under the Master Volume slider, but I don't
> have this, whether File/Advanced options is checked or unchecked.
>
> TweakUI has beep turned on.
>
> I've been to Kelly's Korner (usually my first stop) and have downloaded the
> relevant FAQ files and even the "ding repair" tool.
>
> I think that somewhere, something is muting the sound in a way I can't
> identify.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

On some desktops the act of plugging a headphone or other device into
the front audio output jack literally disconnects the audio going to the
rear audio output. Something like plugging in the headset into an old
transistor radio if you are old enough to understand that reference.
Does (did) your laptop function that way or did it output to both the
headphone jack AND the speaker at the same time? If the headphone jack
did have a cutoff then your problem might be a physical flaw in the
headphone jack.

John McGaw
http://johmcgaw.com
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 15, 2005 9:15:04 AM

John;
I am old enough to understand the transistor radio reference. I had never
used headphone/external speakers prior to the discovery of this problem, so I
have no good way of knowing whether it's a "contact problem" within the
headphone jack. I suspect that it's a "mute" setting somewhere that I can't
easily find, but again, I don't know. Thanks for the response.
--
Jeff Cranford

"John McGaw" wrote:

> Jeff Cranford wrote:
> > I get no sound or audio (including system sounds and beeps) from my laptop's
> > builtin speaker. Sounds work through headphones. I conceed that I may have a
> > hardware problem (like a blown speaker) but I don't have a good way to test
> > this.
> > I'm running XP Home/SP-2. Device manager shows all devices working, and no
> > (!) conflict flags. Everything is as updated as I can get from both MS Update
> > and Toshiba.
> >
> > I uninstalled/reinstalled the built in sound card in Device Manager.
> >
> > Nothing is Muted in Microsoft Master Volume Application. I have seen
> > references to an Advanced button under the Master Volume slider, but I don't
> > have this, whether File/Advanced options is checked or unchecked.
> >
> > TweakUI has beep turned on.
> >
> > I've been to Kelly's Korner (usually my first stop) and have downloaded the
> > relevant FAQ files and even the "ding repair" tool.
> >
> > I think that somewhere, something is muting the sound in a way I can't
> > identify.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
>
> On some desktops the act of plugging a headphone or other device into
> the front audio output jack literally disconnects the audio going to the
> rear audio output. Something like plugging in the headset into an old
> transistor radio if you are old enough to understand that reference.
> Does (did) your laptop function that way or did it output to both the
> headphone jack AND the speaker at the same time? If the headphone jack
> did have a cutoff then your problem might be a physical flaw in the
> headphone jack.
>
> John McGaw
> http://johmcgaw.com
> [Knoxville, TN, USA]

a b D Laptop
October 26, 2009 3:05:11 AM

Quote:

"John McGaw" wrote:

> Jeff Cranford wrote:
> > I get no sound or audio (including system sounds and beeps) from my laptop's
> > builtin speaker. Sounds work through headphones. I conceed that I may have a
> > hardware problem (like a blown speaker) but I don't have a good way to test
> > this.
> > I'm running XP Home/SP-2. Device manager shows all devices working, and no
> > (!) conflict flags. Everything is as updated as I can get from both MS Update
> > and Toshiba.
> >
> > I uninstalled/reinstalled the built in sound card in Device Manager.
> >
> > Nothing is Muted in Microsoft Master Volume Application. I have seen
> > references to an Advanced button under the Master Volume slider, but I don't
> > have this, whether File/Advanced options is checked or unchecked.
> >
> > TweakUI has beep turned on.
> >
> > I've been to Kelly's Korner (usually my first stop) and have downloaded the
> > relevant FAQ files and even the "ding repair" tool.
> >
> > I think that somewhere, something is muting the sound in a way I can't
> > identify.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
>
> On some desktops the act of plugging a headphone or other device into
> the front audio output jack literally disconnects the audio going to the
> rear audio output. Something like plugging in the headset into an old
> transistor radio if you are old enough to understand that reference.
> Does (did) your laptop function that way or did it output to both the
> headphone jack AND the speaker at the same time? If the headphone jack
> did have a cutoff then your problem might be a physical flaw in the
> headphone jack.
>
> John McGaw
> http://johmcgaw.com
> [Knoxville, TN, USA]

YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO ENTER YOUR LAPTOPS BRAND AND TYPE IN A SEARCH ENGINE LIKE "GOOGLE" AND TYPE AUDIO DRIVER TEXT TO YOUR COMPUTERS NAME, AND IT WILL BRING UP A WEBSITE.. YOU NEED TO DOWNLOAD A NEW DRIVER!! LIKE SOUNDMAX
January 5, 2011 7:38:19 AM

Jeff,

I'm not sure if you were able to fix the built-in speakers problem of your laptop and I'm aware that it's been a long time since it did happen
well, now to the point..

I have the exat same problem and I was able to fix it. below are the details:

Laptop info:

Sony Vaio VGN-FW270J

Problem: save as describe above post.

Solution:
After trying all of that you mention and all many other mention and after disassemble all the laptop and finding no physical damage, no driver nor software issues. So, no Common hardware & software problems as well as a proper system conifguration.

1) I taught it was the speakers so I disconnect one and test it, so it did work.
2) I did connect a Direct Encoding Cable ( a 3.5mm connection to another 3.5mm connection ) to the headphones jack, then as it sounds I did:
using a tiny speaker the cable I connect the cables to the other tip of the cable and after creating a little short between the two positves end's
as well as to the ground. I could hear the normal sound in the external tiny speaker. but when I disconnect the cable, My built-in speakers did work as they used to work. I connect the cable back again, disconnected and restar the laptop and now is all normal. so the the problema was around the headphones jack, we can imagine what the problem was. Pretty wear to have this sort of problem in a new sony laptop.

--
Jose Moreno
a b D Laptop

This topic has been closed by Buwish