TeeTewl

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2004
I put together an Athlon XP "Barton" 3000 0n an Asus A7N8X-E mobo...with mushkin DDRAM 512 PC3200 dual bl. Why does it need to be rebooted 3 or 4 times before it registers as a 3000. Most of the time it registers 1300 mhz and "thinks" it's overclocked. Then it won't boot. BLACK SCREEN

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It doesn't really think the thing was overclocked. Asus made the stupid decision to use the "CPU Overclocking Failed" message universal for ANY boot failure.

I'll assume your board is a new enough version to support 400 bus processors, as some didn't. There are 2 versions of the 3000+, one using a 333 bus, the other using a 400 bus. The earlier processor works on the earlier boards, while the later one doesn't always work on them.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TeeTewl

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2004
I bought it as a 333 FSB so I guess I'm stuck with it...Maybe New Egg will help? That's where I bought it.
By the way thanks, Crashman

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Maybe if we keep posting in here long enough, someone experience with your board will come in and offer a solution!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
> Asus made the stupid decision to use the "CPU Overclocking
>Failed" message universal for ANY boot failure.

Would that include a PSU that is not quite up to the task, and doesnt boot 3 times out of 4 ? Just guessing it might be a PSU issue..

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Slightly low core voltage or memory voltage can cause a system not to boot at full speed, but be bootable at a slower bus speed. Any time your PC fails to boot, Asus BIOS will kick it down to a lower bus speed and try again, giving you that error if it successfuly boots at the lower bus speed.

TeeTewl

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2004
For some strange reason it (My computer) has started booting normally every time. I did nothing to it just started it and it responded correctly. 'puter Gremlins?

Can't hit a lob wedge...