GX1 Stand by Mode

I recently installed a new hard drive and Windows 2000 in a Dell
Optiplex GX1 with the Pentium III 550MHz.

I want to use the Standby feature instead of Shutdown, but Standby is
not available from the shutdown menu.

I think I know what I did wrong. When I installed W2k, the BIOS
aetting for ACPI was Off. Some necessary files may not have been
installed. Now when I turn it the BIOS setting for ACPI On, I can
open Device Manager > View > Show Hidden Devices. The entry for NT
Apm/Legacy Interface Node has a red X. I right-click and select
ENABLE, and the red X disappears. Then I go to Contol Panel > Power
Options, and select Enable Advanced Power Management. Standy doesn't
show in the Shutdown Menu. I have tried togling the Enable Advanced
Power Management off, then on, rebooting at each change.

The Dell BIOS says that turning On the ACPI enables the computer to go
to Standby when the Power Button is pressed. This doesn't work
either. The computer powers down.

Are there some Microsoft Windows files that I may be missiing? Any
suggestions will be appreciated.

LT

ACPI has to be on when you install the OS. Turning it on after OS install
will not work.