XPSP1 and gaming HELP!!!!!!

coolcat

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2002
Ever since I installed XPSP1 I can't play neither of the following right: AOE II, Hitman 2 demo, NOLF2 demo and Rainbow 6.
In the first 3 the game randomly crashes and returns me to the desktop, in R6 the same thing happens, but it is not random, it's when I start a mission.
Any ideas?

My DVD reader is destroyed! I told you it wasn't an oven!

coolcat

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2002
Won't anyone help me?
C'mon you guys you can do better than that!
I thought someone here could help me...
:frown:

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Sounds like either a vid card/agp driver prob or a heat prob

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

sturm

Splendid
try uninstalling the sp1 and see if problems still exist. alot of people are having problems with sp1 when its installed. uninstalled everything works ok.

DaveP

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
Are you ever clocking? I had some problems until I put the settings to default.

<font color=blue>GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.</font color=blue>

pat

Expert
I've just uninstalled SP1 to bring my computer back to 100% stability. Installing it bring me incompatibility problems with my video drivers and multimedia stuff. Everithing went fine in my case, maybe just because I had a back-up of my important stuff...

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Absolutely no problems with SP1 here... only thing I can suggest is to make sure the drivers you have are compatible. ATi released a new driver on Sept. 12th that was specifically for SP1.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

DCB

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2002
The problem with older Rainbow Six games is that there not compatable with XP. Problems still occur when using the compatability program.[re: ubi.com forums]. The following RSE games are known to have XP problems - Rainbow Six, Eagle Watch, Rogue Spear, Urban Ops, Black Thorn and Covert Ops. One of the best ways too avoid gaming problems is too Duel Boot with 98SE. This works good also for other games and software.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Ati hammers out drivers like there is no tomorrow.

It puts the rest of the entire friggin' WORLD to shame when it comez to driver updates.

Other than that, SP1 is a red-headed step child that I beat off my computer with a wet-noodle...

[Jedi mind trick] You LOVE Palladium. [/mind trick]

coolcat

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2002
I forgot to mention that I've got a stupid GeForce 2 MX400 and I've got all drivers updated (30.82), I think.

coolcat

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2002
But I don't want to buy W98SE because it costs the same as XP and soon the hardware companies will stop making drivers for it, I guess.
Anyway, I've uninstalled Rainbow 6 (It was an offer anyway) and all the demos (why should I care about them?) and am praying AOE II doesn't keep crashing.

DaveP

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
I have XPSP1 and don't have any problems when I play AOE/AOE2. The only time I had problems was when I accidently over clocked my cpu. Once I fixed that, the games would still crash randomly. Turns out it was the settings for my ram in the bios. I had it set to turbo. Once I set it to default, my problem went away. If this isn't your case, I'm sorry I couldn't help.

<font color=blue>GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.</font color=blue>

coolcat

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2002
Hmmm... I don't think so, and I'll tell you why:
1. I haven't been messing around my PC and it worked fine before
2.It only crashes in the 2nd scenario of the saladin campaign, so it's not random.

:mad: Are you talkin' to me? :mad:
:cool: That means you know martian :cool: