any way to slow down old 16bit programs ?

September 14, 2005 5:21:03 PM

when trying to use an old 16bit presentation program that was originally
designed to run on (don't laugh) win3.1 and win95 on P486 pc's the program
runs but the audio and graphics do not stay 'sync-ed' with each other, which
leads me to believe that the program was not designed to run on such fast
processors and timing is throwing parts of the program off. setting the
program to run in win95 compatibility mode did not help either. reading
further into this windows xp help mentioned something about problems like
this arising when using older programs and the timing issues involved and
then something about a 'hardware compatibility timer' that can be adjusted
and slowed down for individual programs that exhibit this problem. when
right-clicking on this older .exe file though it does not give this
particular option. assuming it is in fact a timing issue with the newer
2.5Ghz pc's being too fast for this program that was designed to run on
486's, are there any other options to try and get the processor to 'slow
down' to correctly run these older apps, presentations, games, etc... ? tia
for any help on this one ...

More about : slow 16bit programs

Anonymous
September 14, 2005 9:17:16 PM

E-Double wrote:
> when trying to use an old 16bit presentation program that was originally
> designed to run on (don't laugh) win3.1 and win95 on P486 pc's the program
> runs but the audio and graphics do not stay 'sync-ed' with each other, which
> leads me to believe that the program was not designed to run on such fast
> processors and timing is throwing parts of the program off. setting the
> program to run in win95 compatibility mode did not help either. reading
> further into this windows xp help mentioned something about problems like
> this arising when using older programs and the timing issues involved and
> then something about a 'hardware compatibility timer' that can be adjusted
> and slowed down for individual programs that exhibit this problem. when
> right-clicking on this older .exe file though it does not give this
> particular option. assuming it is in fact a timing issue with the newer
> 2.5Ghz pc's being too fast for this program that was designed to run on
> 486's, are there any other options to try and get the processor to 'slow
> down' to correctly run these older apps, presentations, games, etc... ? tia
> for any help on this one ...

Check out DOS-Box ... http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 9:17:17 PM