Mounting CPU/Mobo Upsidedown

Cerebrate

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
Hello,
I was wondering if it was possible to mount a motherboard upside down. Will the heatsink on the CPU still be able to displace the heat? I was concerned about the heat rising into the motherboard or back of CPU. Has anyone ever done this before?

This is an AMD XP 2000+ CPU on a BioStar MB. There will be a decent airspace around the MB and CPU. Just concerned about the heat displacement.

Thanks,
Jason

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually having the CPU at the bottom of the case would be BETTER for cooling. Think about it, a bottom fan blowing in, hot air rises, you'd have to have good exhaust at the top to keep your cards cool, that's all.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
I am asking why you are trying this strange solution.
But anyway, since the CPU uses a forced ventilation it will still be cooled even if the warmer air will have more difficult to be recirculated. Depending on active ventilation which will involve the MB you will have the CPU working at some degrees (maybe 4÷7) above the temperature you may have with a more "confortable" solution.

______________________ <font color=red>A straight line never ends……………….until it comes up against a vicious circle</font color=red>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
I think he means an horizontal, inverted mounting, so with the cpu facing down and the back of the MB facing up. This won't do cooling any good, but I doubt it will cause problems with anything but a marginal cooling /airflow solution. I do wonder what is the point though ?

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Maybe he wants to bolt it directly to the underside of his desk?

---
Epox 8RDA+ rev1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @205x11 (~2.26Ghz), 1.575Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL 2-2-2-4
Sapphire 9800Pro 420/744

Cerebrate

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
Yes, you are correct, it will be mounted upside down not just rotated. The reason the MB will be mounted upside down is because it is going in an arcade machine. It will be placed at the top of a machine behide some plexiglass with lights on it for show. Thanks for all the replies! It makes me feel better about putting it upside down.

We will be posting pictues on this site if you'd like to check'm out. www.jcb-online.com/arcade

Jason