HELP! I have had 5 different IT guys take a stab at this with no avail

Tucknasty89

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
I recently upgraded to nternet explorer 9 from 8 and ever since then the browser will not open. It just flashes like its trying to open and closes real quick. If I go to the control panel to add and remove programs, IE is not listed as a program nor is there any IE update listed in the uninstall an update. Antivirus has been on the whole time so I dont think its a virus. Also, I have cleared all passwords, cookies, data and Java. Only thing I haven't done is try to download IE8 from Firefox which I am on. There doesnt seem to be any legit download for IE8 for windows 7 64bit they are all for xp and vista. Please HELP! I cant do most of the work i need to do!

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
You can't just download IE 8 and make it go back. IE 9 is not your typical browser install. It's actually an update.

Go to Start > Control panel > Programs features > click View installed updates on left > under install an update scroll to Microsoft windows section. Right click windows IE 9, Click uninstall then hit yes and restart.

TheProudNoob

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Go to the programs part in the control panel. There should be an "Add or remove windows features button."

Click that and deselect Internet Explorer, hit ok, and restart your computer. Then, repeat the process, but checkmark it.

After this, IE9 should be "reinstalled."

I'm positive this works, provided the original update to IE9 wasn't corrupted. Try this first, then what the other guy said.

I can provide a better walkthrough later, but I'm in windows xp on a public computer, so I can't do it yet.

Unfortunately there's more like them around every day. Their stock answer to every problem is "just reimage it"

Tucknasty89

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Guys, did yall not read what I said? IE9 does not show up as a program under add or remove programs nor is there an IE9 update under the windows sections ive looked 10 times. And bubblehead, yes the last guy said we may just have to reimage it. ALSO, I want to get IE8 back bc our VPN rejects IE9 , so I need to go back to IE8 as I said the first time.
Also, the proudnoob,
i see a "Turn Windows features on or off" button but I am not allowed to access it because of company disabled it.
COME ON GUYS!

TheProudNoob

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012

I once needed to upgrade my laptop from vista to 7. I went to BestBuy and explicitly told them I want my files preserved (just an upgrade), because I wasn't confident I could do it at the time.

They wiped my computer -_-

If the IE9 update was successfully installed it most definitely will appear in the "View Installed Updates" list (appears as "Windows Internet Explorer 9"). If you click the "Name" column header and sort ascending '^' it should appear at the bottom of the list. If it's not there then it's time to back up data and reimage. There is no other way to revert to IE8.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

No one suggested looking for a "program" under remove/programs. You need to be looking at the updates. If the update is not there then you simply do not have IE 9 installed.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9 <--- from microsofts website. It's called "Windows Internet Explorer 9"
Go to your browser, to the right of tools you'll have a down arrow select "about internet explorer" Confirm that IE 9 is actually installed.

IF it is indeed installed answer these questions and we might be able to troubleshoot why your not seeing it.
Do you see the IE Icons in your Start Menu?
Were there any issues during the install?
What happens when you try to reinstall IE 9?

Browse to your Windows directory and locate theIE9_main.log and copy the details from that log and paste it here in the forums.

Tucknasty89

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
wow bubblehead are you sure there is no other way bc i think thats the case. its not there. Cant i just remove IE9 from program files? (which it show up in but doesnt show up in control panel)

Tucknasty89

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
unoriginal1,
Yes there are icons on the start menu and i can locate the internet explorer file in program files and it shows up as ie9 when i look at the details and the version. It also says its an application so its not just a shortcut. remember i dont watn ie9 thats part of the problem i wasnt supposed to upgrade it i need to go back to ie8 but there is nothing in the update section of the control panel about IE9 so its like i didnt even do it. remember i cant even open the browser.

Removing the IE9 update via Control Panel>Programs and Features>View Installed Updates is the ONLY way to revert.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Lol Ive seriously considered managing the Geek squad haha those guys get paid GREAT. (buddy of mine "non techie so don't know how he got the job" works there and does well)

It's their reputation that keeps me from applying :p.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

You can "open" the browser. You just can't get to any site (im assuming here) K so IE 9 is indeed installed. Bubble is 100% correct the only way to revert (back to ie8) is to uninstall under the updates section. Remember it's not a program that you'd typically find in the add / remove list.

If you can't find it then system restore is your best bet after backing up of your data.

Tucknasty89

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
no there is nothing under the updates section and NO i cannot open the browser at all. it flashes up on the screen and close back in a split second. cant get it to open at all. what will system restore do?

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

System restore will revert your machine to the state it was before. Pick a date that everything was fine and restore it.
MAKE SURE you back up any and all important data first.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Whats funny and ironic at the same time... Is that the good ole "sledge hammer to kill a fly" of just re-image it. May actually be the answer to this one lol. Ive honestly never had issues with reverting back to IE 8 so never have used a system restore, just suggested since he isn't finding the update :/.

Any chance this is a locked down PC issued by the company you work for? I ask as the security may limit your options on add/removal of updates and also doing a system restore.

If so can one of the "IT" guys in desktop services login as local admin and do the Uninstall of IE9?

Click the Start button , type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.
Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.

Tucknasty89

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
wow its actually funny that the guy who probably like yall said doesnt know what he is doing may actually be right. I really appreciate yalls help and I cant believe this happened. I have lost so much productivity at work its been an absolute mess bc im out of town so now i have to wait until Friday to reimage it.

Yup, I rarely use that "sledge hammer" in day to day operations. However, I find that IE issues more often than not seem only to succumb to "the hammer"