Sign in with
Your question

HELP! I have had 5 different IT guys take a stab at this with no avail

Tags:
  • Internet Explorer
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
November 27, 2012 6:50:43 PM

I recently upgraded to nternet explorer 9 from 8 and ever since then the browser will not open. It just flashes like its trying to open and closes real quick. If I go to the control panel to add and remove programs, IE is not listed as a program nor is there any IE update listed in the uninstall an update. Antivirus has been on the whole time so I dont think its a virus. Also, I have cleared all passwords, cookies, data and Java. Only thing I haven't done is try to download IE8 from Firefox which I am on. There doesnt seem to be any legit download for IE8 for windows 7 64bit they are all for xp and vista. Please HELP! I cant do most of the work i need to do!

More about : guys stab avail

a b $ Windows 7
November 27, 2012 6:55:09 PM

You can't just download IE 8 and make it go back. IE 9 is not your typical browser install. It's actually an update.

Go to Start > Control panel > Programs features > click View installed updates on left > under install an update scroll to Microsoft windows section. Right click windows IE 9, Click uninstall then hit yes and restart.
m
l
November 27, 2012 6:56:26 PM

Go to the programs part in the control panel. There should be an "Add or remove windows features button."

Click that and deselect Internet Explorer, hit ok, and restart your computer. Then, repeat the process, but checkmark it.

After this, IE9 should be "reinstalled."

I'm positive this works, provided the original update to IE9 wasn't corrupted. Try this first, then what the other guy said.

I can provide a better walkthrough later, but I'm in windows xp on a public computer, so I can't do it yet.
m
l
November 27, 2012 6:58:00 PM

I do hope that none of those 5 "I.T." guys charged you money for their time. Anyone that doesn't know what unoriginal posted, cannot legitimately call themselves and IT person. Yikes.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 27, 2012 7:00:50 PM

SinisterSalad said:
I do hope that none of those 5 "I.T." guys charged you money for their time. Anyone that doesn't know what unoriginal posted, cannot legitimately call themselves and IT person. Yikes.

Unfortunately there's more like them around every day. Their stock answer to every problem is "just reimage it"

m
l
November 27, 2012 7:08:30 PM

Guys, did yall not read what I said? IE9 does not show up as a program under add or remove programs nor is there an IE9 update under the windows sections ive looked 10 times. And bubblehead, yes the last guy said we may just have to reimage it. ALSO, I want to get IE8 back bc our VPN rejects IE9 , so I need to go back to IE8 as I said the first time.
Also, the proudnoob,
i see a "Turn Windows features on or off" button but I am not allowed to access it because of company disabled it.
COME ON GUYS!
m
l
November 27, 2012 7:09:06 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
Unfortunately there's more like them around every day. Their stock answer to every problem is "just reimage it"

I once needed to upgrade my laptop from vista to 7. I went to BestBuy and explicitly told them I want my files preserved (just an upgrade), because I wasn't confident I could do it at the time.

They wiped my computer -_-
m
l
November 27, 2012 7:11:41 PM

Did you seriously give your computer for BB to work on? They say in their TOS that they are not responsible for your data. They never are.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 27, 2012 7:14:42 PM

If the IE9 update was successfully installed it most definitely will appear in the "View Installed Updates" list (appears as "Windows Internet Explorer 9"). If you click the "Name" column header and sort ascending '^' it should appear at the bottom of the list. If it's not there then it's time to back up data and reimage. There is no other way to revert to IE8.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 27, 2012 7:16:23 PM

TheProudNoob said:
....I went to BestBuy....

Says it all right there.....

They only hire those that can't get hired anywhere else.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 27, 2012 7:16:38 PM

Tucknasty89 said:
Guys, did yall not read what I said? IE9 does not show up as a program under add or remove programs nor is there an IE9 update under the windows sections ive looked 10 times. And bubblehead, yes the last guy said we may just have to reimage it. ALSO, I want to get IE8 back bc our VPN rejects IE9 , so I need to go back to IE8 as I said the first time.
Also, the proudnoob,
i see a "Turn Windows features on or off" button but I am not allowed to access it because of company disabled it.
COME ON GUYS!

No one suggested looking for a "program" under remove/programs. You need to be looking at the updates. If the update is not there then you simply do not have IE 9 installed.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/how-do-i-in... <--- from microsofts website. It's called "Windows Internet Explorer 9"
Go to your browser, to the right of tools you'll have a down arrow select "about internet explorer" Confirm that IE 9 is actually installed.

IF it is indeed installed answer these questions and we might be able to troubleshoot why your not seeing it.
Do you see the IE Icons in your Start Menu?
Were there any issues during the install?
What happens when you try to reinstall IE 9?

Browse to your Windows directory and locate theIE9_main.log and copy the details from that log and paste it here in the forums.
m
l
November 27, 2012 7:16:56 PM

wow bubblehead are you sure there is no other way bc i think thats the case. its not there. Cant i just remove IE9 from program files? (which it show up in but doesnt show up in control panel)
m
l
November 27, 2012 7:19:26 PM

unoriginal1,
Yes there are icons on the start menu and i can locate the internet explorer file in program files and it shows up as ie9 when i look at the details and the version. It also says its an application so its not just a shortcut. remember i dont watn ie9 thats part of the problem i wasnt supposed to upgrade it i need to go back to ie8 but there is nothing in the update section of the control panel about IE9 so its like i didnt even do it. remember i cant even open the browser.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 27, 2012 7:19:58 PM

Tucknasty89 said:
wow bubblehead are you sure there is no other way bc i think thats the case. its not there. Cant i just remove IE9 from program files? (which it show up in but doesnt show up in control panel)

Removing the IE9 update via Control Panel>Programs and Features>View Installed Updates is the ONLY way to revert.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 27, 2012 7:22:27 PM

ex_bubblehead said:

Lol Ive seriously considered managing the Geek squad haha those guys get paid GREAT. (buddy of mine "non techie so don't know how he got the job" works there and does well)

It's their reputation that keeps me from applying :p .
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 27, 2012 7:24:36 PM

Tucknasty89 said:
unoriginal1,
Yes there are icons on the start menu and i can locate the internet explorer file in program files and it shows up as ie9 when i look at the details and the version. It also says its an application so its not just a shortcut. remember i dont watn ie9 thats part of the problem i wasnt supposed to upgrade it i need to go back to ie8 but there is nothing in the update section of the control panel about IE9 so its like i didnt even do it. remember i cant even open the browser.

You can "open" the browser. You just can't get to any site (im assuming here) K so IE 9 is indeed installed. Bubble is 100% correct the only way to revert (back to ie8) is to uninstall under the updates section. Remember it's not a program that you'd typically find in the add / remove list.

If you can't find it then system restore is your best bet after backing up of your data.
m
l
November 27, 2012 7:37:48 PM

no there is nothing under the updates section and NO i cannot open the browser at all. it flashes up on the screen and close back in a split second. cant get it to open at all. what will system restore do?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 27, 2012 7:39:58 PM

Tucknasty89 said:
no there is nothing under the updates section and NO i cannot open the browser at all. it flashes up on the screen and close back in a split second. cant get it to open at all. what will system restore do?

System restore will revert your machine to the state it was before. Pick a date that everything was fine and restore it.
MAKE SURE you back up any and all important data first.
m
l
November 27, 2012 7:43:21 PM

unoriginal1 said:

It's their reputation that keeps me from applying :p .

Exactly why I didn't break in line to apply either
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 27, 2012 7:43:42 PM

I've never had any success reverting IE via system restore. There's always been something left behind that causes problems.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 27, 2012 7:51:44 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
I've never had any success reverting IE via system restore. There's always been something left behind that causes problems.

Whats funny and ironic at the same time... Is that the good ole "sledge hammer to kill a fly" of just re-image it. May actually be the answer to this one lol. Ive honestly never had issues with reverting back to IE 8 so never have used a system restore, just suggested since he isn't finding the update :/ .
m
l
November 27, 2012 7:53:11 PM

Any chance this is a locked down PC issued by the company you work for? I ask as the security may limit your options on add/removal of updates and also doing a system restore.

If so can one of the "IT" guys in desktop services login as local admin and do the Uninstall of IE9?

Click the Start button , type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.
Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.

m
l
November 27, 2012 7:54:25 PM

wow its actually funny that the guy who probably like yall said doesnt know what he is doing may actually be right. I really appreciate yalls help and I cant believe this happened. I have lost so much productivity at work its been an absolute mess bc im out of town so now i have to wait until Friday to reimage it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 27, 2012 7:59:02 PM

unoriginal1 said:
Whats funny and ironic at the same time... Is that the good ole "sledge hammer to kill a fly" of just re-image it. May actually be the answer to this one lol. Ive honestly never had issues with reverting back to IE 8 so never have used a system restore, just suggested since he isn't finding the update :/ .

Yup, I rarely use that "sledge hammer" in day to day operations. However, I find that IE issues more often than not seem only to succumb to "the hammer"
m
l
November 27, 2012 8:02:24 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
Yup, I rarely use that "sledge hammer" in day to day operations. However, I find that IE issues more often than not seem only to succumb to "the hammer"

If it comes to the sledge hammer back your data up and try the system restore first. Might as well if your going to do a re-image anyhow.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 27, 2012 8:02:34 PM

could try this

Log on to the computer as an Administrator or with an account that has administrative rights.

Close all Internet Explorer browser windows.

Click Start, type cmd in the Search box and then click cmd.exe from the programs list.

Copy the following command and then right-click inside the command window, click Paste, and then press Enter on the keyboard.

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*9.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

Restart the computer to complete the uninstall of Internet Explorer 9.
m
l
November 27, 2012 8:06:29 PM

Alright, for the real solution... type into the search box on the start menu "internet explorer" one of the things that should come up is Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons). Click on this. It will probably work now.

Go into your settings and disable all of your addons, it will probably work normally now.
m
l
November 27, 2012 8:08:28 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
could try this

Log on to the computer as an Administrator or with an account that has administrative rights.

Close all Internet Explorer browser windows.

Click Start, type cmd in the Search box and then click cmd.exe from the programs list.

Copy the following command and then right-click inside the command window, click Paste, and then press Enter on the keyboard.

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*9.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

Restart the computer to complete the uninstall of Internet Explorer 9.

OP: This may work see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2579295/en-us

If you like me I have to see it from MS before I try something like that.
m
l
November 27, 2012 8:14:50 PM

Tucknasty89 said:

You haven't installed any Microsoft updates the entire time you've had that computer?
m
l
November 27, 2012 9:06:27 PM

ex_bubblehead said:

That was a long time ago when I was a freshman in high school getting my first computer...

Yeah I should very gone with my gut instinct back then and just done it myself. I pity my old self. Funny how much you can learn about the compute s in 4 years.

Proud operator of a dual boot mint Linux and Windows 7 machine, as well as tech support for my entire family!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 27, 2012 9:18:29 PM

As others have mentioned it should be in the list off windows updates that can be uninstalled under Control Panel - Programs and features - Left side bar (View installed Updates ) -- in the list of installed updates find Windows Internet Explorer 9 -- Select it to highlight and press uninstall toward the top of the window -- As shown in the pic below :

m
l
November 27, 2012 9:19:43 PM

Tucknasty89 said:
Also, the proudnoob,
COME ON GUYS!

You can always try brute force reinstalling it! Just download IE9 from the links the other guys gave you and install it over what you have.

I would recommend getting an IT guy to re enable that feature temporarily and reinstall IE9 from there. That really is the easiest way to fix it.
m
l
November 27, 2012 9:30:23 PM

TheProudNoob said:
I once needed to upgrade my laptop from vista to 7. I went to BestBuy and explicitly told them I want my files preserved (just an upgrade), because I wasn't confident I could do it at the time.

They wiped my computer -_-

How did that make you feel?! Hope you didn't pay them!
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
November 27, 2012 9:48:00 PM

why hasn't anyone suggested using FF or chrome?

btw, if there is a problem with finding IE9 what about turning it off in this:

just saw everyone else having fun and thought i'd throw in my 2¢
m
l
November 27, 2012 9:48:43 PM

Tucknasty89 said:
I recently upgraded to nternet explorer 9 from 8 and ever since then the browser will not open. It just flashes like its trying to open and closes real quick. If I go to the control panel to add and remove programs, IE is not listed as a program nor is there any IE update listed in the uninstall an update. Antivirus has been on the whole time so I dont think its a virus. Also, I have cleared all passwords, cookies, data and Java. Only thing I haven't done is try to download IE8 from Firefox which I am on. There doesnt seem to be any legit download for IE8 for windows 7 64bit they are all for xp and vista. Please HELP! I cant do most of the work i need to do!

Have you tried to reset the internet explorer settings yet? if not follow these steps:

From the Control Panel, follow these steps:
1. Close all Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer windows.
2. Click Start , and then click Control Panel.
3. In Control Panel, open Internet Options.
4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.
5. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
6. When Internet Explorer finishes restoring the default settings, click Close, and then click OK two times.
7. Close Internet Explorer, and then reopen it. The changes take effect the next time that you open Internet Explorer.
m
l
November 27, 2012 9:49:13 PM

jdfan and other who just jumped on
this is where it gets crazy.
1 its company computer so a lot of admin rights i dont have access to.
2. under the updates section, all the microsoft windows updates and all that i have installed over time but NO ie updates of any kind appear. the only trace of internet explorer on my pc is the icon on the task bar, the links in the start menu, and the ie files in the program files. I downloaded Revo Uninstaller and it couldnt even find internet explorer on PC as a program (is that similiar to BruteForce one of you mentioned)
3. mcnumpty23 i tried it and it said it uninstalled stuff. i will shut down pc and try and see what happens
4. I NEED TO GO BACK TO IE8 and NOT IE9. IE9 is not compatible with our VPN so I made a mistake downloading it. So reinstalling IE9 will probably not help the solution because thats what caused it in the first place.
m
l
November 27, 2012 10:04:01 PM

Anonymous said:
why hasn't anyone suggested using FF or chrome?

btw, if there is a problem with finding IE9 what about turning it off in this:
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/2087/1capturewc.jpg

just saw everyone else having fun and thought i'd throw in my 2¢

Duh... That's what I've been recommending.

And yeah, chrome or FF are pretty good, but IE9 is smoother and more stable, although it doesn't have sync.
m
l
November 27, 2012 10:06:02 PM

Tucknasty89 said:
jdfan and other who just jumped on
this is where it gets crazy.
2. under the updates section, all the microsoft windows updates and all that i have installed over time but NO ie updates of any kind appear. the only trace of internet explorer on my pc is the icon on the task bar, the links in the start menu, and the ie files in the program files. I downloaded Revo Uninstaller and it couldnt even find internet explorer on PC as a program (is that similiar to BruteForce one of you mentioned)
3. mcnumpty23 i tried it and it said it uninstalled stuff. i will shut down pc and try and see what happens
4. I NEED TO GO BACK TO IE8 and NOT IE9. IE9 is not compatible with our VPN so I made a mistake downloading it. So reinstalling IE9 will probably not help the solution because thats what caused it in the first place.

Solution 1:

Fix the VPN or update it

Might take a long time, or it may never happen at all...

Solution 2:

Follow what everyone else is saying and get an IT guy to uninstall the IE9 update.

Enjoy the poor security of an outdated web browser...

Overall, send an appeal to your boss about updates, lol.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
November 27, 2012 11:20:40 PM

Tucknasty89 said:

could you repeat that several times until you and everyone else understands why you can't do half the stuff you need to . . .

edit: and no offence but you needed to state that in the beginning!!!
m
l
November 28, 2012 12:05:56 AM

Looniam,

The only feature I don't have access to so far is the turn windows on and off feature. Everything else I've been able to try. Ill try to see if i can get IT to help me temp use that feature when i get back in town friday. Until then i have to keep trying different stuff. I have to get IE back bc our VPN uses IE8 to connect to the network. The VPN software has a login page that uses IE8 so I've been out of the network all week and its killing me. i didnt realize that when i downloaded IE9 the other day that my computer would freak out like this. What makes it worse is that I'm out of town at the client site so I've been stuck getting IT help over the phone and from remote pc connect. I hope I survive the week. I'll try one of those other suggestions tomorrow. The Microsoft solution seems promising.

m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
November 28, 2012 12:55:35 AM

IE View 1.5.1
by Paul Roub
Lets you load pages in IE with a single right-click, or mark certain sites to *always* load in IE.

Quote:
Makes corporate apps seamless
My company uses several IE-based apps, but I want to use Firefox as my default browser. By adding the addresses for the corporate apps to IE View's white list, it makes things seamless. I don't need to copy-paste links into IE, my apps don't break, it all just works. I'm very happy!

what you got to lose?

btw, being limited from turning features on/off may not be the only restriction. you may also be blocked from viewing and uninstalling "important" updates. it is up to the IT what configuration they feel is best to give you rights for and those configurations can be high specific.

i know, i have done that @work when requested.
m
l
November 29, 2012 9:01:37 PM

Tucknasty89 said:
Looniam,

The only feature I don't have access to so far is the turn windows on and off feature. Everything else I've been able to try. Ill try to see if i can get IT to help me temp use that feature when i get back in town friday. Until then i have to keep trying different stuff. I have to get IE back bc our VPN uses IE8 to connect to the network. The VPN software has a login page that uses IE8 so I've been out of the network all week and its killing me. i didnt realize that when i downloaded IE9 the other day that my computer would freak out like this. What makes it worse is that I'm out of town at the client site so I've been stuck getting IT help over the phone and from remote pc connect. I hope I survive the week. I'll try one of those other suggestions tomorrow. The Microsoft solution seems promising.

For Windows 7 the "IT" guys have to go out of there way to prevent auto updates to IE9, trust me when they do this they know its going to bork something in a bad way. Get whoever does desktop support that can get on as local admin to remove IE9. Im suspecting you installing IE9 with locked down privileges likely caused the install issue. If they can not revert it then your getting re-imaged as they wont waste their time for someone who just attempted to install non-approved software. Back your data up to a file server / USB drive prior because you likely won't be making friends with desktop support when you make this request.

edit: If its a big company you will likely have internal websites coded for IE6 that break as well. You can try to just use Firefox but im guessing that will only take you so far.
m
l
!