Hi,
I just re-installed IE and since then have been getting the
"Open File: Security Warning" messages for most programs
I try to run (local ones, NOT downloads).

I did disable this before, but have forgotten how to. Googling for
the answer only came up with how to disable this for files on a network
(by adding to zone) and when downloading files in IE.

Could anyone tell me where in the registry this can be disabled?
Also, I have Home Edition, so no access to gpedit.msc

Regards,
VT

You need to change permissions on the Local Machine Zone.
Check this article on how to modify permissions:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=833633#how

Tim