I've heard that when you get DSL or a cable modem, you have to install
software that people hate or don't need. Is that basically true? Why
do they do it?

"Richard Fangnail" <richardfangnail@excite.com> wrote in message
> I've heard that when you get DSL or a cable modem, you have to install
> software that people hate or don't need. Is that basically true? Why
> do they do it?

The answer depends upon your ISP. If you know what you are doing, you do
*NOT* have to install any software to connect to a broadband connection.

For those that do not have a clue, there is AOL (AOHELL). No self
respecting computer literate person would let an AOL install disc with a 10
meter radius of their computer.

Bobby

In news:1126735764.776075.309880@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
Richard Fangnail <richardfangnail@excite.com> typed:

> I've heard that when you get DSL or a cable modem, you have to
> install
> software that people hate or don't need. Is that basically
> true? Why
> do they do it?

No, it's not true. Although some DSL or cable ISPs may distribute
special software, it's unnecessary. You should be able to use
exactly the same software you used with your dialup account.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Can't speak for DSL, but if you get a cable modem, you don't have to install
their proprietary software...it doesn't run the modem, it simply adds some
of their *junk*, including branded IE and OE.

All you need from a provider is a connection. Period. ;-)

Tom
"Richard Fangnail" <richardfangnail@excite.com> wrote in message
| I've heard that when you get DSL or a cable modem, you have to install
| software that people hate or don't need. Is that basically true? Why
| do they do it?

Smaller DSL ISPs, which generally have mail and news servers, are usually
more flexible than larger DSL ISPs which often don't provide news and mail
servers. For example, TDS, a small phone company based in Wisconsin,
provides a mail server and news server, while Qwest, the phone company for
the entire upper midwest between Colo. and Minn., offers stripped down DSL
service.

Paul Riemerman

From: "Richard Fangnail" <richardfangnail@excite.com>

| I've heard that when you get DSL or a cable modem, you have to install
| software that people hate or don't need. Is that basically true? Why
| do they do it?

You have to be specific about the hardware.
Is the modem a modem/Router or is it just a Cable or DSL modem only ?
If it is modem only device, is it installed as a PCI card ?
If it is modem only device, is it connected via Twisted pair Ethernet or USB ?
If it is DSL and a modem only device, is the ISP using PPPoE or DHCP ?

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

You don't have to install it - most is for ease of use or to add
Security software to your system. All Broadband equipment
has some type of Web interface to be able to configure it. The
most common setup is just the ISP account name and password.

From: "Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.invalid>

| Can't speak for DSL, but if you get a cable modem, you don't have to install
| their proprietary software...it doesn't run the modem, it simply adds some
| of their *junk*, including branded IE and OE.
|
| All you need from a provider is a connection. Period. ;-)
|
| Tom

However, if you connect via USB you do.

From: "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com>

| You don't have to install it - most is for ease of use or to add
| Security software to your system. All Broadband equipment
| has some type of Web interface to be able to configure it. The
| most common setup is just the ISP account name and password.

It depends. See my post for possible variations.

For example if it is a DSL Modem with an ISP that uses PPPoE then you will need a PPPoE
connector if it is not WinXP. If it is WinXP you will have to know how to setup the native
PPPoE and how to deal with its MTU setting.

--

Richard Fangnail wrote:
> I've heard that when you get DSL or a cable modem, you have to install
> software that people hate or don't need. Is that basically true?

No, it's not true, at all.

> Why
> do they do it?

Why does who do what?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.invalid>
>
> | Can't speak for DSL, but if you get a cable modem, you don't have to install
> | their proprietary software...it doesn't run the modem, it simply adds some
> | of their *junk*, including branded IE and OE.
> |
> | All you need from a provider is a connection. Period. ;-)
> |
> | Tom
>
> However, if you connect via USB you do.

But only device drivers; additional applications usually aren't needed.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

From: "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t>

| But only device drivers; additional applications usually aren't needed.
|
| --
|
| Bruce Chambers
|
| Help us help you:
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
|
| You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
| both at once. - RAH

Quite true. The problem is some ISPs may force the installation of all software and not
just drivers or components such as PPPoE.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Jim

"Richard Fangnail" <richardfangnail@excite.com> wrote in message
> I've heard that when you get DSL or a cable modem, you have to install
> software that people hate or don't need. Is that basically true? Why
> do they do it?

I can only speak for the DSL service from SBC.
When I was still stuck on Win98SE, the DSL service required lots and lots of
programs to get the service to work. I suppose the added software was
required to get 98SE connected.
When I upgraded to XP, no additional software was required. The connection
was PPoE, etc., and it was easy to get going.
Jim

In article <1126735764.776075.309880@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
richardfangnail@excite.com says...
> I've heard that when you get DSL or a cable modem, you have to install
> software that people hate or don't need. Is that basically true? Why
> do they do it?

Some DSL providers make you install their software in order to activate
your DSL modem / service.

I have not see any Cable Modem service providers that REQUIRE anything
in order to use their service.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

From: "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan>

| Some DSL providers make you install their software in order to activate
| your DSL modem / service.
|
| I have not see any Cable Modem service providers that REQUIRE anything
| in order to use their service.
|
| --
|
| spam999free@rrohio.com
| remove 999 in order to email me

Those that do, like Verizon, can be done by placing a call to verizon and creating an
account over the phone.

--

Richard Fangnail wrote:

> I've heard that when you get DSL or a cable modem, you have to install
> software that people hate or don't need. Is that basically true? Why
> do they do it?

Well, for cable, even the cable techs dont generally use the install
disks anymore for new accounts as they dont want to come back the next
day to fix it. DSL may vary however, ie you may need to install their
ware to get on.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

David H. Lipman wrote:

> | Can't speak for DSL, but if you get a cable modem, you don't have to install
> | their proprietary software...it doesn't run the modem, it simply adds some
> | of their *junk*, including branded IE and OE.
> |
> | All you need from a provider is a connection. Period. ;-)
>
> However, if you connect via USB you do.

Well, any nic, even a usb nic, you have to install ware for the os to
use it.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Wasn't needed in the case of a cable modem via NIC connection while I was in
east VA.
I let the tech install the software. I got all the pertinent connect
information wrote down afterwards. Restored windows from a previous date
via an image restore. Then put the proper information in myself. Later,
got a router, and programmed a router to do the same thing via TCP/IP
connection.

A follow-up question for the newsgroup. What about satellite internet, same
question posed by the OP?
If the price comes down to something more reasonable, may get that.

From: "Plato" <|@|.|>

| Well, any nic, even a usb nic, you have to install ware for the os to
| use it.
|
| --
| http://www.bootdisk.com/

If it is a NIC then one can presume that it is already configured in the OS and all one
would have to do is connect a twisted pair to the modem. If they are a USB based modem then
the user would certainly have to install drivers since it won't be stock on the PC nor
already installed.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

"Richard Fangnail" <richardfangnail@excite.com> wrote:

>I've heard that when you get DSL or a cable modem, you have to install
>software that people hate or don't need. Is that basically true? Why
>do they do it?

I have a cable modem. All it does is provide a network connection, any
network software will run just fine with it. No special software from
the cable provider is needed.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)