DSL / Cable modems in general

I've heard that when you get DSL or a cable modem, you have to install
software that people hate or don't need. Is that basically true? Why
do they do it?
19 answers Last reply
More about cable modems general

    "Richard Fangnail" <richardfangnail@excite.com> wrote in message
    > I've heard that when you get DSL or a cable modem, you have to install
    > software that people hate or don't need. Is that basically true? Why
    > do they do it?

    The answer depends upon your ISP. If you know what you are doing, you do
    *NOT* have to install any software to connect to a broadband connection.

    For those that do not have a clue, there is AOL (AOHELL). No self
    respecting computer literate person would let an AOL install disc with a 10
    meter radius of their computer.

    Bobby

    In news:1126735764.776075.309880@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
    Richard Fangnail <richardfangnail@excite.com> typed:

    > I've heard that when you get DSL or a cable modem, you have to
    > install
    > software that people hate or don't need. Is that basically
    > true? Why
    > do they do it?

    No, it's not true. Although some DSL or cable ISPs may distribute
    special software, it's unnecessary. You should be able to use
    exactly the same software you used with your dialup account.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Can't speak for DSL, but if you get a cable modem, you don't have to install
    their proprietary software...it doesn't run the modem, it simply adds some
    of their *junk*, including branded IE and OE.

    All you need from a provider is a connection. Period. ;-)

    Tom
    "Richard Fangnail" <richardfangnail@excite.com> wrote in message
    | I've heard that when you get DSL or a cable modem, you have to install
    | software that people hate or don't need. Is that basically true? Why
    | do they do it?

    Smaller DSL ISPs, which generally have mail and news servers, are usually
    more flexible than larger DSL ISPs which often don't provide news and mail
    servers. For example, TDS, a small phone company based in Wisconsin,
    provides a mail server and news server, while Qwest, the phone company for
    the entire upper midwest between Colo. and Minn., offers stripped down DSL
    service.

    Paul Riemerman

    From: "Richard Fangnail" <richardfangnail@excite.com>

    | I've heard that when you get DSL or a cable modem, you have to install
    | software that people hate or don't need. Is that basically true? Why
    | do they do it?

    You have to be specific about the hardware.
    Is the modem a modem/Router or is it just a Cable or DSL modem only ?
    If it is modem only device, is it installed as a PCI card ?
    If it is modem only device, is it connected via Twisted pair Ethernet or USB ?
    If it is DSL and a modem only device, is the ISP using PPPoE or DHCP ?

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    You don't have to install it - most is for ease of use or to add
    Security software to your system. All Broadband equipment
    has some type of Web interface to be able to configure it. The
    most common setup is just the ISP account name and password.

    From: "Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.invalid>

    | Can't speak for DSL, but if you get a cable modem, you don't have to install
    | their proprietary software...it doesn't run the modem, it simply adds some
    | of their *junk*, including branded IE and OE.
    |
    | All you need from a provider is a connection. Period. ;-)
    |
    | Tom

    However, if you connect via USB you do.

    From: "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com>

    | You don't have to install it - most is for ease of use or to add
    | Security software to your system. All Broadband equipment
    | has some type of Web interface to be able to configure it. The
    | most common setup is just the ISP account name and password.

    It depends. See my post for possible variations.

    For example if it is a DSL Modem with an ISP that uses PPPoE then you will need a PPPoE
    connector if it is not WinXP. If it is WinXP you will have to know how to setup the native
    PPPoE and how to deal with its MTU setting.

    --

    Richard Fangnail wrote:
    > I've heard that when you get DSL or a cable modem, you have to install
    > software that people hate or don't need. Is that basically true?

    No, it's not true, at all.

    > Why
    > do they do it?

    Why does who do what?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.invalid>
    >
    > | Can't speak for DSL, but if you get a cable modem, you don't have to install
    > | their proprietary software...it doesn't run the modem, it simply adds some
    > | of their *junk*, including branded IE and OE.
    > |
    > | All you need from a provider is a connection. Period. ;-)
    > |
    > | Tom
    >
    > However, if you connect via USB you do.

    But only device drivers; additional applications usually aren't needed.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    From: "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t>

    | But only device drivers; additional applications usually aren't needed.
    |
    | --
    |
    | Bruce Chambers
    |
    | Help us help you:
    | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    |
    | You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    | both at once. - RAH

    Quite true. The problem is some ISPs may force the installation of all software and not
    just drivers or components such as PPPoE.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    "Richard Fangnail" <richardfangnail@excite.com> wrote in message
    > I've heard that when you get DSL or a cable modem, you have to install
    > software that people hate or don't need. Is that basically true? Why
    > do they do it?

    I can only speak for the DSL service from SBC.
    When I was still stuck on Win98SE, the DSL service required lots and lots of
    programs to get the service to work. I suppose the added software was
    required to get 98SE connected.
    When I upgraded to XP, no additional software was required. The connection
    was PPoE, etc., and it was easy to get going.
    Jim

    In article <1126735764.776075.309880@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    richardfangnail@excite.com says...
    > I've heard that when you get DSL or a cable modem, you have to install
    > software that people hate or don't need. Is that basically true? Why
    > do they do it?

    Some DSL providers make you install their software in order to activate
    your DSL modem / service.

    I have not see any Cable Modem service providers that REQUIRE anything
    in order to use their service.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    From: "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan>

    | Some DSL providers make you install their software in order to activate
    | your DSL modem / service.
    |
    | I have not see any Cable Modem service providers that REQUIRE anything
    | in order to use their service.
    |
    | --
    |
    | spam999free@rrohio.com
    | remove 999 in order to email me

    Those that do, like Verizon, can be done by placing a call to verizon and creating an
    account over the phone.

    --

    Richard Fangnail wrote:

    > I've heard that when you get DSL or a cable modem, you have to install
    > software that people hate or don't need. Is that basically true? Why
    > do they do it?

    Well, for cable, even the cable techs dont generally use the install
    disks anymore for new accounts as they dont want to come back the next
    day to fix it. DSL may vary however, ie you may need to install their
    ware to get on.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    David H. Lipman wrote:

    > | Can't speak for DSL, but if you get a cable modem, you don't have to install
    > | their proprietary software...it doesn't run the modem, it simply adds some
    > | of their *junk*, including branded IE and OE.
    > |
    > | All you need from a provider is a connection. Period. ;-)
    >
    > However, if you connect via USB you do.

    Well, any nic, even a usb nic, you have to install ware for the os to
    use it.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Wasn't needed in the case of a cable modem via NIC connection while I was in
    east VA.
    I let the tech install the software. I got all the pertinent connect
    information wrote down afterwards. Restored windows from a previous date
    via an image restore. Then put the proper information in myself. Later,
    got a router, and programmed a router to do the same thing via TCP/IP
    connection.

    A follow-up question for the newsgroup. What about satellite internet, same
    question posed by the OP?
    If the price comes down to something more reasonable, may get that.

    From: "Plato" <|@|.|>

    | Well, any nic, even a usb nic, you have to install ware for the os to
    | use it.
    |
    | --
    | http://www.bootdisk.com/

    If it is a NIC then one can presume that it is already configured in the OS and all one
    would have to do is connect a twisted pair to the modem. If they are a USB based modem then
    the user would certainly have to install drivers since it won't be stock on the PC nor
    already installed.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    "Richard Fangnail" <richardfangnail@excite.com> wrote:

    >I've heard that when you get DSL or a cable modem, you have to install
    >software that people hate or don't need. Is that basically true? Why
    >do they do it?

    I have a cable modem. All it does is provide a network connection, any
    network software will run just fine with it. No special software from
    the cable provider is needed.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)