PS3-Like Audio on PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjs4ever

Honorable
May 17, 2012
I apologize if this is posted in the wrong section.

I currently have a Logitech z5500 and have my PS3 connected via optical out. This has been working perfectly for me: my stereo sources are recognized as stereo and the z5500 puts a "pro-logic" effect to mimic surround. When I play a source with surround, such as a bluray, or a game the system automatically switches to DTS or DD depending. When I am done with my surround source, it switches back to pro ligic.

I cannot get this same functionality with my PC. Just built the desktop, have it connected to the z5500 via coaxial out on my realtek alc888 (built into my motherboard). For the most part my stereo sources stay stereo, my surround sources "switch" automatically, but all of my games are stereo. My understanding is that my onboard audio lacks the Dolby Digitial Live software/routines that enable this functionality. Is there something I can do software wise? I have k-lite codec pack installed, ffdshow is setup to spdif passhthrough. I have otherwise hit a wall.

Also, I cannot get analog to output surround at all (no sound whatsoever), and my creative audigy 2 zs is useless in windows 7. I really hope I can avoid buying a dedicated sound card, and if I must, it has to be PCI.

Any insight would be appreciated,

Tim

Solution
what input ports does the speaker have? i know it has spdif optical but doesnt it also have the standard 3x 3.5mm plugs like all normal pc speakers do? if so then things should work fine. if not then check your program settings (such as in game audio settings).
what input ports does the speaker have? i know it has spdif optical but doesnt it also have the standard 3x 3.5mm plugs like all normal pc speakers do? if so then things should work fine. if not then check your program settings (such as in game audio settings).

Solution

tjs4ever

Honorable
May 17, 2012
The speaker supports one optical in, one coax in, and several (3 at least) analog line in. I realize analog in is the simplest, but I get no output from surround sources, and there is no "switching ability"

Status
Not open for further replies.