Product Key Help

I am a XP Home SP2 user. I received a copy of XP Professional from my
college. I installed it on my computer to try it out, but I ended up going
back to Home SP2. I gave the Pro copy to my friend who has Win98, but it says
the product key is already in use. But it is not in use because I deleted it
off of my computer. What do I need to do? Thanks in advance.
3 answers Last reply
More about product help

    If you encounter a problem with activation via the internet,
    then simply choose the alternative option to "activate by phone".

    How to activate Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307890

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "GS" wrote:

    | I am a XP Home SP2 user. I received a copy of XP Professional from my
    | college. I installed it on my computer to try it out, but I ended up going
    | back to Home SP2. I gave the Pro copy to my friend who has Win98, but it says
    | the product key is already in use. But it is not in use because I deleted it
    | off of my computer. What do I need to do? Thanks in advance.

    The activation is kept for 120 days, for Internet Activation. Activate by
    phone.

    "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am a XP Home SP2 user. I received a copy of XP Professional from my
    > college. I installed it on my computer to try it out, but I ended up going
    > back to Home SP2. I gave the Pro copy to my friend who has Win98, but it
    > says
    > the product key is already in use. But it is not in use because I deleted
    > it
    > off of my computer. What do I need to do? Thanks in advance.

    Most licences given by colleges are for the student only, and are not
    transferable. Like an OEM version, they are usually tied permanently to the
    first system they are activated on.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "GS" <GS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am a XP Home SP2 user. I received a copy of XP Professional from my
    > college. I installed it on my computer to try it out, but I ended up going
    > back to Home SP2. I gave the Pro copy to my friend who has Win98, but it
    > says
    > the product key is already in use. But it is not in use because I deleted
    > it
    > off of my computer. What do I need to do? Thanks in advance.

Computers Microsoft Windows XP