Wait, now I DO see a reason to go Intel

Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 31, 2004 10:14:37 AM

<A HREF="http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjAzLDQ=" target="_new">2.4A o/c article at HardOCP</A>

Things change, and you got to adapt in this industry or die.

Intel has a killer CPU out.
Frankly, AMD is caught with their pants down here.
They have no new CPU at this price point ($140US), and even if they did it wouldnt o/c like this beast.

I go price/performance and this little gem might be the ticket for me.

I posted my last post to find out if there were ANY compelling arguments to go Intel and I found little. Though Scouts experiences were my first indication.. this article confirms it.

The 2.4A rocks.

$140 is RIGHT up my alley. I dont like to spend an incredible amount on a CPU as I prefer to spend that on a GPU.
A $200 A64 3000+ was PUSHING what I considered reasonable for a consumer processor.

A processor that hits 3.3ghz with SSE3 even without HT sounds like the hot ticket for cheapskates who dont need or want the extreme cutting edge sounds good to my ears.

I'm pulling some stocks out, and I think this is the prime choice for a new computer to use with my future NV40.
Plus, you get to use Intel chipsets (which rule all).. so that will be nice to be able to do once again.

This isnt "flip-flopping" on my part, this is a breaking article that presents a very powerful choice in the CPU market.

Discuss.

____________________________
:evil:  <b>RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR :evil:
Now he's a liberal.</font color=purple></b>

More about : wait reason intel

March 31, 2004 11:25:15 AM

Quite nice. Shame about the hyperthreading though, but definitely worth considering...

I've decided I'm going with watercooling for my next big upgrade, but that won't be for a few months yet, so I'll keep an eye on this, especially later steppings. reminds me of the 1.6A Northwood.

Still probably going to OC an A64 on S939 though I reckon... I'll have to see what's about when I buy I guess.

---
Epox 8RDA+ rev1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @205x11 (~2.26Ghz), 1.575Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL 2-2-2-4
Sapphire 9800Pro 420/744
March 31, 2004 12:33:34 PM

Read that awhile ago. About the 2.4 Scotty being a high OCer. Wait till new DO stepping comes out for all Scotties.For that price you can't go wrong. Since that's all you want to spend on Cpu.
Related resources
March 31, 2004 3:00:24 PM

yup, that chip rox! Intel chipsets are vastly superior to anything out there atm.

-------
1GB DDR333 - INTEL Pentium 4 2.8B - ATI RADEON 9800 PRO - Asus P4P800 - 80GB - 430w Antec
<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=143037679" target="_new">38,476 Aquamarks</A>
March 31, 2004 4:25:17 PM

I just read that too, it's a great chip. It's truly a shame that they didn't enable HT, but hey, if they did, there'd be no reason to buy any other P4!

It's interesting to see that HardOCP said it looks as if this processor runs a lot smoother than even other prescotts (meaning: cooler!). I hope Intel can perfect its 90nm process. And, while they're at it, they might as well show us what's up with Scotty's obscene transistor count...

March 31, 2004 5:13:20 PM

Yeah useful post, nothing is vastly superior, but whatever. Anyway, that is looking very promising. Id like to see how it ocmpares to the athlon xp 2500+ as far as pushing the envelope for overclocking. I do think though that that chip is definitley the ebst buy, if it performs as they say, the barton 2500+ at 89 with an nforce 2 chipset are still a great buy too. Im also waiting to see how the athlon 64 2800+ at 170 performs, overclocking wise, with the nforce 3 250. I doubt it will be as high, but should be better then before.
March 31, 2004 7:17:17 PM

i wish they would publish what the max stable overclock was...not just the overclock where everything <i>seemed</i> ok. I would have also liked to see this compared to a 2.4c running at its max overclock (say around 3.4ghz).

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a processor
110% BX fanboy
March 31, 2004 9:03:29 PM

Doesnt seem that great to me, I think I would still go with the 2.8c its around the same price and I still trust the northwood core more. You gotta remember they could have just had a very good CPU.

P4 2.6@3.38
512Mb PC4000
2x120Gb 7200.7 in RAID0
Waterchill KT12-L30
Abit AI7
Ge-Force4 Ti4200
March 31, 2004 9:42:01 PM

I think i'll stick with my o/c xp-m 2500+ running at 200x11=2200mhz, and by the way there is no reason to go with the 2.4a if there isn't HT. HT is what gives intel it's spark. a 2.4a running at 3.3ghz will run about the same as a athon xp running at 2.2-2.4 because the lack of ht.
March 31, 2004 9:48:05 PM

Newegg prices: 2.4ghz p4a $151 vs 2.4ghz p4c $165=$14 difference!

Pros: save $14
has sse3

Cons:fsb 533
no hyperthreading
runs 8 degrees hotter

Looks inferior to the p4c even with the pros and no match for any of the amd 64s,intel cheapskates should still choose the p4 c's and amd cheapskates have the mobile bartons and the new 64 2800.Prescotts will make your cat happy-assuming you don't have a blowhole :smile:
March 31, 2004 11:36:56 PM

Quote:
Doesnt seem that great to me, I think I would still go with the 2.8c its around the same price and I still trust the northwood core more. You gotta remember they could have just had a very good CPU.

True. But this review is based off a CPU from the retail channel.. so its highly likely your going to get one similar.

Its just as likely as any AMD o/c article, or any retail CPU review for that matter.
Or just as unlikely, however you want to look at it. :smile:

____________________________
:evil:  <b>RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR :evil:
Now he's a liberal.</font color=purple></b>
March 31, 2004 11:40:47 PM

Quote:

Poster: piii_Man
Subject: Re: Wait, now I DO see a reason to go Intel

i wish they would publish what the max stable overclock was...not just the overclock where everything seemed ok. I would have also liked to see this compared to a 2.4c running at its max overclock (say around 3.4ghz).

/agree

I dont know why they didnt just push the voltage up until it WAS completely stable under Prime95.. kinda seemed silly to me as well.

____________________________
:evil:  <b>RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR :evil:
Now he's a liberal.</font color=purple></b>
April 1, 2004 12:29:28 AM

I wish you would make your mind up! You don't see, wait: maybe you do; well, quite possibly you could be right or wrong, but wait; there is an old DEC in the closet! Maybe that's the answer! Never-the-less, tomorrow you will see things differently.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!
April 1, 2004 12:44:41 AM

Quote:
I wish you would make your mind up! You don't see, wait: maybe you do; well, quite possibly you could be right or wrong, but wait; there is an old DEC in the closet! Maybe that's the answer! Never-the-less, tomorrow you will see things differently.

LOL

Actually I very well might!
I call myself a NV fanboy, a AMD fanboy.. but you know from my years of being a part of THGC I've found I'm actually one of the least fanboyish of all that exist here.
I may toot my horn, and very loudly.. but I am a true child of the Information Age, or whatever age we're in now.

I can adapt very well and I follow trends well. I think this is crucial for any person that makes their living in the tech industry with any proficiency, as I do.
Or you will ultimately fail.
Its not "just a job" working in the field, its a lifestyle that must be adhered to.

Its not like you like a Chevy over a Ford for decades cuz a Chevy has the 350 small block (my personal all-time favorite).
This industry is very different.

At least, thats how I see things.

So I'm actually pretty proud of myself to be able to go back and forth in a way..

2sense.

____________________________
:evil:  <b>RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR :evil:
Now he's a liberal.</font color=purple></b>
April 1, 2004 12:52:03 AM

Quickly, Kinney, go find a post by Phial and down at the bottom you will see a hyperlink that says, "Do not click on this". Go ahead, click on it and see what the rest of the world thinks of you!

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!
April 1, 2004 1:02:09 AM

Ah.
I suppose I didnt realize you were actually trying to attack me with your comments.
Thats lame.

____________________________
:evil:  <b>RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR :evil:
Now he's a liberal.</font color=purple></b>
April 1, 2004 1:15:21 AM

Just kidding, but seriously, a lot of newbies are reading these posts trying to decide what to buy. Yesterday you scared them off of P4's and today you like them? Nothing personal, but the thread turned into a symposium on world politics. Chess, anyone?

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!
April 1, 2004 1:34:05 AM

The 'noobies' need to learn to think for themselves and examine both posts.

Before this OCP article I was curious about Prescott, but at the given price point, didnt see much reason to get one over a A64 2800/3000+ or if you needed cheaper a 2500+ mobile or not.

Now though, Prescott has earned its right as a viable CPU in my mind and I'd certainly buy this 2.4A over any other CPU under $150.

The world politics started because P4man posted there and he likes VIA because they are anti-American, and his discrimination against Asians who dont speak perfect English is disgustingly ethnocentric.. just a few of his twisted viewpoints.
Heh, I wont go there any further.
But you were probably owed an explanation for that stuff in the other thread.

But I never "disliked" P4s. I just like to get down to the bacon on what to buy and what not to buy.. so I hope I help out some noobz.

____________________________
:evil:  <b>RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR :evil:
Now he's a liberal.</font color=purple></b>
April 1, 2004 1:51:49 AM

Nothing wrong with the 2.4 prescott looks like great value for the enthusiast overclocker.

Looks to me like all your recent posts are about trying to provoke a response out of p4man because you got your azz spanked so hard in the (others) forum. Am I right or are you going to deny that?

These are just forums to share knowledge ideas and to disagree agree and learn. Yes we all make mistakes get our back up based on our opinions. That's what I like most about THGF's,

Problem is you seem bitter when somebody does not agree with you. Sometimes you just got to let things go.

So what if p4-man's not a war mongeror he knows more about the high tech industry than you me and many others here combined.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.
April 1, 2004 2:22:06 AM

Quote:
Am I right or are you going to deny that?

Yep your wrong.
He is a hypocrite.
If I must explain myself and my views on that guy I will.
He claimed Omid said a ethnic slur against him, and then he has his own problems with known asian posters that dont speak proper English. Among other things.

If you honestly think his lack of answers and defeat in the Other forum was in any way a "win" you've got to be kidding.

So now whats your problem? You agree with P4mans views?
If not why do you care?

THIS, is a CPU forum... does that register with you?
If you wish to talk about other things then address me in the Other forum.
Last time I respond to things referring to 'Other' chatter.

____________________________
:evil:  <b>RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR :evil:
Now he's a liberal.</font color=purple></b>
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2004 2:38:23 AM

In Michigan, if you see an old, rusty, beatup, unmaintained car driving around, chances are it's an Oldsmobile. The OLDS 350 was a FAR superior engine to the Chevy 350, little things like the milled 7 bolt rocker cover rail meant no oil leaks, and GM dropped it only because the Chevy was cheaper to produce. In fact GM made several attempts to cheapen the Olds block before discontinuing it.

April 1, 2004 3:57:22 AM

Now though, Prescott has earned its right as a viable CPU in my mind and I'd certainly buy this 2.4A over any other CPU under $150.

I was at a local computer fair 10 days ago and guess what? Guys were selling USED unlocked 2500XP Bartons for anywhere from $120.00 to $140.00! And people were buying them! An unlocked XP1700 for $80.00? I bought a new retail boxed 2.8C from a kid who was convinced he needed an A64 for $170.00. I did not buy his brand new IS7 with all the trimmings for $60.00. Nooooooooooo, I bought a used MSI 875 Neo-FIS2R in the $180.00 retail box with all the pretty pictures for $95.00. When I got home I noticed it was Version 1! I got on the MSI web-site and went through pages and pages of problems with build 1, mostly BIOS issues. MSI put out version 2 with a completely different BIOS that will not work in version 1. (I'm tempted to swap chips but I doubt it will work). So, thanks to some truly beautiful packaging and more features than I will ever use (Supports ten hard drives? For what?), I am going to have a real fight on my hands getting this dog to hunt. The good news is if it's stable and they get the Prescotts to the point that I want one, I can drop one right in. The point is, price should not be the only factor in your choice of products. Pretty packaging should play a role too!

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!
April 1, 2004 4:27:54 AM

Re: Am I right or are you going to deny that?
Yep your wrong.
He is a hypocrite.

Ok have it your way it's got absolutely nothing to do with the (others) section.

Re: He claimed Omid said a ethnic slur against him, and then he has his own problems with known asian posters that don’t speak proper English. Among other things.

I have seen omid make childish slurs (do you need a link) the guy is mongoloid do I need to say more. Lesson 1 Never use omid to back your case up. BTW I thought it was you in the (others) section who brought up the dominant English language which is an irrelevant argument to begin with.

Re: If you honestly think his lack of answers and defeat in the Other forum was in any way a "win" you've got to be kidding.

well I do see you are still posting there but you are losing the debate. Once you start throwing cheap insults to back up your case you loose much credibility. p4-man is throwing them as well but not to your extent and they seem to be a response to your insults.

Re: So now whats your problem? You agree with P4mans views?
If not why do you care?

I agree with his cpu views for the most part. His political views not as much. I form my own opinion on world events and I do not entirely agree with p4-man but make no mistake I don't agree with you ether. Maybe I'll make a post in there. So why do I care? Because even though you are denying it (just as I thought you might) there is no need to drag your hostility in world events into the cpu forums. Leave your hatred for p4mans politics in the other forum and dint drag it over here.

Re: THIS, is a CPU forum... does that register with you?
If you wish to talk about other things then address me in the Other forum.
Last time I respond to things referring to 'Other' chatter.

Please see above...

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.
April 1, 2004 6:28:53 AM

The 2.4 prescott is ok, not an upgrade for the mobile xp2500+, but 50% more $
The chips I think most interesting right now would be the A64 DTRs. New egg is selling them for the same money as the regular chips. If the mobile A64 has the features of the xp-m chips (unlocked?, highly oc-able, great thermal etc) it will be the one to get. Hope we hear some about it soon.
April 1, 2004 2:24:06 PM

Quote:
I may toot my horn, and very loudly.. but I am a true child of the Information Age, or whatever age we're in now.

Social acceptance of the Information Age is what we are in now. Basically waiting for the technologies to trickle down to the lesser aspects of our globe.

Xeon

April 1, 2004 5:30:55 PM

Actually, P4man quit posting factual information some time ago and is now resorting to only insults.
As far as those who support him, I'm ignoring them to concentrate soley on Bob (P4).
As far as omid, that is an opinion. He isnt my favorite either. I was using him to display a point, not back a case up.. i think you know the difference.

Nothings been dragged here, you have tainted my new cpu thread and that p*sses me off.
I dont see what this thread had ANYTHING to do with p4man.. but what the f*ck ever.

____________________________
:evil:  <b>RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR :evil:
Now he's a liberal.</font color=purple></b>
April 1, 2004 5:42:32 PM

Ive decided that like you, I can drop a Prescott in later.

But the difference in my method is that the 2.4A is cheap enough (cheaper than your 2.8C) that once they get the Prescott even better (I feel the 2.4 is already good) I can replace it feeling and knowing full well that I only paid $140. :smile:

So we have the same philosophy, I'm just saving around $50 (new pricing of course) :wink:

____________________________
:evil:  <b>RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR :evil:
Now he's a liberal.</font color=purple></b>
April 1, 2004 5:44:12 PM

pauvre, pauvre kinney...

His thread has been tainted by evil liberal views. Why whatever <i>shall</i> he do?

April 1, 2004 6:46:43 PM

Okay, I'll bite.

>He claimed Omid said a ethnic slur against him, and then he
>has his own problems with known asian posters that dont
>speak proper English

I have a problem with posters that post gazillions of posts typically not longer than a single line of ununderstandable english not even trying to make themselves understood, that are too lazy to even use quote tags or ">" marks, making it extremely hard to read, and that not even ONCE tried to use URL tags. I was also not aware he was Asian, I thought (and still think) he is either French or Canadian. So much for "ethnic slur".

>If you honestly think his lack of answers and defeat in the
>Other forum was in any way a "win" you've got to be
>kidding.

My apologies to those who read this and are not interested in politics or Kinney's personal vendetta's, but if some of you are interested, feel free to make up your own mind, and go <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new"> here </A>
Its a mighty long thread about homosexuality in which Kinney claimed it was unnatural and therefore automatically unacceptable. After the reply I linked to, he bailed out claiming to have no time, but instead continued the discussion (if it can be called that) through dozens of PMs for some odd reason.

edit: if you have time to spare, you may quickly glance over the rest of the thread as well, and decide for yourselve who is the one resorting to insults, and how this relates to Kinneys claim of me being a hypocrite.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by P4Man on 04/01/04 02:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 1, 2004 8:06:21 PM

Don't try so hard...

He is your mental inferior with a huge superiority complex. About as much point arguing with kinney as trying to convice Osama to convert to Christianity.

Yes, he's fun to play with, but no reason to get worked-up.

Btw, before this degenerates into a shat slinging contest, the 2.4E, if it keeps it's 3Ghz+ promise looks like a really good deal. Especially if you don't care about heat.

April 1, 2004 8:41:33 PM

My God you are immature.

This is a CPU forum.

So what? I dont agree that homosexuality is OK.
You have personal interest in that arena because your brother is a homosexual. You were never going to give in.
The reason we went to PMs because I wanted YOU to answer to me without people like that absolutely stupid Snorkius from butting in.
He has nothing to ever add that means anything.
I'll admit I'd rather debate with you than him and people like him were who I was cutting out of the picture.

People can check <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new">this thread</A> to see you get crushed on your stance on the war on terror.

I'm not going to be stupid and drag this on anymore.
Either talk CPUs or let it go, this thread had nothing to do with you.

I'm not going to let you and those who agree with you get the best of me anymore.

____________________________
:evil:  <b>RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR :evil:
Now he's a liberal.</font color=purple></b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kinney on 04/01/04 03:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 1, 2004 8:48:59 PM

My reply wasnt as much targetted to Kinney as to anyone else happening to read it. While I have no intentions of replying to each and every of his smearing posts, his personal vendetta against me is getting sort of ironic; I guess its an antagonistic reaction to his own posts a few months ago where he wanted to elect me Forum President and called me "that mighty Belgian", and now I am truly the dumbest poster on this forum and a weak, spineless loser :)  As always with Kinney, if its not black, its white, and things tend to flip flop from one extreme to other quite rapidly. But I think I'd rather be black in his opinion than white anyway, so its fine by me.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
April 1, 2004 8:51:47 PM

Oh really ? Thats why you bring up my name usually in combination with a few insults and baseless accusations in just about any post in this CPU forum, even in threads I did not even participate in ? And you call <b>me</b> a hypocrite ?

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
April 1, 2004 9:01:41 PM

Well, I agree with your CPU views but you have an absolutely disgusting social view and I just cant support that...

but thats for the OTHER forum.

That 'darko' guy brought you up here, not me.

____________________________
:evil:  <b>RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR :evil:
Now he's a liberal.</font color=purple></b>
April 1, 2004 9:22:57 PM

Quote:
In Michigan, if you see an old, rusty, beatup, unmaintained car driving around, chances are it's an Oldsmobile. The OLDS 350 was a FAR superior engine to the Chevy 350, little things like the milled 7 bolt rocker cover rail meant no oil leaks, and GM dropped it only because the Chevy was cheaper to produce. In fact GM made several attempts to cheapen the Olds block before discontinuing it.

Oh thank God I have this to respond too. I cant even respond to one more political thread or insult or I think I'll puke.

The 350 olds motor was good. In fact that motor GM converted to diesel.
It was heavy built.
But would NOT run with Chevy 327 let alone a 350.
They discontined probably in late 70's. GM ended up putting 350 Chevys in Oldsmobiles, even got sued over it. That says it all, I think.

____________________________
:evil:  <b>RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR :evil:
Now he's a liberal.</font color=purple></b>
April 1, 2004 10:14:30 PM

Re: That 'darko' guy brought you up here, not me.

Negative....

You posted the below comment (before my first post) trying to drag p4man into an argument where he would have to defend the un popular via. Looks to me like you were trying to entice p4man into an argument where you had a tactical advantage no wonder they call you the forum warrior.

The world politics started because P4man posted there and he likes VIA because they are anti-American, and his discrimination against Asians who don’t speak perfect English is disgustingly ethnocentric.. just a few of his twisted viewpoints.
Heh, I wont go there any further.
But you were probably owed an explanation for that stuff in the other thread.

And sorry for ruining your thread please forgive me for posting once again in your thread. Maybe we can patch things up, I here by cordially invite you to participate in any thread started by me.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.
April 1, 2004 11:01:05 PM

Quote:

Poster: darko21

Re: That 'darko' guy brought you up here, not me.

Negative....

You posted the below comment (before my first post) trying to drag p4man into an argument where he would have to defend the un popular via. Looks to me like you were trying to entice p4man into an argument where you had a tactical advantage no wonder they call you the forum warrior.

Fair enough. You are correct.

But I was -not- the one to bring up OTHER forum issues. I've mentioned plenty of people in the past in references in my posts, and I see this one as no different (mentioning P4man).

Quote:
And sorry for ruining your thread please forgive me for posting once again in your thread. Maybe we can patch things up, I here by cordially invite you to participate in any thread started by me.

If your serious, no hard feelings.
I'm getting a bit tired of posting recently. All I really want out of P4man is either for him to finish the 'War on Terror' debate with me, or concede defeat if hes not going to defend his POV.
All these side arguments arent helping achieve this as its my only goal.

____________________________
:evil:  <b>RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR :evil:
Now he's a liberal.</font color=purple></b>
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2004 12:49:50 AM

Actually GM got sued for putting Olds motors in Cadilacs. That says a lot about Olds quality if Cadilac was willing to use them. They discontinued in 1989, nearly all V8 powered oldsmobiles had olds power until 1989, allong with a bunch of Pontiacs, some Buicks, and some Cadilacs. The 350CI displacement was discontinued in the late 70's, but the same design was used for the 307 unitl 89. The 350R could make about the same power as a 350 Chevy if both used similar aftermarket induction with stock heads. Chevy got a performance advantage from aftermarket heads, which weren't available for Olds until the early 90's.

Of course that's not ENTIRELY true, there was the Batton heads durring the 80's, but those were for BOAT racing.

I have a race engine based on the 350DX (diesel) block, gas rods, and .30 425 pistons. This short stroke engine makes 377ci, but the "C" casting heads got damaged durring machine work, and I can't afford Edelbrock heads to replace them (yet).

April 2, 2004 3:15:44 AM

so lets assume that the 3.3ghz Prescott-A is comparable to a 3.0ghz P4-C due to hyperthreading and the other things that make the prescott generally slower clock for clock

i say "meh" to that.. and SSE3? yea that is kinda cool, but how many apps use SSE2 even now ?

honestly im asking, because I have no idea... but if its anything like how long it took SSE2 to catch on, youll probably be upgrading before its actually used in anythying ;)

honestly, id rather have a mobile-barton @ 2.4ghz on a nforce2 board. i try not to be biased, but the barton system would be overall cheaper, faster, and cooler (gaming especialy)

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
April 2, 2004 4:46:13 AM

Ok, apologize if this' been said alrdy, too lz to read all the posts. Just reminder the D0 stepping's coming out around May 20th, however wait 'til end of June before purchasing one, just to make sure the old stock has been cleared out.

And Athlon64 has a 2800+ coming out, clocked at 1.8Ghz with 512k of L2 Cache. Priced very low, combining it with a cheap Nforce3 150 board with locked AGP could be an interesting OC combo.

-AMD Athlon64 3200+@2300mhz -GAK8N -3x512 Hynix PC3200 ram@192mhz 2.5-3-3-7 -Albatron 5900PV @ 509/1000 -SB Audigy -Adaptec 1210SA Raid -2x120G Seagate SATA150 7200.7 Raid0 -Enermax 460watt psu
April 2, 2004 6:21:29 AM

Quote:
honestly, id rather have a mobile-barton @ 2.4ghz on a nforce2 board. i try not to be biased, but the barton system would be overall cheaper, faster, and cooler (gaming especialy)

Yeah I'm having a hard time deciding.
I've been having PM convos with Paul on this as hes a system builder and knows more about real world experience with this stuff than I do..

I like the AMD stuff, but am reluctant to buy yet another AXP.. thats silly but still.. I'm ready to move on.
For me its either A64 (for around $200 with a more expensive motherboard, and with mobos I'm not incredibly excited about until the new NF3 is out), or the 2.4A for $140, great overclockability and cheap 865 boards ($40US refurb on newegg).
But no HT..
then again tho, with it being $140 I feel like upgrading sooner than usual when the Prescott gets a bit more mature.

I wouldnt object to a o/c'd MXP.. but I want a new sys for my NV40/radeon whatever one isnt a flop.

____________________________
:evil:  <b>RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR :evil:
Now he's a liberal.</font color=purple></b>
April 2, 2004 6:25:44 AM

Yeah, I wish the 2800+ would go lower than the $175 its on pricewatch for.
After seeing this 2.4A going for $140.. regardless of the performance difference, I'm just Too cheap... :smile:

____________________________
:evil:  <b>RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR :evil:
Now he's a liberal.</font color=purple></b>
April 2, 2004 12:17:30 PM

you people do realise that thios is just a marketing ploy by intel dont you???? they CANT produce high end scotties with being mocked by the industry for temperature problems so what doo they do.... yep thats right downclock the 3.0-3.4GHz parts andsell them as 2.4GHz get the enthusiasts happy let them overclock a little bit just so that they get to like the scotty despite its flaws and then when they finally sort out the heat problems maybe no one will remember them as space heaters but rather they will be remembered as overclocking gods.. its all about public image. by the way this forum is a mess... get some moderators already that will keep threads on track
April 2, 2004 12:34:06 PM

>i say "meh" to that.. and SSE3? yea that is kinda cool, but
>how many apps use SSE2 even now ?

Quite a few really, especially games -though it does not seem to have a huge impact on performance there- but media de/en-coding, image processing, and 3D rendering stuff is widely making use of SSE2 today, and it certainly helps performance there, sometimes very significantly.

SSE3 OTOH, is not even in the same league as SSE2 as a performance enhancer. I mean, SSE 2.01 would probably be a better name to describe it, from what I read, it seems more like a "bugfix" than anything else. Nothing to hold your breath for, even if application support would follow quickly (which probably won't happen, as the benefit just isn't there).

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
April 2, 2004 4:25:08 PM

Quote:
by the way this forum is a mess... get some moderators already that will keep threads on track

ive been saying that for over a year *sigh*

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
April 2, 2004 4:29:41 PM

i thoguth SSE3 was those two new instructions... the ones where a loop could halt and wait until a needed piece of data is free/available allowing other instructions to use the cpu, instead of looping over and over again meanwhile blocking other instructions from continueing?

those sound pretty significant to me, but yea your right itsnot much of an improvement considering what SSE1/2 did

btw Kinney: A64's are supposed to have SSE3 soon ;)

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
April 2, 2004 4:49:00 PM

If the price is right, these marketing ploys work on me.

____________________________
:evil:  <b>RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR :evil:
Now he's a liberal.</font color=purple></b>
April 3, 2004 12:26:51 AM

I think your messed up a bit.
GM dropped all Pontiac,Oldsmobile, Buick( except 3.8 V6-which became 3800) & Cadillac engines (later they did Northstar/Aurora). I'm sure it did not happen all at once and they MAY have out Olds motors in other GM cars, but the only V8 motors left where BB & SB Chevrolets.
Who won out? Look under the hood of a NEW GTO- LS1 Chevrolet.

Its Olds man Vs. Chevy Man!!!!
Anyway, I'm just teasin ya :wink:

Its strange to meet other people who are devoted to their particular section of GM.
I was raised in a Chevy household.. but we had nearly all GM brands at one time or another.

Reason I knew they converted that Olds to diesel is because my mom used to drive a Delta 88 with that motor in it :smile:

Ah the good old days.
I'm not particularly a "chevy guy", I'm about GM period.
So much variety and their stuff is the best, if you ask me :smile:

____________________________
:evil:  <b>RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR :evil:
Now he's a liberal.</font color=purple></b>
a b à CPUs
April 3, 2004 1:01:39 AM

Like I said, Olds 307 lived to 1989 where it was dropped completely. In fact they dropped it when they dropped the cars it came in. The main reason for dropping it was finances.

April 3, 2004 10:34:29 AM

>i thoguth SSE3 was those two new instructions..

Its actually 13 new instructions, I think you are confusing with the 2 new instructions that relate to HT.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
!