would this be smart?

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I am currently trying to get my system very quite on a minimal budget which I would like to say I have already spent, though I would consider a bit more if I needed to. Right now I have three case fans on at 12V, it's a vantec stealth and as quite as I need it. The other two fans are Thermaltakes running off 5V for exhaust. I just got a Zalman PSU that is very quite, now all I am hearing is my CPU fan, which is the Vantec Aeroflow. I was wondering, since my CPU temp is at 25 C idle and only up to 34 C at full load after long times, would it be reasonable to run my CPU fan off 5V instead of 12V to limit noise?

The other idea I had is to put a larger fan on the heatsink with a duct to funnel the air and run it at lower speeds/lower sound.

Or would I be better off picking up a new fan and heatsink?

The third idea I have is to create my own fan speed controller for the CPU fan based on temperature. I have a Gigabyte GA7VAXP board and just need to figure out where I can get a temp reading from to run the fan controller off of. I am planning on using a Microchip fan controller, which I already have. If anyone knows how I could get the CPU temp reading off the board, that would be really helpful.

And that concludes this randomly assembled post.

CPU: XP 1800+
Mobo: GA7VAXP
RAM: Infineon 512MB PC2700
HD: Maxtor 60GB

<b>Just because I like AMD or Intel more at a time because of one product compared to another, does not make me a fan boy, it makes me a person who is able to make a decision for myself.</b>

endyen

Splendid
You may have a simple solution already. If that chip came with an hsf, take the fan off the stock unit and attach it to the vantec hs. It will not be as cool, but should be quieter. Just make sure it is cool enough.

pat

Expert
Or you can rewire your fans to be serial. Take 2 fans. You connect one red wire from a fan to a black to the other fan, take the red that remain to connect to the power source and the black wire that remain to the ground. You'll have 2 fans to on connector. If you're not sure about doing that, write me back. So, your fans will run half speed (6v instead of 12v) and make less noise.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Best yet run them at 7 volts. I put a switch that allows me to run at 12v when necessary.

<A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com/tips766/" target="_new">http://www.overclockers.com/tips766/</A>

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Thanks, that looks like a quick little project I could do. Well, I better be able to do it since I am in electronics :)

<b>Just because I like AMD or Intel more at a time because of one product compared to another, does not make me a fan boy, it makes me a person who is able to make a decision for myself.</b>

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
Buy a variable resister - "POT", of the correct value, then adjust while monitoring the temp.

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I'll probably pick up a POT some time, for now I am just running the fan of 7V as mentioned above and it has only made a difference of 3 degrees idle and not much more of a difference at full load, so I think I can definately pursue some lower noise options.