WindowsXP - printing a directory

Before XP, I could do a few things with "Explorer" that I do not know how to do with XP.

1) I want to print the list of files in a specific directory, but have no idea on how to do it.

2) I would like to know the number of KB or MB that is in a specific directory without having to
add them manually..

3) I would like to select a number of files in a directory and know how many KB/MB have been
selected.

Can anyone help?

Thank you,
Jim Y
9 answers Last reply
More about windowsxp printing directory

    You may need a program like Print Folder in order to print a list of files.

    To see the size of a folder, right click on it and select Properties.

    To see the size of multiple folders hold down the Cntrl key, left click on
    the folders then right click on the group and select Properties.

    --
    Don
    Vancouver, USA

    Jim Y wrote:

    > Before XP, I could do a few things with "Explorer" that I do not know how to do with XP.
    >
    > 1) I want to print the list of files in a specific directory, but have no idea on how to do it.
    >
    > 2) I would like to know the number of KB or MB that is in a specific directory without having to
    > add them manually..
    >
    > 3) I would like to select a number of files in a directory and know how many KB/MB have been
    > selected.
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Jim Y

    1.

    How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321379

    2.
    Directory Size in Explorer Details View
    http://markd.mvps.org/

    3. In Explorer Click View | Status Bar

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Thank you Don,
    Jim Y

    "Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
    > You may need a program like Print Folder in order to print a list of files.
    >
    > To see the size of a folder, right click on it and select Properties.
    >
    > To see the size of multiple folders hold down the Cntrl key, left click on the folders then right
    > click on the group and select Properties.
    >

    > --
    > Don
    > Vancouver, USA
    >

    > "Jim Y" <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAM.att.net> wrote in message
    >> Before XP, I could do a few things with "Explorer" that I do not know how to do with XP.
    >>
    >> 1) I want to print the list of files in a specific directory, but have no idea on how to do
    >> it.
    >>
    >> 2) I would like to know the number of KB or MB that is in a specific directory without having
    >> to add them manually..
    >>
    >> 3) I would like to select a number of files in a directory and know how many KB/MB have been
    >> selected.
    >>
    >> Can anyone help?
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >> Jim Y

    Rock,

    Thanks for the site. A nice add and will use it.

    --
    Don
    Vancouver, USA

    "Jim Y" wrote:

    > Before XP, I could do a few things with "Explorer" that I do not know how to do with XP.
    >
    > 1) I want to print the list of files in a specific directory, but have no idea on how to do it.
    >
    > 2) I would like to know the number of KB or MB that is in a specific directory without having to
    > add them manually..
    >
    > 3) I would like to select a number of files in a directory and know how many KB/MB have been
    > selected.
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Jim Y

    Hello, This site may be helpful: http://www.karenware.com/powertools
    This is the Directory Printer program described in Karen's Power Tools
    Newsletter. It allows you to print the names of the files found on your
    drives, and a whole lot more. It can also save the information about your
    files to a text file, allowing it to be imported into a spreadsheet,
    word-processing document, database, e-mailed, etc.
    take care
    beamish

    Jim Y wrote:
    > Before XP, I could do a few things with "Explorer" that I do not know how to do with XP.
    >
    > 1) I want to print the list of files in a specific directory, but have no idea on how to do it.

    From the command prompt (Start > Run > Cmd.exe), simply change to the
    desired directory and type "dir > filelist.txt" or "dir > lpt1," just as
    you used to do in DOS. Any of the switches for the DIR command (type
    "dir /?") will work with this command, if you wish to modify the
    output. You can then subsequently edit the resulting text file using
    NotePad, WordPad, Word, etc.

    Alternatively:

    HOW TO Add a Print Directory Feature for Folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379

    > 2) I would like to know the number of KB or MB that is in a specific directory without having to
    > add them manually..

    So set the folder view options according to your desires in Windows
    Explorer. (Tools > Folder Options > View)

    > 3) I would like to select a number of files in a directory and know how many KB/MB have been
    > selected.

    Again, set the folder view options according to your desires in Windows
    Explorer. (Tools > Folder Options > View)

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:13:31 +1000, "David Candy" <.> wrote:

    As always, David:

    Don't post binaries in a TEXT newsgroup. I didn't want this possibly
    lethal, unknown VB Script file on my hard drive.

    Where have you been lately?

    On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 12:22:26 +1000, "David Candy" <.> wrote:

    >Where have you been lately?

    I've been here - you just have been posting many binaries (that I've
    seen, anyway) that much lately.

Windows XP