WindowsXP - printing a directory

September 15, 2005 6:18:13 AM

Before XP, I could do a few things with "Explorer" that I do not know how to do with XP.

1) I want to print the list of files in a specific directory, but have no idea on how to do it.

2) I would like to know the number of KB or MB that is in a specific directory without having to
add them manually..

3) I would like to select a number of files in a directory and know how many KB/MB have been
selected.

Can anyone help?

Thank you,
Jim Y
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 6:18:14 AM

You may need a program like Print Folder in order to print a list of files.

To see the size of a folder, right click on it and select Properties.

To see the size of multiple folders hold down the Cntrl key, left click on
the folders then right click on the group and select Properties.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

"Jim Y" <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAM.att.net> wrote in message
> Before XP, I could do a few things with "Explorer" that I do not know how
> to do with XP.
>
> 1) I want to print the list of files in a specific directory, but have
> no idea on how to do it.
>
> 2) I would like to know the number of KB or MB that is in a specific
> directory without having to add them manually..
>
> 3) I would like to select a number of files in a directory and know how
> many KB/MB have been selected.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thank you,
> Jim Y

September 15, 2005 6:18:14 AM

Jim Y wrote:

> Before XP, I could do a few things with "Explorer" that I do not know how to do with XP.
>
> 1) I want to print the list of files in a specific directory, but have no idea on how to do it.
>
> 2) I would like to know the number of KB or MB that is in a specific directory without having to
> add them manually..
>
> 3) I would like to select a number of files in a directory and know how many KB/MB have been
> selected.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thank you,
> Jim Y

1.

How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321379

2.
Directory Size in Explorer Details View
http://markd.mvps.org/

3. In Explorer Click View | Status Bar

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Thank you Don,
Jim Y

"Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
> You may need a program like Print Folder in order to print a list of files.
>
> To see the size of a folder, right click on it and select Properties.
>
> To see the size of multiple folders hold down the Cntrl key, left click on the folders then right
> click on the group and select Properties.
>

> --
> Don
> Vancouver, USA
>

> "Jim Y" <j.s.yablonsky@NOSPAM.att.net> wrote in message
>> Before XP, I could do a few things with "Explorer" that I do not know how to do with XP.
>>
>> 1) I want to print the list of files in a specific directory, but have no idea on how to do
>> it.
>>
>> 2) I would like to know the number of KB or MB that is in a specific directory without having
>> to add them manually..
>>
>> 3) I would like to select a number of files in a directory and know how many KB/MB have been
>> selected.
>>
>> Can anyone help?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Jim Y

Anonymous
September 15, 2005 9:30:52 AM

Rock,

Thanks for the site. A nice add and will use it.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
> Jim Y wrote:
>
>> Before XP, I could do a few things with "Explorer" that I do not know how
>> to do with XP.
>>
>> 1) I want to print the list of files in a specific directory, but have
>> no idea on how to do it.
>>
>> 2) I would like to know the number of KB or MB that is in a specific
>> directory without having to add them manually..
>>
>> 3) I would like to select a number of files in a directory and know
>> how many KB/MB have been selected.
>>
>> Can anyone help?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Jim Y
>
> 1.
>
> How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321379
>
> 2.
> Directory Size in Explorer Details View
> http://markd.mvps.org/
>
> 3. In Explorer Click View | Status Bar
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Anonymous
September 15, 2005 12:08:10 PM

"Jim Y" wrote:

> Before XP, I could do a few things with "Explorer" that I do not know how to do with XP.
>
> 1) I want to print the list of files in a specific directory, but have no idea on how to do it.
>
> 2) I would like to know the number of KB or MB that is in a specific directory without having to
> add them manually..
>
> 3) I would like to select a number of files in a directory and know how many KB/MB have been
> selected.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thank you,
> Jim Y

Hello, This site may be helpful: http://www.karenware.com/powertools
This is the Directory Printer program described in Karen's Power Tools
Newsletter. It allows you to print the names of the files found on your
drives, and a whole lot more. It can also save the information about your
files to a text file, allowing it to be imported into a spreadsheet,
word-processing document, database, e-mailed, etc.
take care
beamish
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 10:51:27 PM

Jim Y wrote:
> Before XP, I could do a few things with "Explorer" that I do not know how to do with XP.
>
> 1) I want to print the list of files in a specific directory, but have no idea on how to do it.

From the command prompt (Start > Run > Cmd.exe), simply change to the
desired directory and type "dir > filelist.txt" or "dir > lpt1," just as
you used to do in DOS. Any of the switches for the DIR command (type
"dir /?") will work with this command, if you wish to modify the
output. You can then subsequently edit the resulting text file using
NotePad, WordPad, Word, etc.

Alternatively:

HOW TO Add a Print Directory Feature for Folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379

> 2) I would like to know the number of KB or MB that is in a specific directory without having to
> add them manually..

So set the folder view options according to your desires in Windows
Explorer. (Tools > Folder Options > View)

> 3) I would like to select a number of files in a directory and know how many KB/MB have been
> selected.

Again, set the folder view options according to your desires in Windows
Explorer. (Tools > Folder Options > View)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 1:12:03 AM

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:13:31 +1000, "David Candy" <.> wrote:

As always, David:

Don't post binaries in a TEXT newsgroup. I didn't want this possibly
lethal, unknown VB Script file on my hard drive.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 4:22:26 PM

Where have you been lately?

"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message news:jt6ki1hreu7c129pso50176m3e48pfc21c@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:13:31 +1000, "David Candy" <.> wrote:
>
> As always, David:
>
> Don't post binaries in a TEXT newsgroup. I didn't want this possibly
> lethal, unknown VB Script file on my hard drive.

Anonymous
September 16, 2005 11:16:09 PM

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 12:22:26 +1000, "David Candy" <.> wrote:

>Where have you been lately?

I've been here - you just have been posting many binaries (that I've
seen, anyway) that much lately.
!